TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: South Alabama post game gripes.

Default South Alabama post game gripes.

1. We threw the ball too much tonight. I don't see the point. We're just not good at it and we were running the ball fine for the most part. We should not be throwing the ball unless it's 3rd and long, play-action, or a fake-option pass.

2. I like JD King, but IMO Wright needs to be getting the most carries. He's just the best IZ runner we have and is strong.

3. If you're going to come out with 4 wideouts and throw it on 3rd and 5 type situations, please use Justin Tomlin. I'll fight anyone who thinks Tomlin is better in the option game than Werts right now, but if it's a passing down (especially with 4 wideouts) Tomlin needs to be the guy.

4. It would be okay with me if we didn't see another 11 or 10 set again this season, unless it's a passing down. We can't run the option from it at all (and it nearly caused a catastrophic turnover), and the slot (the third wideout) might as well not even be there unless we start using him in the option game somehow.

5. Why did we get away from attacking the perimeter with our multi-back sets? (See #4)

6. Our OL is just plain not very good - at least for now - and I don't care who the OC is, it's going to be tough sledding.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Default Re: South Alabama post game gripes.

The offensive coordinator is worse than any we have ever had not named Rance. Mitch is now safe from Bob.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Did Logan Wright play another down after he appeared to get his bell rung?
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    1. We threw the ball too much tonight. I don't see the point. We're just not good at it and we were running the ball fine for the most part. We should not be throwing the ball unless it's 3rd and long, play-action, or a fake-option pass.

2. I like JD King, but IMO Wright needs to be getting the most carries. He's just the best IZ runner we have and is strong.

3. If you're going to come out with 4 wideouts and throw it on 3rd and 5 type situations, please use Justin Tomlin. I'll fight anyone who thinks Tomlin is better in the option game than Werts right now, but if it's a passing down (especially with 4 wideouts) Tomlin needs to be the guy.

4. It would be okay with me if we didn't see another 11 or 10 set again this season, unless it's a passing down. We can't run the option from it at all (and it nearly caused a catastrophic turnover), and the slot (the third wideout) might as well not even be there unless we start using him in the option game somehow.

5. Why did we get away from attacking the perimeter with our multi-back sets? (See #4)

6. Our OL is just plain not very good - at least for now - and I don't care who the OC is, it's going to be tough sledding.

5. Thoughout the gun option era including the Fritz days I always wondered this.
    Go Eagles!!

5. Default Re: South Alabama post game gripes.

I could be wrong but I believe that Vildor showed up in the end zone on both SA touchdowns and he lined up on the other side of the field. Seems like he saw what was happening from the opposite corner position what the other backs didnít or couldnít see. I hope we see one of our younger safeties show up as a leader in the future. Tough to expect from a true freshman. I want us to throw on all downs. I donít mean 5 wide and no one in the backfield. I just donít think we have many true receivers who can compete and catch one on ones with their hands in tight zones. We donít have anyone that creates much separation either for that matter. I donít mean our slots. Kennedy did showcase a little of what we missed.I had a bad feeling about every set with one back and one halfback. I assume that is what you guys call 11 personnel. Itís odd that the only deception we seem to have is out of the stacked I formation. It worked and the annoying announcer kept calling it the bobsled formation. We could split out of that and run different triple options to either side of the field. My brother was listening the the radio and called me. Quote ďWhat the hell is Southern doin? Trying to give away the game? Going five wide, throwing the ball all over the place, outrushing the other team by 200 yard and only losing 14-10.Ē I suppose that is probably where the frustration with passing is coming from. I just think throwing on third and long is too predictable and desperate. Right now it doesnít feel better than running passes on third and forever out of the flex. God that was always painful. No I am not taking a dig at the flex option, just the way I always felt on third and long. Thatís about all I have to say about that. Till next game.

Someone else pointed out on the game tying drive we used the 21 personnel package on every play. They could not stop us. Go into OT and naturally we went back to a 1 back set. WTF?

We win in the first OT if not for a bogus formation call. What the heck was that. Our wideout was clearly on the line of scrimmage. So, instead of first and goal from the 3 we have 3rd and 6. That one call nearly cost us the game. But, I will say that this game otherwise was pretty well officiated.

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    We win in the first OT if not for a bogus formation call. What the heck was that. Our wideout was clearly on the line of scrimmage. So, instead of first and goal from the 3 we have 3rd and 6. That one call nearly cost us the game. But, I will say that this game otherwise was pretty well officiated.
    Nearside WR was WAY off the line. It was a legit call.

I will never understand how a WR gets called for that. He should check with the ref every time he lines up, and he'll tell them if he's on the line or not.

Even so, Werts not tucking it and getting the first down was mind blowing.