TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE?

Default Re: IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Ticket sales are what drive bowl selections at our level and Georgia Southern has a pretty good track record so far with post season ticket sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    If Georgia Southern wins 6 games, we'll be in a bowl every year. We sell tickets. There's nothing else beyond that.
    All of this.

Ticket sales and money injected into the local economy is the only thing that matters for the SBC tie ins.

We have a good track record of that.

If we were to get off to a hot start and then have a late-season collapse and finish 6-6, I could see our bowl ticket sales taking a dip to the point we sit at home.

But obviously that's not going to come into play this season. Win 6 and we'll get the bid
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

If Georgia Southern wins 6 games, we'll be in a bowl every year. We sell tickets. There's nothing else beyond that.
    I respectfully disagree. If we only get 6 wins, I think we get left out simply because there will be too many other team eligible with not enough spots. Last year there were 6 SBC teams with 6 or more wins. If there are only 4 teams with 6 wins, there is something else wrong with our conference. Right now App and ULL have 4 wins each. State, Coastal, and GState have 3 each. Pretty good chance those 5 all get to 6 before we do... at least 4 of those 5 will. I will say, I'd like to have 6 before we play GState.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

4. Default Re: IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE?

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. If we only get 6 wins, I think we get left out simply because there will be too many other team eligible with not enough spots. Last year there were 6 SBC teams with 6 or more wins. If there are only 4 teams with 6 wins, there is something else wrong with our conference. Right now App and ULL have 4 wins each. State, Coastal, and GState have 3 each. Pretty good chance those 5 all get to 6 before we do... at least 4 of those 5 will. I will say, I'd like to have 6 before we play GState.
    We have 5 tie-ins, right?

GS, App, ULL, Troy, Ark State - those are your ticket sellers

ULM, TXST, Coastal, GAST, USA - these are your teams that get in when there are enough spots to go around

It's that simple. I've made a stink about us needing to inflate our ticket numbers if all the other teams are, but the bowl reps are visiting actual sites and they know who buys real tickets and travel well. We're fine until we stop showing up, and even then we're going to get the benefit of the doubt for a while.

We have 5 tie-ins, right?

GS, App, ULL, Troy, Ark State - those are your ticket sellers

ULM, TXST, Coastal, GAST, USA - these are your teams that get in when there are enough spots to go around

It's that simple. I've made a stink about us needing to inflate our ticket numbers if all the other teams are, but the bowl reps are visiting actual sites and they know who buys real tickets and travel well. We're fine until we stop showing up, and even then we're going to get the benefit of the doubt for a while.
    We do have 5. Just keep in mind last year ULM got left out with 6 wins because everyone else had more. If we tie someone with 6, then we get the nod. But I don't think that's what will happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    We do have 5. Just keep in mind last year ULM got left out with 6 wins because everyone else had more. If we tie someone with 6, then we get the nod. But I don't think that's what will happen.
    No they got left out because they don't drive ticket sales.

Bowls care about how generates money around the bowl. They don't care about whether or not you have 6 vs 7 wins.

7. Default Re: IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE?

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    No they got left out because they don't drive ticket sales.

Bowls care about how generates money around the bowl. They don't care about whether or not you have 6 vs 7 wins.
    Yeah if we hit 6 we are in.

Does the new myrtle beach bowl game increase coastals chances?
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    Does the new myrtle beach bowl game increase coastals chances?
    Doubtful, at least for that one. They'll want a fanbase from out of town that can bring people to hotels. It's the same reason the Camellia Bowl would really rather not have Troy if possible.

However there's a chance that it could pull someone like Troy over and open up a possibility for the Alabama bowls to have different selections. They'd have to start selling more tickets though. The committees knew in 2015 that we'd sell tickets because of the crowds we'd already pulled. I haven't seen any of Coastal's crowds yet, but from what they've had the last 2 years they wouldn't have someone jumping to get them.

10. Default Re: IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE?

I do think our chances would be much better than other teams on the bubble.

We just gotta stay on the bubble.