TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Post game show on Georgia Southern Radio Network embarrassment to our brand

1. Default Re: Post game show on Georgia Southern Radio Network embarrassment to our brand

How about this. A small number of Georgia Southern "fans" are embarrassment to the brand. Like clockwork, the negative comments about everything comes out each and every weekend.

Love the passion....hate the constant negative from the uninformed.

I mean good grief....it is never ending. News flash. It's not the world against Georgia Southern, heck, if anything it's the Eagles against some of our own "supporters".

I usually stay off the boards, but I figured, what the heck, I was soaking wet...cold....and frankly a little excited to cover such an interesting and exciting college football game on Saturday.

Guess I learned my lesson....when it comes to reading the boards, I've got to FIDO.

Default Re: Post game show on Georgia Southern Radio Network embarrassment to our brand

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
    How about this. A small number of Georgia Southern "fans" are embarrassment to the brand. Like clockwork, the negative comments about everything comes out each and every weekend.

I mean good grief....it is never ending. News flash. It's not the world against Georgia Southern, heck, if anything it's the Eagles against some of our own "supporters".

I usually stay off the boards, but I figured, what the heck, I was soaking wet...cold....and frankly a little excited to cover such an interesting and exciting college football game on Saturday.

Guess I learned my lesson....when it comes to reading the boards, I've got to FIDO.
    Sing it Big Frank!!!!!!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

3. Default Re: Post game show on Georgia Southern Radio Network embarrassment to our brand

It’s not personal. You’re a great friend of our University, but the broadcast needs to improve. That’s not unreasonable. I sincerely hope you accept it as intended.

Default Re: Post game show on Georgia Southern Radio Network embarrassment to our brand

Frank, I really appreciate the great coverage you give Georgia Southern. But I challenge anybody on this board and Athletics administration regarding our post game radio show. It does not measure up to GS standards. If anyone listened to it yesterday, I would welcome your honest opinion. I wish I had a link so you folks could see what I’m talking about. I’ll stand by what I said 100% - yesterday’s show on I-95 was an embarrassament to our brand.

Plus Won.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Plus Won.
    Did you hear the postgame show?

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    Did you hear the postgame show?
    I did not listen to last night's show. But I have listened to plenty of them in all 3 of the big 3 sports and haven't had what you describe.

I have complained about radio coverage before as well, BTW. You will probably get a less negative response if you weren't calling for heads of members of the radio crew and calling it an embarrassment.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

8. Default Re: Post game show on Georgia Southern Radio Network embarrassment to our brand

It all boils down to this simple statement. Don't listen if you don't like.

Having worked in the media my entire adult life, I've come to understand that not everybody is going to like what you do. Used to keep me up at nights...now, not so much. You do what you can do with the resources you are given. I see negative posts on everything from newspaper writers, post game radio shows, highlights and the game broadcasts.

The simple solution is you don't like it...that's fine, just find what makes you happy.

I can tell you that every single person I come across covering or reporting on Georgia Southern is logging ungodly hours trying to deliver content to the fanbase and anyone interested in listening, reading or watching.

The reason it takes so long to get players and coaches on post-game coverage has nothing to do with the media. As it should be, players and coaches are allowed time to celebrate or regroup from a game they just played. Media waits for sometimes 15 minutes or 45 minutes. Again....I have no problem with it at all. Hell, talking to reporters would be the last thing I would rush to do after playing a triple overtime game in a monsoon.

For the radio broadcast last night, equipment crapped out from being in the above mentioned monsoon....hey, live radio anything can happen.

Listen....I've been blast for being a homer. Other local media members have been bashed for being critical. I say be whoever you want and cover however you want. Regardless of what or how media members cover things, someone will not like it while others will love it. Need proof that there are countless options out there. How many channels you get on your television set? How many radio stations can you pick up in your car? How many websites can you pull up?

Hurting a brand argument falls right along these same lines.

Hell, Georgia Southern's "brand" has always been tough, blue collar and the Runts Work Harder" also "Winning". So I ask, why so many concerns and arguments when a team wins?

Climbing off the soapbox....time to do some work I'm sure someone will hate while others will appreciate.

Frank

It all boils down to this simple statement. Don't listen if you don't like.

Having worked in the media my entire adult life, I've come to understand that not everybody is going to like what you do. Used to keep me up at nights...now, not so much. You do what you can do with the resources you are given. I see negative posts on everything from newspaper writers, post game radio shows, highlights and the game broadcasts.

The simple solution is you don't like it...that's fine, just find what makes you happy.

I can tell you that every single person I come across covering or reporting on Georgia Southern is logging ungodly hours trying to deliver content to the fanbase and anyone interested in listening, reading or watching.

The reason it takes so long to get players and coaches on post-game coverage has nothing to do with the media. As it should be, players and coaches are allowed time to celebrate or regroup from a game they just played. Media waits for sometimes 15 minutes or 45 minutes. Again....I have no problem with it at all. Hell, talking to reporters would be the last thing I would rush to do after playing a triple overtime game in a monsoon.

For the radio broadcast last night, equipment crapped out from being in the above mentioned monsoon....hey, live radio anything can happen.

Listen....I've been blast for being a homer. Other local media members have been bashed for being critical. I say be whoever you want and cover however you want. Regardless of what or how media members cover things, someone will not like it while others will love it. Need proof that there are countless options out there. How many channels you get on your television set? How many radio stations can you pick up in your car? How many websites can you pull up?

Hurting a brand argument falls right along these same lines.

Hell, Georgia Southern's "brand" has always been tough, blue collar and the Runts Work Harder" also "Winning". So I ask, why so many concerns and arguments when a team wins?

Climbing off the soapbox....time to do some work I'm sure someone will hate while others will appreciate.

Frank
    First, let me say you do a great job and I appreciate your love and support for Georgia Southern. You have been, indeed, the voice of the Eagles in SAV and beyond for the last 20 years. But also know that I love GS just as much as you do. The radio postgame show has been going downhill for several years now and it absolutely hit rock bottom last night. Probably an hour of non stop commercials in the 90-minutes after the game. If you’re having technical problems, for God’s sake let your listeners know.

It was an exciting game. I wanted to hear post game stats, discussion and anaylysis. I was looking forward to several player interviews with some insightful questions about the game. A solid 10-minute interview with the coach with some good questions. That’s what it should be. It was a total failure and it just didn’t become this last night with the weather. Coach Lunsford’s interview finally came on almost an hour and a half after the “show” started on I-95 in Sav and they immediately started playing music over it. You couldn’t hear it.

On the two-hour drive home after a game last season, I had a GA and Citadel fan in the car with me. This was exciting - Ark State win as I recall. We’re pushing down I-16listening and the postgame was downright embarrassing. They interviewed a coach - won’t mention name - but it was a joke. Citadel guy said “those guys sound like the fellows who used to do our high school games.” I switched stations.

In past several years, there were times when you couldn’t even find the post game show on the radio. It’s been cutoff while folks were talking and going straight to interviews.

If we have a postgame show, it should be done right. No excuses. What we are broadcasting right now is an embarrassment to our brand. If anyone can post a link to last nights show, you will see firsthand. Whoever is in charge of the production should be held accountable - just like coaches.

10. Default Re: Post game show on Georgia Southern Radio Network embarrassment to our brand

IDK.

The show struck me as a bit too relaxed. Somewhat amateurish.... But no big deal.

I think maybe it's more a matter of those guys having worked all afternoon, and they are just getting tired. Maybe losing focus and getting a little slap happy.

Maybe the questions were a little weak and there were definitely a lot of commercials and so forth.

But threads like this are how that stuff gets fixed. I bet the next postgame show will be a lot better.