TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OC Needs to Settle On Offensive Plan

1. Default OC Needs to Settle On Offensive Plan

https://www.savannahnow.com/sports/2...offensive-plan

...........Problem is, thereís only one football. The lack of a true rotation, a true pecking order, for these backs has become increasingly clear during a rough start to the 2019 season for head coach Chad Lunsfordís team. If the Eagles want to make the most of the remainder of this campaign, Iíd expect a rotation of five ball-carriers to be shortened to a group of three.
    Itís rare to see a successful offense depend on so many players to score points, but so far in 2019, thatís exactly what an unsuccessful GS offense has done.........
    "I believe political correctness is one of the most dangerous movements facing America." Erk Russell

Default Re: OC Needs to Settle On Offensive Plan

Yeah, I beg to differ on this being a major problem.

Since we play two RBs on a majority of plays, I donít understand how going two-deep hurts the team.

All of them have enough skill to deserve reps. Playing RB in this offense isnít just about carries.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Yea it's obvious he doesn't understand option offenses in general, especially one that uses a lot of two back sets.

He's also shocked that the backs that get dives are getting high numbers of carries + QB.

The difference last year was Fields/Garrett were really our only experienced RBs so we leaned on them a lot. That's not the case this year. Also, Kennedy will likely not have a high number of touches anyway just from the fact we move him around instead of just in the backfield.

And yes, we put RBs on the field a lot just for them to block.

4. Default Re: OC Needs to Settle On Offensive Plan

Logan Wright out 4 to 6 weeks with a neck injury.

5. Default Re: OC Needs to Settle On Offensive Plan

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    Logan Wright out 4 to 6 weeks with a neck injury.
    Give JD King about 30 carries next game. I think he is one of those backs that thrives on multiple carries.

Quote Originally Posted by TiftEagle View Post
    Give JD King about 30 carries next game. I think he is one of those backs that thrives on multiple carries.
    Well one thing people forget is he's basically a freshman in our scheme. He is being asked to do some things here he wasn't at Okie State. We're much more demanding in blocking needs from our RBs and there is a learning curve.

He definitely needs more reps to get up to speed.

So . . . Who’s the next man up? Does anyone join the in-game rotation now?

I’m guessing the redshirt stays on Gerald Green, though of course he could (in theory) get his “free games” in now.

Or do we go with Cunningham (who is another big-bodied guy and thus possibly a better temporary replacement for Logan Wright’s power)?

Jared Daniels has always been productive in scrimmages, so maybe he gets in the game.

Thoughts?
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

We need to see what we have with both Green and Cunningham. No reason not to use these guys, as we don’t have any senior running backs.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    So . . . Who’s the next man up? Does anyone join the in-game rotation now?

I’m guessing the redshirt stays on Gerald Green, though of course he could (in theory) get his “free games” in now.

Or do we go with Cunningham (who is another big-bodied guy and thus possibly a better temporary replacement for Logan Wright’s power)?

Jared Daniels has always been productive in scrimmages, so maybe he gets in the game.

Thoughts?

We were basically rolling with 3 RB’s before Kennedy came back and that’s what we did in the 2nd half of USA game so I don’t see why that would change. King is just going to have to take on more of the “power” workload that he and Wright were splitting.

Now with that said I don’t think it would be the worst idea to get Green a few reps to give him a little bit of experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

10. Default Re: OC Needs to Settle On Offensive Plan

I watched a DeBesse offense pretty extensively at New Mexico.... and have watched all the GASO games this year. The offense can be highly effective, with big play capability, but right now GASO is running power backs with lower big play potential... Probably because no other option exists outside of Kennedy. The "dive man" at New Mexico wasn't a Logan Wright... But the entire offense is predicated on hitting that dive play, which just hasn't been working for GASO this year. You can't get to the edge if that play doesnt work. You can't pass effectively if that play doesn't work.

New Mexico led the nation in long runs several times under DeBesse, and most of them were the dive man. If you watch the South Alabama game, you can clearly see its just not working for some reason. Either the holes aren't there, the players aren't finding them, or the player doesn't have the speed or ability to break it open..

This likely means GASO has problems on the offensive line or at running back. Logan and JD are good players, but they aren't the kinds of guys that allowed DeBesse and New Mexico to lead the nation in rushing yards per game. They are short yardage guys. They aren't going to break open huge runs.

Lastly... I will say that DeBesse is a really good offensive coordinator. You don't lead the nation in big plays, lead the nation in rushing, etc at a horrible program like New Mexico if you don't know what you are doing... GASO has a personnel problem this year.

They either need to solve the problem with the dive play, or start attacking the perimeter way more than they are now to try and setup the dive play, instead of the other way around. DeBesse always uses the dive to setup everything else, but that will need to change if they can't figure out how to make the dive more effective. This offense should be hitting 2-3 plays over 50 yards per game... It's not meant to be a 3-4 yard per play offense. It needs some big plays, and he's always had them until this year. Aren't getting any big plays.