TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 57

Thread: Rules question

  1. #11

    Default Re: Rules question

    Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    I am pretty sure this would be considered an incomplete pass. There is no rule specifically talking about spiking the ball backwards as opposed to straight down or forward, but here are a couple of rules that could apply here.

    The first defines a forward pass. Notice the last sentence. EDIT: of course this may be reviewed by instant replay... but that would stop the clock too (the intent of the spike)

    The second rule is for backward passes coming to rest and where no one attempts to secure it becoming a dead ball. Even if the spike was backwards, since no GS players tried to secure it, it became a deadball belonging to the offense. Yes I clearly have too much time on my hands today.


    Under Rule 2/Definitions
    Section 19. Passes



    Forward and Backward Pass



    ARTICLE 2. a. A pass is forward if the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything else beyond the spot where the ball is released.
    All other passes are backward passes. When in question a pass thrown in or behind the neutral zone is forward rather than a backward pass.(Exception: Games using Instant Replay)



    Under Rule 7/Snapping and Passing the Ball
    Section 2. Backward Pass and Fumble
    ARTICLE 5.
    When a backward pass or fumble comes to rest inbounds and no player attempts to secure it, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the passing or fumbling team at the dead-ball spot.

    http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-45...retations.aspx









    Based on that, if we dove on it, then it's our ball, right?

  2. #12

    Default Re: Rules question

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Based on that, if we dove on it, then it's our ball, right?
    No. Again, that pass is going to be ruled forward and incomplete 100 times out of 100.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LakeLand & Saint Simons Is.
    Posts
    4,048

    Default Re: Rules question

    Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    That would never be called a fumble in a million years. IMO he turned around as to not have it hit off an OL and then that would be a fumble. Or to stop this from happening:
    It looked like the ball hit the ground at the same time the defensive player put his hands on the ball.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LakeLand & Saint Simons Is.
    Posts
    4,048

    Default Re: Rules question

    Quote Originally Posted by GSUAlumniEagle View Post
    No. Again, that pass is going to be ruled forward and incomplete 100 times out of 100.
    The part I dont understand about the spike being a pass is that there is no receiver in the area.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LakeLand & Saint Simons Is.
    Posts
    4,048

    Default Re: Rules question

    Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    I am pretty sure this would be considered an incomplete pass. There is no rule specifically talking about spiking the ball backwards as opposed to straight down or forward, but here are a couple of rules that could apply here.

    The first defines a forward pass. Notice the last sentence. EDIT: of course this may be reviewed by instant replay... but that would stop the clock too (the intent of the spike)

    The second rule is for backward passes coming to rest and where no one attempts to secure it becoming a dead ball. Even if the spike was backwards, since no GS players tried to secure it, it became a deadball belonging to the offense. Yes I clearly have too much time on my hands today.


    Under Rule 2/Definitions
    Section 19. Passes



    Forward and Backward Pass



    ARTICLE 2. a. A pass is forward if the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything else beyond the spot where the ball is released.
    All other passes are backward passes. When in question a pass thrown in or behind the neutral zone is forward rather than a backward pass.(Exception: Games using Instant Replay)



    Under Rule 7/Snapping and Passing the Ball
    Section 2. Backward Pass and Fumble
    ARTICLE 5.
    When a backward pass or fumble comes to rest inbounds and no player attempts to secure it, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the passing or fumbling team at the dead-ball spot.

    http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-45...retations.aspx









    Rule 7 sounds strange - When a backward pass or fumble comes to rest inbounds and no player attempts to secure it, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the passing or fumbling team at the dead-ball spot.

    When the rushing linemen or a shooting line backer is comming in when the QB turns and spikes then why would the ref call it down when the defensive players would be going after the ball ?

    ** If a running back is behind the QB then why wouldn't the ref consider it a possible backward pitch?
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

  6. #16

    Default Re: Rules question

    Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    The part I dont understand about the spike being a pass is that there is no receiver in the area.
    Spiking the ball to stop the clock is an exception that is expressly permitted by rule.
    "Officially" designated as the GSUFans Vigilante Moderator.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LakeLand & Saint Simons Is.
    Posts
    4,048

    Default Re: Rules question

    Quote Originally Posted by GSUAlumniEagle View Post
    Spiking the ball to stop the clock is an exception that is expressly permitted by rule.
    HELP ME WITH MY POST ABOVE.

    Rule 7 sounds strange - When a backward pass or fumble comes to rest inbounds and no player attempts to secure it, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the passing or fumbling team at the dead-ball spot.

    When the rushing linemen or a shooting line backer is comming in when the QB turns and spikes then why would the ref call it down when the defensive players would be going after the ball ? *** If a running back is behind the QB & the QB turns to spike, then why wouldn't the ref consider it a possible backward pitch?
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

  8. #18

    Default Re: Rules question

    Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    HELP ME WITH MY POST ABOVE.

    Rule 7 sounds strange - When a backward pass or fumble comes to rest inbounds and no player attempts to secure it, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the passing or fumbling team at the dead-ball spot.

    When the rushing linemen or a shooting line backer is comming in when the QB turns and spikes then why would the ref call it down when the defensive players would be going after the ball ? *** If a running back is behind the QB & the QB turns to spike, then why wouldn't the ref consider it a possible backward pitch?
    In this situation, it's clear what's going on. The QB is spiking the ball to stop the clock. They're going to throw it straight into the ground to stop the clock. Whether the QB is facing forward or facing backwards is immaterial. The only thing that matters is the direction of the ball and in these situations no one is going to split hairs on whether the QB threw the ball backwards one inch or not. They're just going to blow it dead and call it incomplete. Some common sense gets applied. The offense is giving up a down in order to stop the clock. Let's not get carried away with micro managing whether the spike moves backwards by an insignificant margin.
    "Officially" designated as the GSUFans Vigilante Moderator.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LakeLand & Saint Simons Is.
    Posts
    4,048

    Default Re: Rules question

    Quote Originally Posted by GSUAlumniEagle View Post
    In this situation, it's clear what's going on. The QB is spiking the ball to stop the clock. They're going to throw it straight into the ground to stop the clock. Whether the QB is facing forward or facing backwards is immaterial. The only thing that matters is the direction of the ball and in these situations no one is going to split hairs on whether the QB threw the ball backwards one inch or not. They're just going to blow it dead and call it incomplete. Some common sense gets applied. The offense is giving up a down in order to stop the clock. Let's not get carried away with micro managing whether the spike moves backwards by an insignificant margin.
    Did you ever see the FSU game in the late 70s or early 80s when Bobby B. used a trick play where the QB threw the ball behind the set back wide receive?

    The football bounced The set back wide receiver caught it on the first bounce. The QB started walking backwards & shaking his head as if he had screwed up. No other receiver or back went into motion but also just stood their. The line stopped blocking. It appeared to be a dead play but the refs didn't stop the play. The receiver that caught the bounced pass stood their for about 2 seconds and took off running. The receiver either gained a huge amount of yardage or ran for a TD - I cant remember..


    Whats to say that a QB that turns around and looks like he is attempting to spike the ball isn't really bounce passing the running back if he stands their and the entire defense does the same thing?
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

  10. #20

    Default Re: Rules question

    Quote Originally Posted by GSUAlumniEagle View Post
    No. Again, that pass is going to be ruled forward and incomplete 100 times out of 100.
    At least say 99-100 lol. In high school, we lost a game by spiking the ball and it being called a fumble. Apples and oranges I know.....with quality of officiating, but there's always a chance and I've seen pretty bad calls in college football

Similar Threads

  1. Video review question on rules
    By GSUProfFan in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11th December 2017, 01:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •