TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules question

Default Rules question

When the QB is trying to save time on the clock, he spikes the ball to save the clock. I get that. The question I have is if the quarterback accepts the ball, turns and faces backwards while spiking the ball backwards, wouldn’t this be considered a fumble since the ball travels backwards?
    I was rewatching the end of this year’s GA Southern/ Minnesota game, and 2 plays(4th quarter @20-25 sec left) before Minnesota scored the winning TD, the Minnesota QB did just what I described. What is the rule on that?

Default Re: Rules question

If under center then it is not intentional grounding. If you take a step then it changes.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    When the QB is trying to save time on the clock, he spikes the ball to save the clock. I get that. The question I have is if the quarterback accepts the ball, turns and faces backwards while spiking the ball backwards, wouldn’t this be considered a fumble since the ball travels backwards?
    I was rewatching the end of this year’s GA Southern/ Minnesota game, and 2 plays(4th quarter @20-25 sec left) before Minnesota scored the winning TD, the Minnesota QB did just what I described. What is the rule on that?
    The position or facing of the QB doesn't matter. From a rules perspective, all that matters is the spot of release of the ball vs. the spot where the ball lands. From a practical purpose, the QB is always going to get the benefit of the doubt here. He's spiking the ball to start the clock. He gets the benefit of the doubt that the pass is forward. It's a pretty standard philosophy - if in doubt, the pass is forward and incomplete as opposed to being backwards and a loose ball.
    "Officially" designated as the GSUFans Vigilante Moderator.

Here's the play in question: https://youtu.be/nAeE1jwMRjo?t=3396

Yea, the QB is going to get the benefit of the doubt and that pass is going to be ruled forward every time. He's giving up an entire down to stop the clock. They're not going to split hairs about whether the spike is forward or not.
    "Officially" designated as the GSUFans Vigilante Moderator.

That would never be called a fumble in a million years. IMO he turned around as to not have it hit off an OL and then that would be a fumble. Or to stop this from happening:
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Since no one has cited a specific rule, what y'all are saying is that y'all don't know.

Since no one has cited a specific rule, what y'all are saying is that y'all don't know.
    LOL okay

Rule 2-19-2a bud.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUAlumniEagle View Post
    LOL okay

Rule 2-19-2a bud.
    Once the official goes to the book and looks up the rule, you can forget getting another call the rest of the evening.

Hail southern
    A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth it in till afterwards.
    Proverbs 29:11

I am pretty sure this would be considered an incomplete pass. There is no rule specifically talking about spiking the ball backwards as opposed to straight down or forward, but here are a couple of rules that could apply here.

The first defines a forward pass. Notice the last sentence. EDIT: of course this may be reviewed by instant replay... but that would stop the clock too (the intent of the spike)

The second rule is for backward passes coming to rest and where no one attempts to secure it becoming a dead ball. Even if the spike was backwards, since no GS players tried to secure it, it became a deadball belonging to the offense. Yes I clearly have too much time on my hands today.

Under Rule 2/Definitions
    Section 19. Passes

Forward and Backward Pass

ARTICLE 2. a. A pass is forward if the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything else beyond the spot where the ball is released.
    All other passes are backward passes. When in question a pass thrown in or behind the neutral zone is forward rather than a backward pass.(Exception: Games using Instant Replay)

Under Rule 7/Snapping and Passing the Ball
    Section 2. Backward Pass and Fumble
    ARTICLE 5.
    When a backward pass or fumble comes to rest inbounds and no player attempts to secure it, the ball becomes dead and belongs to the passing or fumbling team at the dead-ball spot.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-45...retations.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
    Once the official goes to the book and looks up the rule, you can forget getting another call the rest of the evening.

Hail southern
    LOL luckily I had my book sitting right next to me