TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pitch.....

1. Default The Pitch.....

Could some of y'all who are expert in this offense help me understand something which is probably pretty basic?

(Not being sarcastic.)

What happened to our pitch play?

I saw numerous times (well, every time that I had a good view) that there were at least 3 defenders coming around as werts turned the corner on the pitch play. Often two defenders were covering Werts, and one was covering the pitch man. All within easy tackling distance.

That play worked really well for us last season. It has generally always worked pretty well for us. I have always loved the pitch. When done right, it has led to some sweet gains, and now, it's fortunate if we get 3 out of it.

What has changed? This seems to be a bigger problem than just the O line.

I understand that Werts is looking at the key to decide whether to keep or pitch. But damned if he doesn't turn that corner to be staring at 2 or 3 "keys." Sometimes, he can out-athlete one of them, but then he usually gets pounced on if he keeps.... The pitch man himself is rarely an option.

What's getting screwed up now? How come so many of these guys are making it around the corner unblocked.

(Once again, I'm not being sarcastic. I'm confused. What is the malfunction on this play?)

Default Re: The Pitch.....

That’s a good observation and I’ve noticed this as well. My opinion is that our ability to neutralize opponent safeties has been ineffective so far. The IZ play doesn’t need safety’s support because we can’t get it to the 2 or 3rd level. That along with no passing game over the middle has created a easy release for the defensive back field to flow to the ball. Just me talking as I am not a coach and didn’t stay at a holiday inn express last night.

3. Default Re: The Pitch.....

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    That’s a good observation and I’ve noticed this as well. My opinion is that our ability to neutralize opponent safeties has been ineffective so far. The IZ play doesn’t need safety’s support because we can’t get it to the 2 or 3rd level. That along with no passing game over the middle has created a easy release for the defensive back field to flow to the ball. Just me talking as I am not a coach and didn’t stay at a holiday inn express last night.

That would make sense.

But I don't remember this being so bad in the past. Someone was blocking those safeties.

Back in the Monken days, we literally never tried to throw. And somehow all those guys weren't getting around to mess with the QB/pitch man relationship nearly so much.

I've been seeing Werts/his pitch man (and Tomlin when he was in) covered up nearly every play.

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    /Thread

5. Default Re: The Pitch.....

This is how it's supposed to work: (35:00)

6. Default Re: The Pitch.....

But I sure have been seeing a LOT of this: (36:15)

(In the second example, is blocking being missed, or are we just running the wrong play? The way the defense was lined up, he ran right into the strong side.)

Was this a blocking problem, a read issue, or a play call problem? (I don't see how it could be a read. You can't read half the team.)

Just look how the defense lined up. Why couldn't we have run that the other way?

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post

(In the second example, is blocking being missed, or are we just running the wrong play? The way the defense was lined up, he ran right into the strong side.)

Was this a blocking problem, a read issue, or a play call problem? (I don't see how it could be a read. You can't read half the team.)

Just look how the defense lined up. Why couldn't we have run that the other way?
    Looks to me like JD King missed his block on that one. If he blocks him that one could go 5-6 yards.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

The end man on LOS was left unblocked and he never committed so Werts didn't need to pitch off of him. Blocking at the second level still inhales vigorously. Defense lined up to match our strength.

This is how it's supposed to work: (35:00)

This was seemingly the only coherent drive we had all game. We didn’t have any penalties that derailed the drive (which is apparently a huge problem for this offense). I’m not sure why we no longer have designed plays that will get us medium range yardage. It’s frustrating that one penalty more often than not means that we are not scoring during that drive.

10. Default Re: The Pitch.....

Our secondary blocking is terrible.

I remember this play when Ellison ran it, the non-pitch RB would get in and throw a block, Ellison himself would often block up deep somewhere if he pitched.

I think guys are just not being told that these things are possible. Doesn’t look like anyone is even thinking about getting blocking up into the secondary.