TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagle Insider: From the Desk of Tom Kleinlein (Alcohol / Kickoff times / Attendance)

1. Default Eagle Insider: From the Desk of Tom Kleinlein (Alcohol / Kickoff times / Attendance)

I wanted to do something a little different this time and address a couple of questions I get on a pretty regular basis, be it through Twitter, in person, or social media forums. The three most common questions we get, in order, are:

1. Why donít we sell alcohol in Paulson Stadium?
    2. Why arenít kickoff times announced earlier?
    3. How can some teams announce the attendance numbers that they do?

Letís start with the most popular topic: Alcohol In Paulson. Alcohol sections have existed in the premium areas of the stadium for the past three years. Those sections include the Bishop Club, the Stadium Club and the Club Level seating on the visiting side. These require a donation and ticket purchase to get complimentary beverages through the end of the third quarter.

In most cases across the country, schools have gone from no alcohol sales to selling throughout the stadium, which is different from our situation. Selling alcohol in a stadium that already has alcohol available in premium areas is a different process. This scenario requires time and research to determine the best way to continue to provide a great fan experience while continuing to earn revenue needed to support our student-athletes and coaches.

We are currently looking into a plan that may include alcohol sales throughout the stadium, but that plan must meet the Board of Regents and University approval, and make financial sense.

On to No. 2: Kickoff Times. We determine game times for home football games using data collected throughout the years. This data includes weather, regional games, University activities, community events and fan travel times. After our television partners pass on broadcasting a game on a linear (television) network, we are alerted by conference officials that we can choose the game time. Once informed, we use this data to come up with a time that gives us the best chance to #PackPaulson.

We begin looking at different scenarios weeks in advance, but we are not alerted until 12 days out if our game has been selected for television. These times are then determined internally and announced that Monday the week before the game by the conference.

We have heard from fans that announcing game times this late is a challenge, but we believe it is better to announce a firm and final game time rather than switching the time due to television selections 12 days out.

Finally, I wanted to talk about attendance figures. Itís no secret that some schools publicly announce attendance figures that are not anywhere close to the number of patrons in the seats. In a recent article published nationally, it showed that we were at 92 percent of actual attendance as compared to announced attendance, which was in the top 10 of the FBS.

At full capacity, including our hill seating, Paulson Stadium holds 25,000 patrons. We, as an athletic department, announce an attendance figure that includes all season- and single-game tickets sold, as well as any Georgia Southern student that walks through the gate and gets their Eagle ID scanned. Some schools may count bulk tickets purchased by corporate entities (at the lowest price available) and use them in their formulas whether those tickets are used or not. We prefer to sell our tickets to our fans and also give them to students who will attend the games.

Default Re: Eagle Insider: From the Desk of Tom Kleinlein (Alcohol / Kickoff times / Attendan

TK reads the board apparently lol.

Default Re: Eagle Insider: From the Desk of Tom Kleinlein (Alcohol / Kickoff times / Attendan

1. Basically, it sounds like it's ultimately a business decision. I think if we decided stadium-wide alcohol sales would be worth paying the insurance and following whatever other regs there are, we'd do it.

2. I'm going to disagree with TK here. How many games have been picked up by ESPN within 12 days of kickoff? I believe Troy in 2016 was the only game picked up the week of the game and that was because it was on the CCG week. IMO announce game times after the weekday games are chosen and just let everyone know they are tentative. Now if you have a P5 home game you wait for the kickoff time because there's a chance it'll get moved, but for GS and Coastal I don't see why you can't set a tentative time.

3. Basically repeats what I quoted from the 2017 WSJ article. Fair enough, but that doesn't address the concern of our program not using the same standard for measuring attendance as most other G5s.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

4. Default Re: Eagle Insider: From the Desk of Tom Kleinlein (Alcohol / Kickoff times / Attendan

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    I freaking hope so.

5. Default Re: Eagle Insider: From the Desk of Tom Kleinlein (Alcohol / Kickoff times / Attendan

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

3. Basically repeats what I quoted from the 2017 WSJ article. Fair enough, but that doesn't address the concern of our program not using the same standard for measuring attendance as most other G5s.
    This is perplexing to me.

There is simply no reason to not switch to the other method. Continuing this method just makes us look pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I freaking hope so.
    Those first two questions I could see being asked by a casual fan who never reads the board.

That last question though is likely a response to this board. Your typical fan isn't looking into other school's attendance numbers and raising concern about how our numbers will be perceived.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

7. Default Re: Eagle Insider: From the Desk of Tom Kleinlein (Alcohol / Kickoff times / Attendan

Those first two questions I could see being asked by a casual fan who never sees the board.

That last question though is likely a response to this board. Your typical fan isn't looking into other school's attendance numbers and raising concern about how our numbers will be perceived.
    And his response was total BS.

Players do as well, but are highly encouraged not too.

The entire athletic dept does pretty much and this is nothing new. They've been reading this site for 20+ years. When I was first introduced to Danny Reed, he already knew my board handle lol.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

10. Default Re: Eagle Insider: From the Desk of Tom Kleinlein (Alcohol / Kickoff times / Attendan

Those first two questions I could see being asked by a casual fan who never reads the board.

He reads it, he told me so, I donít know to what degree he does, or how often but he at least browses (or at least used to).