TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

So.. that means if I'm an opposing DC... I'm going to change my approach to defending GS throughout the game.

It just nullifies whatever Bob decides after wasting a quarter of football.

2. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Quote Originally Posted by TheEagleWay View Post
    So.. that means if I'm an opposing DC... I'm going to change my approach to defending GS throughout the game.

It just nullifies whatever Bob decides after wasting a quarter of football.
    Yep.

It’s incredibly frustrating to see so much “testing out” and so little of anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I don't understand Debeese's philosophy on the dive.

Every team sees us do that, and they know exactly what we will do.

What on Earth keeps them from throwing misleading looks? What keeps them from simply coming up with strategies to use on our first drive (or two, or the, or the whole damned quarter) and then just switching coverages/strategies/looks or whatever later?

It seems like he doesn't understand that every single team sees how predictable we are on the opening drives and they prepare for it. They are actually capable of deceit. I really don't think he understands that.

I don't think it could be more obvious that this "testing out" philosophy is not working.
    Because teams teams don’t have multiple “best” ways to defend this kind of offense. Just because they “know” what’s coming doesn’t mean they think they can afford to defend it with some kind of “dummy” scheme. It’s not like we’re literally trying not to score. We’re testing the waters and trying to identify what we can potentially exploit later, but they still have to actually stop the plays.

As has been pointed out in great detail, there are LOTS of plays where we are inches from busting loose, only to have a missed assignment or poorly executed block or bad read stop us. If you can allow yourself for a second to imagine that that’s likely a function of injuries, suspensions, and inadequate personnel who have bounced around the line from week to week, it’s not such a leap to recognize that DeBesse could call a perfect game and we could still look like trash. I’m not saying he HAS been calling perfect games, but the players ultimately have to (and have to be able to) execute for us to be successful.

If the film says the plays are set to work and and they don’t due to poor execution, and we know that we’ve had a variety of personnel issues, then isn’t that the most obvious place to point a finger? As opposed to assuming DeBesse doesn’t know how to call a game?
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

4. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Too many excuses.

He had these same issues towards the end of his stint at NM (dive, dive, dive, dive option short side, draw, punt, etc) injuries sure don't help though, so I will give him that.

5. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

I guess it is a waste of time to review film from last year to see how teams defended our offense.

Quote Originally Posted by gsueagle18 View Post
    Too many excuses.

He had these same issues towards the end of his stint at NM (dive, dive, dive, dive option short side, draw, punt, etc) injuries sure don't help though, so I will give him that.
    They’re not “excuses” if they’re facts and they’re things that would obviously have a negative impact on our execution. Those are called “reasons”.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

P.S.: the questions certainly make it seem like Jaudon is a forum watcher. Hi, Travis!

8. Default Re: Bob DeBesse opens up on ‘disjointed’ Georgia Southern offense

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    As for the article itself....yawn. Just a bunch of excuses. I’m not going to act like losing Miller didn’t hurt. It did. But don’t give me this sob story about how much it hurt to not have Kennedy and then only put the ball in his hands 9 times in an 83 play game. DeBesse wastes an entire quarter putting us in a deficit and then spins his wheel-o-plays and wherever the ball ends up it ends up. Said it last year and I’ll say it again...this is the laziest coordinating I think I’ve ever seen.
    This proves your ignorance. Just the fact WK3 is on the field changes how the defense has to prepare. With our o-line issues, space is our friend. Shai has played two games. WK3 has played one game. We threw the ball 17 times last game. Everyone with a brain knew this schedule was ridiculously top heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    P.S.: the questions certainly make it seem like Jaudon is a forum watcher. Hi, Travis!
    Lol he says he looked for the first time all season last night, but not sure I buy it

Opening drive vs South Alabama

Play 1 - 11 personnel. Dive to Logan Wright, Werts should have kept
    Play 2 - 21 Personnel. Triple option, Laroche fumbles the pitch. Lost yards
    Play 3 - 4 wide, draw defense offsides and Werts rolls right and throws ball out of bounds. Wasted play
    Play 4 - 21 Personnel. Give to WK3, gains about 6 but still short of 1st down.
    Play 5 - Punt.
    Last edited by PowerEagle; 17th October 2019 at 08:10 AM.