TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 76

Thread: The Pitch.....

  1. #31

    Default Re: The Pitch.....

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Thats how it’s supposed to work.

    But damn. We sure appear to be missing a lot of blocking.

    I see linemen and tackles make their initial blocks, but then sort of give up.

    Is that where the secondary blocks are getting screwed up?

    I often see two or three more LBs or even safeties chasing this kind of play down now.
    Yes I think the blocking is killing us. I don't know if our guys aren't athletic enough to get to their targets, or if they're confuse about who their target is, or if they're just incapable of sustaining a block, but 85% of our issues on offense is the inability to block. Klak has even showed plays that were perfectly blocked except for one person, and that person shut the play down. Having multiple combinations of OL has probably hurt the chances of everyone knowing who is supposed to block what, but we still need to be better than we have been.

    Also, our backs (qb included) have to be able to see where the hole is opening and run through it. I see so many people cutting into traffic or into tackles when a lane is there for the taking.

  2. #32

    Default Re: The Pitch.....

    The play calling is hurting us more than the blocking. We are as predictable as any team in the country by way of formations and personnel.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

  3. Default Re: The Pitch.....

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Yes I think the blocking is killing us. I don't know if our guys aren't athletic enough to get to their targets, or if they're confuse about who their target is, or if they're just incapable of sustaining a block, but 85% of our issues on offense is the inability to block. Klak has even showed plays that were perfectly blocked except for one person, and that person shut the play down. Having multiple combinations of OL has probably hurt the chances of everyone knowing who is supposed to block what, but we still need to be better than we have been.

    Also, our backs (qb included) have to be able to see where the hole is opening and run through it. I see so many people cutting into traffic or into tackles when a lane is there for the taking.
    As many off weeks as we have had, I can’t imagine anyone not knowing what they are supposed to do.

    I mean, our playbook is still super thin. Even with the changes on the OL, how in the world is anyone not understanding where to block or where the holes will be?

    Honestly, this seems like a motivation issue. We have some guys on that side of the hall who really seem to be playing with little heart.

    We have to get 100% of our players in on every play. A missed block (or half-assed block) here and there costs us dearly.

    (I know I can’t dissect plays and all, but I’m still seeing too much of what I’ve seen all season. We have some real outstanding players and plays, but we have some kind of strange overall non-cohesiveness or something. Y’all know my theory. I don’t care whether it’s correct, or it’s something unrelated, but dang. We just don’t seem to have an overall team thing happening. Especially on offense.)

  4. Default Re: The Pitch.....

    I'm just gonna put this out there... The QB has no say in audibles... Switching sides of the field or etc... It is a prederterminned play... It is what it is... Now I don't know if that's on the coaches or werts ... But def makes you miss Ellison... Dude had a feel for the game

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    27,007

    Default Re: The Pitch.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemyschool View Post
    I'm just gonna put this out there... The QB has no say in audibles... Switching sides of the field or etc... It is a prederterminned play... It is what it is... Now I don't know if that's on the coaches or werts ... But def makes you miss Ellison... Dude had a feel for the game
    Ya'll are putting a lot on Ellison that didn't necessarily happen. He was definitely a natural, but I'm also not sure how many audibles he was making. A lot of playcall changes came in from the sideline under Fritz.


  6. Default Re: The Pitch.....

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Ya'll are putting a lot on Ellison that didn't necessarily happen. He was definitely a natural, but I'm also not sure how many audibles he was making. A lot of playcall changes came in from the sideline under Fritz.
    I’m not sure either.

    Some of it was good playcalls, some of it was just Ellison being Ellison.

    That’s part of what made him so great. He probably knew the option better than some of the coaches.

    Its a shame he didn’t go into coaching. He sure has a head for this stuff.

    Toward the end of the TS disaster it’s obvious Ellison was running stuff all by himself. And saw success

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    LakeLand & Saint Simons Is.
    Posts
    3,766

    Default Re: The Pitch.....

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Yes I think the blocking is killing us. I don't know if our guys aren't athletic enough to get to their targets, or if they're confuse about who their target is, or if they're just incapable of sustaining a block,

    Also, our backs (qb included) have to be able to see where the hole is opening and run through it. I see so many people cutting into traffic or into tackles when a lane is there for the taking.


    Its hard for me to understand how the offensive line doesn't know who to block. You do have to wonder if the offensive line has the ability to stand up , go head to chest & drive his opponent in the direction he wants. I know Fritz was able to do it.

    As far as the Offensive QB & Backs, find the hole or the area that is not as well defended.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

  8. #38

    Default Re: The Pitch.....

    Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    Its hard for me to understand how the offensive line doesn't know who to block. You do have to wonder if the offensive line has the ability to stand up , go head to chest & drive his opponent in the direction he wants. I know Fritz was able to do it.

    As far as the Offensive QB & Backs, find the hole or the area that is not as well defended.

    Think of it like this - you go into camp and for 3 weeks you are playing weakside tackle. Your key to block is a backside linebacker. Suddenly someone is hurt, the line is shuffled, and now you're playside guard. Your key to block depends on the front - if you're covered, do you combo block and move to second level? Are you supposed to pull? Are you blocking first or second defender you see? There is alot that goes into blocking schemes other than just blocking someone. Well developed concepts will use leverage and angles so that the OL has an advantage in blocking, and that can make things more confusing if you never paid attention to what they guys on the other side are supposed to be doing.

  9. Default Re: The Pitch.....

    Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Think of it like this - you go into camp and for 3 weeks you are playing weakside tackle. Your key to block is a backside linebacker. Suddenly someone is hurt, the line is shuffled, and now you're playside guard. Your key to block depends on the front - if you're covered, do you combo block and move to second level? Are you supposed to pull? Are you blocking first or second defender you see? There is alot that goes into blocking schemes other than just blocking someone. Well developed concepts will use leverage and angles so that the OL has an advantage in blocking, and that can make things more confusing if you never paid attention to what they guys on the other side are supposed to be doing.
    I get that, but this deep in the season (with all our bge weeks) it's sure tough to see where the confusion would still be.

  10. #40

    Default Re: The Pitch.....

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I get that, but this deep in the season (with all our bge weeks) it's sure tough to see where the confusion would still be.
    That's what I meant regarding not having the same 5 guys out there in all the previous games. I think if we can get 2-3 weeks with the same guys it will improve. I dont know how much, but logic would dictate that it would get incrementally better.


    The other side of this issue is the individual coaching technique. Debesse doesnt have the same OL coach he had at UNM, so are the blocking techniques being taught the same? Are the drills in practice to reinforce the technique the same, or does the OL coach have free reign to run his unit as he feels best?

Similar Threads

  1. Season Opening First Pitch Moved Up
    By sportsperson1983 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th February 2015, 05:37 PM
  2. The Pitch
    By EagleTrump in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 8th October 2012, 07:36 AM
  3. Izzy gonna pitch it?
    By gsu2583 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 24th September 2012, 03:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •