TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA has announced players may paid for sponsorship and endorsements

Default NCAA has announced players may paid for sponsorship and endorsements

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/29/ncaa...es-images.html

This includes images and player likeness.

Default Re: NCAA has announced players may paid for sponsorship and endorsements

Spineless reaction IMO.

Farewell, amateur football. We’ll see how it plays out, and I know I’m in the minority, but this has the potential to largely ruin it for me.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Default Re: NCAA has announced players may paid for sponsorship and endorsements

This could be a big mistake, i.e. potential for corruption.
    SlickEagle now, formally known as EagleDawg

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Spineless reaction IMO.

Farewell, amateur football. We’ll see how it plays out, and I know I’m in the minority, but this has the potential to largely ruin it for me.
    I'm going to wait to see what kind of restrictions are placed on this before I judge. Without any restrictions, you might as well make gifts illegal. On the other hand, the restrictions themselves might be challenged in court.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Spineless reaction IMO.

It wasn't spineless, it was necessary.

This has been a growing debate in college football. NCAA has had plenty of time to organize SOMETHING to address the issue but they refused so state legislation started to take care of it by codifying it. The NCAA has no legal standing to argue against state laws, and if they attempt to "punish" a member institution for following laws in their state, they will be embroiled in a court battle really fast.

This is just the NCAA trying to head that off. The problem is they waited until they were forced to react to it instead of being proactive.

Spineless reaction IMO.

The way I see it, if a booster wanted a player enough, they were going to pay them regardless.

Keep in mind, a player still is not legally allowed to be paid specifically for playing. Only receive payment for use of their likeness or image, along with being able to be endorsed.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post

This has been a growing debate in college football. NCAA has had plenty of time to organize SOMETHING to address the issue but they refused so state legislation started to take care of it by codifying it. The NCAA has no legal standing to argue against state laws, and if they attempt to "punish" a member institution for following laws in their state, they will be embroiled in a court battle really fast.

This is just the NCAA trying to head that off. The problem is they waited until they were forced to react to it instead of being proactive.
    It's one thing for courts to force the NCAA to make rule changes, it's another thing for state legislatures to do that. So what happens if a state government decrees that they can offer as many football scholarships as they want? Why should there be different NCAA rules in different states?
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickEagle View Post
    This could be a big mistake, i.e. potential for corruption.
    That's where I'm at. No one will be able to police it and there will be a "fight" for 5 star recruits that makes their endorsement money sky rocket over the next couple years. There is no real market value for what it "should" cost, so the first numbers are going to soar exponentially.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Why does a state's legislation have any jurisdiction on how a private entity rules it's members? What if the state decided whatever field you are in that it's illegal to pay anyone in your field less than a million dollars a year?
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

I know it’s been a debate. I don’t know why it had to be a forgone conclusion that they had to be paid. It’s a fundamental pillar of the organization that the athletes are supposed to be amateurs.

The states bluffed and the NCAA refused to call them on it. The NCAA is a private membership organization and can make their own rules on this. If the NCAA said “If your state mandates that players can be paid, then you can’t be a member institution” then the schools would either have to form their own alternative organization to compete under, or they’d be lobbying their legislatures to repeal the laws.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    The way I see it, if a booster wanted a player enough, they were going to pay them regardless.

Keep in mind, a player still is not legally allowed to be paid specifically for playing. Only receive payment for use of their likeness or image, along with being able to be endorsed.
    There are gonna be players making many multiples of any amount a player has ever been paid under the table.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    It's one thing for courts to force the NCAA to make rule changes, it's another thing for state legislatures to do that. So what happens if a state government decrees that they can offer as many football scholarships as they want? Why should there be different NCAA rules in different states?
    Exactly.

The real issue is going going to be in How this is administered. Is there a cap? Who determines what you’re getting paid for and if it’s allowable? The NCAA doesn’t have a good track record for judicious rulings.

The NFL should just lift the ban on underclassmen-problem solved. You play as an amateur or you go pro.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose