TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: South Alabama post game gripes.

Default Re: South Alabama post game gripes.

I'm not seeing any limitations from Shai we didn't already see last season.

When he has a guy open downfield he's on target. His pass to Michaud was right on target and wasn't caught.

It's hard for most college QBs to complete a pass when the other team has 7 guys dropped back into coverage. Even the better Georgia Southern option QBs are not going to convert many of those 3rd downs.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Michaud has to catch that TD pass. That was game over if he does.

The offense was putrid on third and long. It was bad enough that we should consider rotating Tomlin every ______ possessions in the hopes that we can develop his ability as a passer.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Agreed, but it's the way we did it. Shai is obviously not a great thrower, so when it's a straight drop back pass, the defense has nothing to bite on. We don't have the receivers to win jump balls, or the QB to stand in the pocket.

I'd love to see 10-15 passes a game, but it absolutely has to be off of play action.
    If Werts is still nursing a sore shoulder, that might explain why there wasn't much passing off of play action...all of the twisting and turning in motion is tough on a good shoulder let alone a bad one. I didn't watch the game but have seen enough of the past two seasons to know that we rarely use a slant pattern or involve a pass-catching TE enough in our offense, save for Ellis Richardson. I think 12-15 passes per game is a solid amount (2-3 per sustained possession), but I'm not convinced we'll ever be routinely successful on 3rd and long...too much pressure to perform.

And for the record...while I'm not advocating throwing in the towel on DeBesse just yet, we need to think long an hard about an eventual replacement. The number of young(er), dynamic OC's with run-first or option-based experience is very small and getting smaller each year. We're not getting Brent Davis back at Southern, so we're going to have to continue to reshape our offense both from a play and recruited player perspective or we're not going to be seeing the results we expect.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I'm not seeing any limitations from Shai we didn't already see last season.

When he has a guy open downfield he's on target. His pass to Michaud was right on target and wasn't caught.

It's hard for most college QBs to complete a pass when the other team has 7 guys dropped back into coverage. Even the better Georgia Southern option QBs are not going to convert many of those 3rd downs.
    Two things we saw last night, however, were uncharacteristic: (1) Shai wasn’t as productive scrambling on third and long; (2) Shai tried his best to throw interceptions.

We ran the ball well enough that we should have tried to get five or six yards on multiple 3rd and long plays (so as to set up a convertible 4th-down), but we averaged around 2 ypp in those passing situations, while—even worse—throwing passes into defenders’ hands. That ain’t good at all.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post
    If Werts is still nursing a sore shoulder, that might explain why there wasn't much passing off of play action...all of the twisting and turning in motion is tough on a good shoulder let alone a bad one. I didn't watch the game but have seen enough of the past two seasons to know that we rarely use a slant pattern or involve a pass-catching TE enough in our offense, save for Ellis Richardson. I think 12-15 passes per game is a solid amount (2-3 per sustained possession), but I'm not convinced we'll ever be routinely successful on 3rd and long...too much pressure to perform.

And for the record...while I'm not advocating throwing in the towel on DeBesse just yet, we need to think long an hard about an eventual replacement. The number of young(er), dynamic OC's with run-first or option-based experience is very small and getting smaller each year. We're not getting Brent Davis back at Southern, so we're going to have to continue to reshape our offense both from a play and recruited player perspective or we're not going to be seeing the results we expect.
    I think we could probably pay Doug Ruse a bit more than Arkansas Tech could

I'm not convinced we'll ever be routinely successful on 3rd and long...too much pressure to perform.
    IMO, if we have 3rd and 9 at our opponents’ 40-yard line, “successful” would mean setting up a manageable 4th down or a long FG attempt. We really struggled to do that last night. It wouldn’t matter against Minnesota or LSU, when we couldn’t convert a 4th and 3, but it did seem to matter last night, especially in the first half, when we were getting a good push from our OL.

Come on over to the Nest so we can discuss this.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    I think we could probably pay Doug Ruse a bit more than Arkansas Tech could

You want another 60-year-old OC on the backside of his career?

Plus, Ruse has coached in that area much of his life. That might be where he wants to stay.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

8. Default Re: South Alabama post game gripes.

We can if he’s the HC. I wonder how awesome we’d be today had he gotten the job when Coach Monken went to West Point.

9. Default Re: South Alabama post game gripes.

Mr. Frye, I'm assuming your son was Garrett Frye. Lol. You've seen a lot of offensive line play, does it look like to you that our guys are just slow? When your son was here they were quick and got to the point of attack really fast. Imo, it's not the offensive scheme but the difference in the o-line getting on there blocks quick enough.

10. Default Re: South Alabama post game gripes.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Mitty View Post
    We can if he’s the HC. I wonder how awesome we’d be today had he gotten the job when Coach Monken went to West Point.
    While i love the flex, you guys have to pick what you want. Running the flex, we will not put many guys in the NFL. Therefore, we won't be getting any big time recruits except for the defensive side. Also, out of conference scheduling will become a nightmare.