TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Mercer

Default Re: Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    I’d venture to say that Raiford and Mercer would stack up well against SunBelt teams. I think Mercer played the game of their life and we beat them. They have to be wondering what hit them. Also, we out rebounded Mercer in the second half. I liked the coaching as well with the shift in D. That bothered them down low and the easy baskets they got early weren’t there anymore. They had 2 guys that could flat out shoot the ball. We will see but I think this team is better defensively and offensively if Carter can continue to produce. We shall see. Appreciate the comments from #1Hoopster. Seems we can have a different opinion on this thread with reasonable debate unlike the Football thread where it’s fire the coach if we lose and we’re going to the CFB playoffs if we win. Oh well...looking forward to next game in a Hanner.
    Mercer's in a complete transition year. New coach. New roster. They're just trying to figure things out.
    "Officially" designated as the GSUFans Vigilante Moderator.

They beat FGCU by 18, scored 79 on St Johns (gave up 109) and beat Kennesaw and UIC scoring in the 80’s. That was without the guard who shot lights out in the second half against us. Not saying they would win our conference but I think they will be competitive. Figuring things out for them now looks pretty good. But you are right, the season is early and they may not win another game or they may win the SoCon. Only time will tell. We will play FGCU next weekend so we can measure by that. To me on the surface that appears to be a good win beating them by 18.

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    I’d venture to say that Raiford and Mercer would stack up well against SunBelt teams.
    Mercer definitely would .... those raiford boys would probably play too rough and foul out .... too used to those prison rules.

On a side note, I was reading and saw where Ed king and Steve Gaines were born on the same date in the same year.... 9-14-1949.

Hail southern

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    I agree an uncontested 3 is an uncontested 3, but my point is you are going to get more uncontested 3's against Carver Bible than you are against Auburn.
    Auburn is going to have size, length and speed - Carver is not. That size, length and speed is going to make you rush that 3. Look at the stats for this season, we have shot over 36% on 3's every games expect 1, in that game we only hit 5 and shot 28%. Yep it was Auburn, I know it was the first game of the year, big crowd, etc. but you better believe their size, length, quickness had a lot to do with that. It's clear that we are shooting much better from the 3 point line so far and I hope it continues but competition plays a role in that. CB talks about defending the 3 point line all the time.
    There weren't many rushed 3s against Auburn if there were any.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    There weren't many rushed 3s against Auburn if there were any.
    It's been to long for me to remember if we did or didn't (getting old stinks), but my point is that defense and competition matters. I hope that our team has improved from a 30% (last year) to a 40% team (so far this year) 3 point shooting team. That would be great and set us up for a big year, but IMO that number will start going down as we get into the meat of our schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    It's been to long for me to remember if we did or didn't (getting old stinks), but my point is that defense and competition matters. I hope that our team has improved from a 30% (last year) to a 40% team (so far this year) 3 point shooting team. That would be great and set us up for a big year, but IMO that number will start going down as we get into the meat of our schedule.
    this is why Carter and Crowly have to show dominance because if we go cold from the outside we better be doing something great down low. Was so happy to see Carter hold the spot down low on Mercers 6'11" guy and physically stand toe to toe. More of that is neede by both bigs.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    this is why Carter and Crowly have to show dominance because if we go cold from the outside we better be doing something great down low. Was so happy to see Carter hold the spot down low on Mercers 6'11" guy and physically stand toe to toe. More of that is neede by both bigs.
    +1

Good night for the conference. App beat Charlotte, and Coastal throttled Utah.

I actually like this team. We are really athletic, but we need to take better shots. I wish we had a legit big man with some weight. I think this team would be better this year if Glenn returned over Tookie.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    I actually like this team. We are really athletic, but we need to take better shots. I wish we had a legit big man with some weight. I think this team would be better this year if Glenn returned over Tookie.
    good point in that Glenn would help with the rebounding. If #2 keeps progressing upward, it will be much easier to forget Tookie.