TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Strange Season

1. Default Strange Season

I've been a fan since 1986. Followed, watched, or attended just about every game since then. This is the strangest season I can remember. I'm not making the case that we don't have some serious issues with this years team, that most likely will not/can not be fixed this season. With that said, the 3 losses we have are:

1) current #2 team in nation (undefeated). Not competitive at all, but watching LSU this season and us this season, that is now more understandable.
    2) current #17 team in the nation (undefeated). A GAME WHICH WE SHOULD HAVE WON.....with our back up QB, no WKIII, and banged up oline.
    3) a good ULL team which has only loss to the current #21 team in nation (APP). But surprisingly we had no run defense.

In addition, the Coastal Carolina team we just beat won against Kansas earlier this season in a game which they held Kansas to 7 points. This past weekend Kansas lost to #15 Texas on a last second FG and scored 48 points on Texas (They could only score 7 vs. Coastal). By the way, Coastal scored 62 vs. Umass and scored 37 vs. APP.

I honestly don't know what to expect each week this season from our team, except struggles on offense (still hoping this changes somehow).

2. Default Re: Strange Season

Exactly but that’s the point what is the issue? After this game, Lunsford was defensive in the presser which is usually a bad sign. So what the heck is wrong because without a doubt there is something off with the offense. D problems are all safety related which is disappointing as we should have known. Please don’t tell me injuries cause everyone has those.

Default Re: Strange Season

Quote Originally Posted by Richrappa View Post
    Exactly but that’s the point what is the issue? After this game, Lunsford was defensive in the presser which is usually a bad sign. So what the heck is wrong because without a doubt there is something off with the offense. D problems are all safety related which is disappointing as we should have known. Please don’t tell me injuries cause everyone has those.
    Our offense last year was average at best. So having to replace 4/5 starting OL from an average offense, you should expect to see something worse. Though I didn't think we'd look this bad.

4. Default Re: Strange Season

I like this team. They definitely have some issues but there is no quit in them. IMO the recruiting, philosophy, and turmoil of the previous years has caught up to them. Lunsford will only get better for weathering this storm. I don’t know if they will make a bowl this year or not but I have to believe they will get better and there is still a lot of football to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Our offense last year was average at best. So having to replace 4/5 starting OL from an average offense, you should expect to see something worse. Though I didn't think we'd look this bad.
    +1

Timing of the replacements probably factors in as well, still not a lot of continuity as a unit due to the reshuffling of positions. I wonder too if a lack of senior leadership from when we were truly good is a factor, we seem to be kind of flat on the sidelines and lacking the spunk we had under Monken and Fritz. Ghosts of 16/17 might still be their minds.

I think at this point we have one guaranteed W and L. Every other game is a toss up.
    Go Eagles!!

There were good signs against CCU but my concern lies in the offensive plays we see that have ABSOLUTELY no creativity and deception which you need in our style. The guys definitely overcame the play calling at times with their athleticism and the o line got some push so I remain encouraged they are improving. Will CBD get in his own way is my concern. Can anyone explain to me the lack of motion and why we stop behind the QB, or not have all 2-3 plays ready to play a little uptempo? Or am I crazy?

I'm in on Lunsford being the guy for the long haul. Going from 2-10 to 10-3 was an extraordinary jump, so I expected to have some regression this season due to both the schedule and basic statistics. I think the thing to remember is that he has been a part of winning programs throughout his career, he knows what it takes to be successful, and I think he is going to do what he can to get this program to what is an acceptable level by GS standards. I think if he sticks around for 2-3 years we will all look back at this year and realize that the foundation was laid for something great down the road. I'm sure he sees the personnel issues and will address them with recruiting, and sees the coaching issues and will hopefully look at himself and his staff and do what they can to not make the same mistakes again.

At the end of the day, I dont foresee this team being much more than what they are now - a pretty solid defense that will have an occasional lapse, a conservative offense that lacks big play potential, and a solid kicker. We will scratch and claw for 6 wins, and if we get them those extra practices will be critical to get a jump start on next season.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    I'm in on Lunsford being the guy for the long haul. Going from 2-10 to 10-3 was an extraordinary jump, so I expected to have some regression this season due to both the schedule and basic statistics. I think the thing to remember is that he has been a part of winning programs throughout his career, he knows what it takes to be successful, and I think he is going to do what he can to get this program to what is an acceptable level by GS standards. I think if he sticks around for 2-3 years we will all look back at this year and realize that the foundation was laid for something great down the road. I'm sure he sees the personnel issues and will address them with recruiting, and sees the coaching issues and will hopefully look at himself and his staff and do what they can to not make the same mistakes again.

At the end of the day, I dont foresee this team being much more than what they are now - a pretty solid defense that will have an occasional lapse, a conservative offense that lacks big play potential, and a solid kicker. We will scratch and claw for 6 wins, and if we get them those extra practices will be critical to get a jump start on next season.
    +1000

10. Default Re: Strange Season

It all started with the bird poo..