TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: For the CCL skeptics...

Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

17 wins in two years after winning 7 in the two years before. If we win our bowl game, CL will have matched Fritz for total wins in the same time frame.

We dealt with an enormous amount of injuries this season along with off-field issues, the passing of a player, suspensions, etc. and played 4 teams that won 10 or more games. CL recognized that 7-5 isn't good enough, but given everything we've dealt with and the schedule we played, 7-5 is about as good as we could've hoped for.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    17 wins in two years after winning 7 in the two years before. If we win our bowl game, CL will have matched Fritz for total wins in the same time frame.

We dealt with an enormous amount of injuries this season along with off-field issues, the passing of a player, suspensions, etc. and played 4 teams that won 10 or more games. CL recognized that 7-5 isn't good enough, but given everything we've dealt with and the schedule we played, 7-5 is about as good as we could've hoped for.
    Yep I agree. I picked us going 7-5 before the season started and we won some I thought we would lose and lost some I thought we would win. But after starting 1-3 and all the things you listed that this team had to face, 7-5 and going to a bowl is very good. Let's win the bowl and recruit our best class ever and fill the holes we need!
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    EXCUSES are just that.
    Also that is right we never had injuries when Fritz was coach...facepalm...I dont think Ellison was completley healthy for two years. How many of our back ups were FCS players that barely made and FCS roster replacing injured players for Fritz for two years and yet won and were rarely blown out. Comparing the two coaches without recognizing the talent gap is asinine. We also changed the offenses from Monken to Fritz. Fritz's defenses were way better with lesser talent and he would not have gone 7-5 this year that is the point, that is all on coaching and development because you cant tell me overall top to bottom the roster is worse. All but three wins could have went the other way with one bad play including squeaking by a bad FCS team. You cant look at this years results regardless of record and say we were as good as last year or headed in the right direction. At best we regressed on defense and maintained on offense.

Also recruiting would not have been 122 out of 131.

Ill never get the fanatics that get so enamored with another dude. He is a temporary employee good or bad, if Fritz went 7-5 this way I would be critical of him as well. The weird man crushes some folks get at the expense of the program is creepy. I hope I am wrong but this defense is prone to getting blown out several times a year to even bad teams, the recruiting has been well below average G5 and mid pack Belt and I just dont see us taking the next step to the point where the highlight of the season is more than beating a rival and making a bowl game. He certainly deserves more time I just dont have a good feeling especially with next years OOC.
    Guess who's back......

The only difference in excuses and reasons is the perspective of the person saying/reading it.

It's not about man crushes, it's about what is best for this program. And right now, continuing with CCL and giving him all the support that he needs and deserves is what's best for the program. The OP was simply comparing his record to Fritz's to give the naysayers a little perspective.

In a normal year 7-5 inhales vigorously. This isn't a normal year. Considering what happened to us in '16 and '17, I'll take it for now. The majority of the people that were realistic in their predictions before the season started said we would be 7-5 or 8-4 at best and that's exactly where we are.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by 82eagle View Post
    I've been an Eagle from the start and I get winning. "Not acceptable" based on what? I'd rather win more also but we have one of the lowest budgets in FBS. Our conference is showing itself reasonably well. Do we have to win just because "we're Georgia Southern and we're supposed to win?" Man, I wish it were that simple.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Guess who's back......

The only difference in excuses and reasons is the perspective of the person saying/reading it.

It's not about man crushes, it's about what is best for this program. And right now, continuing with CCL and giving him all the support that he needs and deserves is what's best for the program. The OP was simply comparing his record to Fritz's to give the naysayers a little perspective.

In a normal year 7-5 inhales vigorously. This isn't a normal year. Considering what happened to us in '16 and '17, I'll take it for now. The majority of the people that were realistic in their predictions before the season started said we would be 7-5 or 8-4 at best and that's exactly where we are.
    Use of the word "excuses" is just a lazy way to dismiss the challenges a team rather than looking at them critically and intelligently.

If you can find a team in a comparable situation fine, but saying "everyone has injuries" doesn't make our situation equivalent to everyone else. How many Georgia Southern football teams have the cumulative lost starts by the starting 5 from preseason. I won't hold my breath waiting for any of the coaching staff critics to find a comparable example. The closest analogue would be 2013 (what a coincidence, another season where people were questioning the coaches and we had a season with high highs and low lows) but at least the OL mostly stayed healthy that season and we had decent B-backs to take over without Swope.

That's not to say there haven't been some games where the coaches could've done a better job. But I saw several games from Fritz that we were clearly not prepared for and he came here with 2 decades of HC experience and CCL has been a HC 2 years. And you just can't compare Fritz taking over with the roster he had and CCL taking over after Summers' incompetence on top of coaching turnover.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

6. Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

Quote Originally Posted by gsusae View Post
    In his post game I liked what he said. 7-5 isn’t good enough at Southern but the seniors battled from 7 wins in two years to 17 the last two. He was pretty fired up defending them.
    He should have been. You could tell he was acknowledging the sector of the fan base that wants to go back to the good ol' days of beating VMI 70-7. But, all season long he has been telling people to stop the negativity and look at what this senior class has over come. I have been following the program for 30 years and the true low point for me was the UMASS game 2 years ago. Look what has happened since then. Lunsford has us on the right track. I just hope our fans continue to support him and give him the time to get us back to the top.

7. Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    EXCUSES are just that.
    Also that is right we never had injuries when Fritz was coach...facepalm...I dont think Ellison was completley healthy for two years. How many of our back ups were FCS players that barely made and FCS roster replacing injured players for Fritz for two years and yet won and were rarely blown out. Comparing the two coaches without recognizing the talent gap is asinine. We also changed the offenses from Monken to Fritz. Fritz's defenses were way better with lesser talent and he would not have gone 7-5 this year that is the point, that is all on coaching and development because you cant tell me overall top to bottom the roster is worse. All but three wins could have went the other way with one bad play including squeaking by a bad FCS team. You cant look at this years results regardless of record and say we were as good as last year or headed in the right direction. At best we regressed on defense and maintained on offense.

Also recruiting would not have been 122 out of 131.

Ill never get the fanatics that get so enamored with another dude. He is a temporary employee good or bad, if Fritz went 7-5 this way I would be critical of him as well. The weird man crushes some folks get at the expense of the program is creepy. I hope I am wrong but this defense is prone to getting blown out several times a year to even bad teams, the recruiting has been well below average G5 and mid pack Belt and I just dont see us taking the next step to the point where the highlight of the season is more than beating a rival and making a bowl game. He certainly deserves more time I just dont have a good feeling especially with next years OOC.
    Excuses are sometimes completely valid. A Volkswagen Beetle has an excuse in a race with a Ferrari. We lost once to a Ferrari and lost a close one to a legitimate race car (Minnesota). Their budget is four times ours. It's also eye-opening that our opponents are collectively 20 games over .500. That qualifies as a very tough schedule.

We also beat our biggest rivals and will be bowling again. There are lots of legit teams that are done for the year.

We laid a couple of eggs that need attention so let's fire the coaching staff and start over again. But remember that we have to hire within our budget.

Fritz is not our coach anymore. Whether we could have kept him is another argument for another thread. I, for one, am pretty happy with letting CCL take some more steps.

8. Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

Whitley... we can’t afford to can Sloan. Could just be a safety issue.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle27 View Post
    Whitley... we can’t afford to can Sloan. Could just be a safety issue.
    I think our safeties were just a weak position. Based on how often Brinson and Vildor turned around to find somebody not there and then yelled at the safeties I’m inclined to believe they weren’t where they were suppose to be.

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    I think our safeties were just a weak position. Based on how often Brinson and Vildor turned around to find somebody not there and then yelled at the safeties I’m inclined to believe they weren’t where they were suppose to be.
    Sloan has basically said that the safeties are the quarterbacks of this defensive scheme and have the most responsibilities. I have hope that with more guys that have practiced and played multiple years under this defensive staff that that position will be better. Duncan seems to be playing the position quite well and I think Treun Pace, Java'n Singletary, and Reid Dedman are all promising.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.