TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

1. Default Re: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I say let the kids transfer once for immediate eligibility and have to sit out a year any additional transfers after that. Just needs to be a cut off date, almost like a trade deadline.

Transfer once, and lose all scholarship funds on a second transfer as well.

Schools invest waaaaaay too much in these guys for a penalty-free transfer system to work. (this will be very bad for G5 schools. Some P5 loses a really good CB to injury and pretty soon one of our guys gets plucked away. There’s no question we have had a couple guys at various positions who are as good as any P5 player... It’s not an every-season thing for us. When we do develop an outstanding player-like Vildor, having him snatched away by Some P5 would really inhale vigorously.)

I can also see this being used as a weapon by elite P5s. Some of those guys see us on their schedule in a year or two, and ringy dingy. (Just poach one or two of our best players, and we are hosed.... Like Kennedy or Vildor, or Breida, or McKinnon. Just a couple here and there will be very detrimental to us long-term. Just imagine our history without all those guys.)

Hell. If Blankenship suffered a season-ending injury for UGA, y’all think they wouldn’t have called up Bass to see how true blue he really is? He not good enough to fill in?

This is an idiotic idea. It’s gonna really hurt G5s...... But that’s what it’s designed to do-because NCAA gonna NCAA

Default Re: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Transfer once, and lose all scholarship funds on a second transfer as well.

Schools invest waaaaaay too much in these guys for a penalty-free transfer system to work.
    I think a lot of schools get a pretty good return.

3. Default Re: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

Quote Originally Posted by studenteagle View Post
    I think a lot of schools get a pretty good return.

Sure.

Elite P5s are swimming in dollars.

They get an incredible return.

However, we don’t have alums and sponsors backing up dump trucks full of cash to our athletic dept yet.

Until that happens, we need to hang onto each and every star player.

Really wouldn’t take more than a tiny handful every decade to really wreck our program. We saw what a difference not having Werts and Kennedy for a few games made

Itís actually easier to make the argument that this is a good thing for G5ís vs a bad thing. Will there be more G5 players transferring to P5? Probably. But itís not going to turn into the farm system that some want to act like it is.

But the flip side is will there be more P5ís transferring to G5ís? Almost certainly. If a kid at a P5 wants to transfer and play right away what has his option always been? FCS right? Well not anymore. Now he could go to a G5 and play right away. And which option are most going to take?

FCS is who takes the huge hit in this not G5.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Itís actually easier to make the argument that this is a good thing for G5ís vs a bad thing. Will there be more G5 players transferring to P5? Probably. But itís not going to turn into the farm system that some want to act like it is.

But the flip side is will there be more P5ís transferring to G5ís? Almost certainly. If a kid at a P5 wants to transfer and play right away what has his option always been? FCS right? Well not anymore. Now he could go to a G5 and play right away. And which option are most going to take?

FCS is who takes the huge hit in this not G5.
    I think it could be a boon for quarterback recruiting for everyone not in the highest rung of college football. Generally only one of those guys gets significant snaps. Beyond that, I'm not convinced it's a net positive for G5s. I'm just not sure picking up players P5s aren't using are going to be just as good as the players we lose because P5s want.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

6. Default Re: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

There are good arguments to both sides, but it worries me a lot.

We have very little depth in certain positions.

Something like a Blankenship scenario would be very bad for us. If that guy had a season ending injury early in 2019, UGA would have an immediate need for a good kicker. And they likely would have noticed Bass’s 95% completion percentage in 2018.

I think Bass would have gotten that call. As much as we all love Bass, and as true blue as he may be..... The opportunity to play on a national stage (definitely in a huge bowl game and possibly for a NC.)

Do y’all think he would have turned that down?

And with no backup.... Oh boy.

Sure. We would snag a few good players from P5s, but I think the danger of getting some once-a-decade players who are super important to us poached by an elite team outweighs the benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I think it could be a boon for quarterback recruiting for everyone not in the highest rung of college football. Generally only one of those guys gets significant snaps. Beyond that, I'm not convinced it's a net positive for G5s. I'm just not sure picking up players P5s aren't using are going to be just as good as the players we lose because P5s want.

And I understand the theory that picking up 3 solid P5 players doesn’t equal losing 1 great G5 player. I’m just not convinced there is going to be all these G5 players making the jump to P5. I know it would become easier now but the avenue has still been there for close to 15 years with the grad transfer rule and how many top tier transfer eligible G5’s have jumped to a P5?
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Something like a Blankenship scenario would be very bad for us. If that guy had a season ending injury early in 2019, UGA would have an immediate need for a good kicker. And they likely would have noticed Bass’s 95% completion percentage in 2018.

I think Bass would have gotten that call. As much as we all love Bass, and as true blue as he may be..... The opportunity to play on a national stage (definitely in a huge bowl game and possibly for a NC.)

Sure. We would snag a few good players from P5s, but I think the danger of getting some once-a-decade players who are super important to us poached by an elite team outweighs the benefit.

Tyler Bass was arguably (or maybe not even an argument) one of the top 5 kickers in America this year. He wouldn’t have needed another top 5 kicker to get hurt to have schools wanting his services. But you know what else Tyler Bass was this year? A graduate of Georgia Southern. So he could have transferred to any school in the country and played this year.

Hell even under your scenario he already could have transferred to UGA and played this year (assuming you aren’t talking about a mid year injury). Which this once again proves my point...it’s not already happening when the Avenue is there so why is it going to all of a sudden start happening?

They are never going to let it happen where it is immediately transfer and play next week mid season. In that scenario, it would be more likely that Blankenship graduated, they had no one of note to replace him with and then had their people talk to Bass' people..wink, wink, nod, nod.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

10. Default Re: Andrew Cunningham and Jared Daniels enter transfer portal 11/3/19

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    They are never going to let it happen where it is immediately transfer and play next week mid season. In that scenario, it would be more likely that Blankenship graduated, they had no one of note to replace him with and then had their people talk to Bass' people..wink, wink, nod, nod.
    Whatever the scenario, there are few players who would pass that kind of opportunity.....

Play in the sugar bowl vs some bowl no one has ever heard of?

Come on. Bass is an awesome guy, and he might would actually turn such an offer down..... But I can’t say the majority of folks in his shoes would.

I still think the potential for much damage to G5s far outweighs any benefit.