TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Injuries

Default Re: Injuries

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    Exactly. Not to knock Backer in any way, but we now have a walk on starting at center. And yes I am well aware of all of the walk on's who became great players for us. Backer did a good job with snaps but then you also have to be able to block. Not sure who will be calling the assignments at the line. Bottom line our current offensive line is no where near the projected offensive line before the season started.
    IMO, we’re in better shape overall with Backer at C than we were with Dowdell playing C. So, while pre-season (pre-Miller injury) plans are out the window, things are better now than they were earlier in the season.

We’ve had so many practice reps over the past month that it’s hard for me to guess what we’ll look like from this point. Who knows? Maybe things will tighten up. There have been some indications that we’re not content to stand pat (in terms of personnel) at OL. I bet we’ve seen some competition along the front during the long layoff.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

It is now a matter of the coaches coaching up our players and for the players to show up; show out and live that GATA attitude !

"Winners don't quit and quitters don't win"
    SlickEagle now, formally known as EagleDawg

Exactly. Not to knock Backer in any way, but we now have a walk on starting at center. And yes I am well aware of all of the walk on's who became great players for us. Backer did a good job with snaps but then you also have to be able to block. Not sure who will be calling the assignments at the line. Bottom line our current offensive line is no where near the projected offensive line before the season started.
    Another issue is the disparity of OL that were recruited vs walkons as upperclassmen right now.

We have almost as many freshman OL as we do upperclassmen OL that were recruited/ranked. The rest are padded out with walkons. That doesn't mean they're bad, but it also isn't great for them to be unbalanced like that. The freshman class has 6OL in it that are all scholarship players. We need a couple more classes like that.

Cooper was the one of the last players from Fritz, and even then he was originally a walkon. Everyone else is a mix of Summers/Lunsford, with the majority of those contributing being from Summers. The only upperclassmen not recruited by him are Dowdell and Webb who were JUCOs that Lunsford grabbed in 2018.

So a lot of what we're seeing right now is due to all the offensive turbulence we had....and the disruption it caused to our recruiting classes. We've got to get through this rough patch before it gets better. As the guys from last year's signing class start contributing, hopefully we'll see a good bit of improvement.

I also want to see 5-6 OL in this year's class. And next year's class. We need to stock up...especially when you don't know what is going to happen like how Cooper got DQed.

Question is now what is he depth situation behind Backer? Dowdell is the obvious #2 now, but who else on the roster can play Center? Could Jawaski Webb or Caleb Kelly be moved there? What about freshmen like Pyron or Henshaw?
    Artist Formerly Known as ditka4prez

http://www.forgotten5.com

Quote Originally Posted by ForgottenEagle View Post
    Question is now what is he depth situation behind Backer? Dowdell is the obvious #2 now, but who else on the roster can play Center? Could Jawaski Webb or Caleb Kelly be moved there? What about freshmen like Pyron or Henshaw?
    Who knows?

Webb, Kelly, and Henshaw are all listed on the two-deep at other positions, but that doesn't mean everything.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

6. Default Re: Injuries

Cooper was a walkon as well.

7. Default Re: Injuries

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    IMO, we’re in better shape overall with Backer at C than we were with Dowdell playing C. So, while pre-season (pre-Miller injury) plans are out the window, things are better now than they were earlier in the season.

We’ve had so many practice reps over the past month that it’s hard for me to guess what we’ll look like from this point. Who knows? Maybe things will tighten up. There have been some indications that we’re not content to stand pat (in terms of personnel) at OL. I bet we’ve seen some competition along the front during the long layoff.
    Man....

I hope so.

Hopefully snaps won’t be a problem. If we can just to average play out of the line, we might have a good shot at a bowl.

8. Default Re: Injuries

Quote Originally Posted by gsu01 View Post
    Cooper was a walkon as well.
    I know that. I won't get into our past OLine recruiting.

9. Default Re: Injuries

I know that. I won't get into our past OLine recruiting.
    TS is just the gift that keeps on giving.

(Although I sure thought the O line was our very top recruiting priority last cycle. You would think with GT out of the picture for that kind of player, recruiting would have been a snap.)

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    TS is just the gift that keeps on giving.

(Although I sure thought the O line was our very top recruiting priority last cycle. You would think with GT out of the picture for that kind of player, recruiting would have been a snap.)
    We brought in 5 OL last year. OL is not a position that just fixes itself in one year of recruiting though.

However you don't just wholesale put 5 freshmen in on the line. They'll start contributing next year.

We need to bring in 5 in each class the next few years to keep from being in the situation we're in now.

Remember when we saw App's production on offense start dropping when they had a crap OL coach and recruiting starting in the 10/11 timeframe? They didn't really dig out of that until they started the transition to the Sun Belt. the end of 2014 is really when the work they put into fixing the OL started paying dividends. OL is the one group you can't allow to get into a situation like what we're facing.

I also don't think GT's OL recruiting was that great.