TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Offensive Line issues

Default Re: Offensive Line issues

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Good O-Lines take time to gel, in the past those 4-8 guys were tight, theyed hang out together, work together, knew each other inside and out, they became one unit. When your constantly "mix matching" players/lineup your right, minimal cohesion which leads to inconsistent play. Correct me if I'm wrong Eagle 58. Your son knew a little about offensive line play and the importance of melding into a unit rather than an individual. For heavens sake, how many centers have we used this year for an example.
    ^^^^truth^^^^

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

We were pretty solid on the OL in 2013 and 2014. When McBurnett went down with injuries D'Fo (Darien Foreman) became a very solid starter. And while Klugey wasn't a standout at RT, he held his own for the most part, and lord knows Manrey was hardly ever nicked up, which is saying something given the way he played. I think part of that lines ability to stay focused and (relatively) unhurt was due in part to Brent Davis's style of making the guys know their assignments inside and out, backwards and forwards, and the way Atkins made them execute in practice. His style was very controlled and success driven. Both guys were extremely technical.

I'd like to add that I believe if Atkins were still here we wouldn't be having this level of issues with the OL...either from technique or recruiting. And I'm not saying our current OL coach is bad...just saying something isn't clicking.
    Last edited by eagle#58; 1st October 2019 at 03:16 PM.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Examples? Or is this more of your "I know how I remember it and facts to the contrary be damned"?
    one of Tulane's Rb, he's a SR this year was recruited to come here as a QB. When Tulane poached Willie the kid decided to go with the guy who recruited him. His 1st year at Tulane he was QB but after his freshman year Willie moved him to RB and he has had a pretty good career there. So yep, I guess Wiilie "stole" him.

one of Tulane's Rb, he's a SR this year was recruited to come here as a QB. When Tulane poached Willie the kid decided to go with the guy who recruited him. His 1st year at Tulane he was QB but after his freshman year Willie moved him to RB and he has had a pretty good career there. So yep, I guess Wiilie "stole" him.
    I would say so, as the kid had already signed his GS LoI and enrolled here for spring semester, IIRC.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

5. Default Re: Offensive Line issues

Bradwell (IIRC)

One thing I don't understand. I've heard some of you say, and, he said to me personally after the first Gag State game, that this was the best OL he'd ever worked with, gushed about their length... Why in God's name would he then go out and recruit a different type of lineman??

I knew about that one recruit. I’m interested in hearing about the GS ‘players’ he’s alleged to have taken.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

8. Default Re: Offensive Line issues

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Okay I'll take the bait...

How was a coach who won us 18 games in our first 2 years at the FBS level (including a 1 point loss to NC State, 4 point loss to Tech, and a 6 point loss in OT to UGA) in the category of one of the worst coaches we've ever had?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Fritz has the 3rd highest win % of any GS head coach.
    I said he was the best of the worst. I did not say he was the worst. He inherited a full stable and he had success with them. I’m told he left the program much worse off than how he found it. I’ll leave it at that.

This is not a piss on your parade statement, so dont take it that way. But for those of you who think Statesboro has an edge over the Big Easy in the eyes of an 18 yo recruit, you're deluding yourselves.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post
    We were pretty solid on the OL in 2013 and 2014. When McBurnett went down with injuries D'Fo (Darien Foreman) became a very solid starter. And while Klugey wasn't a standout at RT, he held his own for the most part, and lord knows Manrey was hardly ever nicked up, which is saying something given the way he played. I think part of that lines ability to stay focused and (relatively) unhurt was due in part to Brent Davis's style of making the guys know their assignments inside and out, backwards and forwards, and the way Atkins made them execute in practice. His style was very controlled and success driven. Both guys were extremely technical.

I'd like to add that I believe if Atkins were still here we wouldn't be having this level of issues with the OL...either from technique or recruiting. And I'm not saying our current OL coach is bad...just saying something isn't clicking.
    OL coach is definitely an area where I'd have some focus in the next few months.

I don't think he's bad, but we have to question if there's something we can do to either help him or figure out something different.

We've seen good OL coaching under Davis, Sewak, and Atkins. We can't sit here and continue to watch the struggling. The snapping issues alone are bothering me. You'd have issues when there was massive turnover on the OL, but it would work itself out in a few games as players got more experience. They were all very good at what they did. I was actually a proponent of bringing in Sewak as an analyst when PJ retired (as well as Doug Ruse instead of letting him go to a D2).

And honestly, I want someone coaching OL that can instill that attitude we used to have where it seemed like there was nothing better in the world for our guys than jacking someone up. It may have been an extension of Monken's intensity, but those players from that era seemed to enjoy blasting defenders more than scoring points and it showed in our aggressiveness to make blocks. People say that zone blocking is "softer" but tell that to the kid from LSU who blasted 2 Vandy players on the same play last week. We may not be cutting DL as much, but we should be attempting to put the front side of their pads through their back.

We also need some OTs closer to what we've seen in the past....right now our OL looks like we have OGs on the edge, and it's a lot to ask of guys like that in an option scheme for some of the stuff they have to do.

And honestly, we just got a good lesson in how aggressive and strong an OL can be zone blocking on Saturday night.