TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: For the CCL skeptics...

Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Let this sink in: Coach Lunsford and this staff has now won as many games in two seasons as Fritz did in his two seasons here (depending on whether you count the vacated ULM win in 2014) with still 1 game remaining. And with more roster limitations and arguably tougher conference schedule. I feel fine about this coaching staff going forward.
    We had FCS players and were not allowed to go to a bowl game, context is important but as usual never employed on this board. The first year in the FBS was actually a historic one and you cant put that season up against any subsequent. You just shining a turd of a season but it is still a turd, 7-5 is a joke the way we lost not just because of the record. We beat two FBS teams with winning records and gave up 28 points or more five times this season. Willie's teams gave up 28 or more just six times in two seasons. If they dont pull their heads out of their butts in recruiting and on defense we will not be winning any trophies anytime soon.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by gsuoption View Post
    GSU probably has the most coaching staff in the Sun Belt.... we needn't worry if they are good enough for Georgia Southern, but instead, who else is going to notice them and try to take them. The HC, OC, and DC are top notch. Winning 10 games in year one and having a chance at 8 wins in year 2 (with lots of injuries, youth, etc) is fantastic.
    What? Nobody is looking at any of our coaches.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by JDC325 View Post
    We had FCS players and were not allowed to go to a bowl game, context is important but as usual never employed on this board. The first year in the FBS was actually a historic one and you cant put that season up against any subsequent. You just shining a turd of a season but it is still a turd, 7-5 is a joke the way we lost not just because of the record. We beat two FBS teams with winning records and gave up 28 points or more five times this season. Willie's teams gave up 28 or more just six times in two seasons. If they dont pull their heads out of their butts in recruiting and on defense we will not be winning any trophies anytime soon.
    The context that matters here is having the starting QB out for 2.5 games, having our best offensive player sitting out 4 games, having our best IZ runner out for half the season, our best offensive linemen out for the season, and 3 other OL starters out for an extended period time while we have limited depth at key positions because of coaching turnover and a supremely incompetent head coaching here. If you could go back to the beginning of the season and tell people you'd be dealing with these and other off-field issues, most would probably be good with 7-5.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 1st December 2019 at 01:04 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

I'd like to see something done about the secondary, they looked completely lost against Ark St and Troy. I can excuse the O-Line's struggles given the injuries but we aren't going to get another conference championship without being able to stop a good HUNH high flying offense next year.

Quote Originally Posted by introvertedGSUfan View Post
    I'd like to see something done about the secondary, they looked completely lost against Ark St and Troy. I can excuse the O-Line's struggles given the injuries but we aren't going to get another conference championship without being able to stop a good HUNH high flying offense next year.
    I agree that our pass defense needs improvement. What’s worrisome is that it might be awhile before we have a top-three at CB as good as this season’s seniors, but our pass defense essentially gave us no chance to beat Troy or Ark St.

Those performances can’t be chalked up to a lack of defensive talent, IMO.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I agree that our pass defense needs improvement. What’s worrisome is that it might be awhile before we have a top-three at CB as good as this season’s seniors, but our pass defense essentially gave us no chance to beat Troy or Ark St.

Those performances can’t be chalked up to a lack of defensive talent, IMO.
    Our safety play has been our weakness the last two seasons.

I expect corners to get challenged a bit more next year though.

The context that matters here is having the starting QB out for 2.5 games, having our best offensive player sitting out 4 games, having our best IZ runner out for half the season, our best offensive linemen out for the season, and 3 other OL starters out for an extended period time while we have limited depth at key positions because of coaching turnover and a supremely incompetent head coaching here. If you could go back to the beginning of the season and tell people you'd be dealing with these and other off-field issues, most would probably be good with 7-5.
    It’s reminiscent of 2003. I’m hopeful we rebound next season with some better luck.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Our safety play has been our weakness the last two seasons.

I expect corners to get challenged a bit more next year though.
    Safeties were ok once we settled on Rutledge. They were also ok in 2018 when Freeman was healthy.

I don’t expect to shut people down all the time, as that’s not college football in 2019. However, I didn’t like the regression from 2018 on that side of the ball. We had to break in a new safety and were a bit short-handed at DE, but that doesn’t justify the Troy game or the first half of the Arkansas State game.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

The D-Line was getting great pressure the second half of the season, which would help neutralize a great passing game, but seeing Troy and Arky States' QBs just simply and successfully throwing the ball up for grabs after a quick drop back was awful. We may be able to beat App but those teams are going to not have much trouble with us if something isn't done.

10. Default Re: For the CCL skeptics...

Not to mention that our schedule this year swapped out Texas State for Louisiana. I know we have struggled with Texas State in the last, but we could have been 8-4 without that change.