TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Line issues

Default Re: Offensive Line issues

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    OL coach is definitely an area where I'd have some focus in the next few months.

I don't think he's bad, but we have to question if there's something we can do to either help him or figure out something different.

We've seen good OL coaching under Davis, Sewak, and Atkins. We can't sit here and continue to watch the struggling. The snapping issues alone are bothering me. You'd have issues when there was massive turnover on the OL, but it would work itself out in a few games as players got more experience. They were all very good at what they did. I was actually a proponent of bringing in Sewak as an analyst when PJ retired (as well as Doug Ruse instead of letting him go to a D2).

And honestly, I want someone coaching OL that can instill that attitude we used to have where it seemed like there was nothing better in the world for our guys than jacking someone up. It may have been an extension of Monken's intensity, but those players from that era seemed to enjoy blasting defenders more than scoring points and it showed in our aggressiveness to make blocks. People say that zone blocking is "softer" but tell that to the kid from LSU who blasted 2 Vandy players on the same play last week. We may not be cutting DL as much, but we should be attempting to put the front side of their pads through their back.

We also need some OTs closer to what we've seen in the past....right now our OL looks like we have OGs on the edge, and it's a lot to ask of guys like that in an option scheme for some of the stuff they have to do.

And honestly, we just got a good lesson in how aggressive and strong an OL can be zone blocking on Saturday night.
    Where did our current OL coach come from?

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post
    Second year here. Charleston Southern/ before that Alabama State/ before that analyst-consultant one year at Penn State/ before that Nevada/ before that UMass/ before that NEW MEXICO/ been coaching since 1991.

3. Default Re: Offensive Line issues

Realistically, our biggest issue is injuries and graduation.

The OL lost a lot.

We just MUST recruit heavy for that assignment. We have no depth left.

He’s best known for a long stint at ULL (mid to late 2000s?) and for a shorter stint at Nevada that overlapped with DeBesse’s tenure at UNM.

He’s been bouncing around lately.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

I am sure the coaching staff knew there were OL issues coming into this season. We recruited 7 OL in the 2019 recruiting class (30+% of our class). Not many freshman linemen are ready for FBS play their freshmen year. I would expect to see the OL play be much better next year as these freshmen O-linemen have a year to add muscle mass, learn the system, and gel as a unit.

Won’t strategic cut blocking help cut down on injuries? Or is it blocking schemes? If the line has problems executing the scheme or they’re overmatched, is it not a good idea under our system now or is cutting only applicable under center? I know cut blocking limits us with scheduling when it was done all the time but if we can use it when needed.....

Quote Originally Posted by soccereagle View Post
    Won’t strategic cut blocking help cut down on injuries? Or is it blocking schemes? If the line has problems executing the scheme or they’re overmatched, is it not a good idea under our system now or is cutting only applicable under center? I know cut blocking limits us with scheduling when it was done all the time but if we can use it when needed.....
    We do cut block some, mainly on the perimeter.

We can't cut as much in the middle cause we need OL getting off combo blocks and climbing to the second level to take out LBs.

We can't cut as much in the middle cause we need OL getting off combo blocks and climbing to the second level to take out LBs.
    like #59 last week for ULL?(smile), not sure we got to him often enough. I heard his named called so often on the PA, last Saturday, I thought he was my cousin.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    like #59 last week for ULL?(smile), not sure we got to him often enough. I heard his named called so often on the PA, last Saturday, I thought he was my cousin.
    You’re right, but I also think ULL had multiple guys named “Boudreaux.”
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Additionally, the way refs are calling chop blocks (high-low double teams) it isn't worth the penalty yards. IIRC that call was why we didn't go up on UGA in Athens in 2012 right before the half.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology