TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules question

Default Re: Rules question

On your first thought, I wasn't around in the 70s and 80s and even if I was I wouldn't be caught dead watching a Florida State Criminoles game.

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    Whats to say that a QB that turns around and looks like he is attempting to spike the ball isn't really bounce passing the running back if he stands their and the entire defense does the same thing?
    On this Minnesota play? Common sense.
    "Officially" designated as the GSUFans Vigilante Moderator.

Rule 7 sounds strange - When a backward pass or fumble comes to rest inbounds and no player attempts to secure it, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the passing or fumbling team at the dead-ball spot.

When the rushing linemen or a shooting line backer is comming in when the QB turns and spikes then why would the ref call it down when the defensive players would be going after the ball ?

** If a running back is behind the QB then why wouldn't the ref consider it a possible backward pitch?
    Facing backwards doesn’t make it a backwards pass the same way facing forwards doesn’t guarantee it’s a forward pass.

Hail southern
    A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
    Proverbs 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by GSUAlumniEagle View Post
    On your first thought, I wasn't around in the 70s and 80s and even if I was I wouldn't be caught dead watching a Florida State Criminoles game.

It then had to be in the 70s when I l lived in Florida in high school.. I had never heard of GSC.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

No. Again, that pass is going to be ruled forward and incomplete 100 times out of 100.
    My question isn't what the officials rule- it's what the actual rule is.

Pardon the momentary hijack but since we have GSUalumnieagle’s attention I have been wondering what the spirit of the rule is regarding loss of down on illegal forward pass when passer is beyond the LOS. The 5 yard penalty and loss of down seems excessive.

Common sense eludes me if the QB turns around, is said to spike the ball with a back or backs behind the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    My question isn't what the officials rule- it's what the actual rule is.
    And multiple people have given you the actual rule and it clearly states if in doubt the pass is forward and incomplete. And nothing in the rule states anything about which way the passer is facing.

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePA-C View Post
    Pardon the momentary hijack but since we have GSUalumnieagle’s attention I have been wondering what the spirit of the rule is regarding loss of down on illegal forward pass when passer is beyond the LOS. The 5 yard penalty and loss of down seems excessive.
    Not sure. Just one of those things that it's always been that way. I don't think five plus a loss of down is too punitive, though.

Then what if an option QB pitches it behind him, pass, the ball hits the ground and the pitch back does not attempt to recover but stands their. Couldn't that be considered a backward spike. I guess you have to between the guards for it to be a spike.

Then what if an option QB pitches it behind him, pass, the ball hits the ground and the pitch back does not attempt to recover but stands their. Couldn't that be considered a backward spike. I guess you have to between the guards for it to be a spike.
    Of course if a backwards pass is a pass it's a loose ball. We've all seen that.

I'm just saying in this one specific situation, when a team is trying to spike the ball to stop the clock, the officiating crew is not going to split hairs trying to determine whether the QB spiked the ball backwards by approximately half an inch.