TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Rules question

Default Re: Rules question

Quote Originally Posted by GSUAlumniEagle View Post
    Of course if a backwards pass is a pass it's a loose ball. We've all seen that.

I'm just saying in this one specific situation, when a team is trying to spike the ball to stop the clock, the officiating crew is not going to split hairs trying to determine whether the QB spiked the ball backwards by approximately half an inch.
    THANKS!

TALON
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

2. Default Re: Rules question

Quote Originally Posted by GSUAlumniEagle View Post
    In this situation, it's clear what's going on. The QB is spiking the ball to stop the clock. They're going to throw it straight into the ground to stop the clock. Whether the QB is facing forward or facing backwards is immaterial. The only thing that matters is the direction of the ball and in these situations no one is going to split hairs on whether the QB threw the ball backwards one inch or not. They're just going to blow it dead and call it incomplete. Some common sense gets applied. The offense is giving up a down in order to stop the clock. Let's not get carried away with micro managing whether the spike moves backwards by an insignificant margin.
    Perhaps y’all are just more comfortable with being imprecise.

But any margin is significant.

That’s exactly where the distinction between ‘forward’ and ‘backward’ lives.

I’m not sure how we are agreeing that “yes” it is a backwards pass, but “no” that doesn’t matter-because reasons.

(What Minn did was a stupid stunt. One day they will come across a team which will catch this and an officiating crew who will split a couple of hairs.)

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Perhaps y’all are just more comfortable with being imprecise.

But any margin is significant.

That’s exactly where the distinction between ‘forward’ and ‘backward’ lives.

I’m not sure how we are agreeing that “yes” it is a backwards pass, but “no” that doesn’t matter-because reasons.

(What Minn did was a stupid stunt. One day they will come across a team which will catch this and an officiating crew who will split a couple of hairs.)
    I'd love for you to come out one day and officiate. You'd be great at it.

Sure, every play would have a flag and the game would take approximately 19 hours. But you'd be terrific.
    "Officially" designated as the GSUFans Vigilante Moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    When the QB is trying to save time on the clock, he spikes the ball to save the clock. I get that. The question I have is if the quarterback accepts the ball, turns and faces backwards while spiking the ball backwards, wouldn’t this be considered a fumble since the ball travels backwards?
    I was rewatching the end of this year’s GA Southern/ Minnesota game, and 2 plays(4th quarter @20-25 sec left) before Minnesota scored the winning TD, the Minnesota QB did just what I described. What is the rule on that?
    IMO, Your description of that play is wrong. The ball travels straight down when he throws it at the ground, it doesn’t travel backwards. The only thing that matters here is the direction of the ball when it leaves the qb’s hand; if it travels anything other than backwards from the plane that it is thrown from that runs parallel to the LOS, then it’s an incomplete pass.

Hail southern
    A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
    Proverbs 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    1) what makes this stupid stunt that Minn pulled any different than when any other team spikes the ball?

B) when said team catches the gophers pulling the stupid stunt again..... how exactly are they gonna react? Describe this scene, because I can’t possibly imagine what they’d do because these are immediately whistled dead.

Also worth noting here.... again.... the ball in video isn’t thrown backwards. A hypothetical situation where the ball is thrown backwards has been discussed.

Hail southern
    A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
    Proverbs 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
    1) what makes this stupid stunt that Minn pulled any different than when any other team spikes the ball?

B) when said team catches the gophers pulling the stupid stunt again..... how exactly are they gonna react? Describe this scene, because I can’t possibly imagine what they’d do because these are immediately whistled dead.

Also worth noting here.... again.... the ball in video isn’t thrown backwards. A hypothetical situation where the ball is thrown backwards has been discussed.

Hail southern
    Not meaning to get anyone upset, but if the QB turns around and you have a back behind you IMO the ball is in play whether he throws it down or not.

This doesn't mean I'm right, its just an opinion.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Don’t ask the question if you don’t want to accept the answer.

The distinction on this play is basically the QB “giving himself up”. Similar in the NFL when a runner gives himself up, and a touch isn’t required to end the play.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
    IMO, Your description of that play is wrong. The ball travels straight down when he throws it at the ground, it doesn’t travel backwards. The only thing that matters here is the direction of the ball when it leaves the qb’s hand; if it travels anything other than backwards from the plane that it is thrown from that runs parallel to the LOS, then it’s an incomplete pass.

Hail southern
    It appears to go slightly backwards from where it was released, at least to me it does, and that should be a fumble. That's open to interpretation, I get it, but in the event one of our players had jumped on it, and replay showed it to be ever so slightly traveling backwards, it would be our ball, right? The ref blew the whistle, so the play was dead and over anyway, I get all that, but should the ref have blown the whistle there? Should our guys have been alert to it and tried to jump on it? Were we hosed by an inadvertent whistle?

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    Not meaning to get anyone upset, but if the QB turns around and you have a back behind you IMO the ball is in play whether he throws it down or not.

This doesn't mean I'm right, its just an opinion.
    And your opinion is wrong and you've been shown the rule book as fact you are wrong.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"