TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Offensive Line issues

Default Offensive Line issues

One thing I noticed looking at the participation charts for ULL is that Verneal Henshaw (the backup LT) and Jawaski Webb (backup RT) didn't play.

Also, two things to note in the South Alabama game notes:
    1. Dowdell is now listed as the starting center for the first time
    2. Lawrence Edwards is listed as the immediate backup at both guards

I can tell you right now we wouldn't be playing Dowdell at center unless we were in a real jam. The real backup center is Peyton Backer, who was apparently playing guard against UL And it can never be a good sign that you've got one guy playing backup for both guards.

I tell you, if there's one aspect last year in which luck affected our season last year, it wasn't turnovers it was keeping Shai Werts and (for the most part) the OL healthy. With Cooper and Miller being out you basically had 4 guys who were on two-deep in camp who are now gone. That's going to be rough on any team, and is going to absolute hell on teams like us that don't have a lot of room for error at the position.

I don't care who is coaching or what you have at the skill positions, with what we have at OL it's going to be tough sledding.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Default Re: Offensive Line issues

Good find, BillyBob. As I said in another thread, OL issues aren't something you can consistently scheme around. Our OL losses were way more serious than Werts and WK3 being MIA.

You can't possibly think that has anything to do with it, BillyBob. I mean, come on. Haven't you read it on here a hundred times that something is seriously wrong with our program? Something bad happened over the summer? All of our coaches stink and apparently forgot how to coach?

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

For whatever reasons, obviously we've had mucho problems with the O-line this season. Again, something we arnt use to here at GS and needless to say, it's frustrating.

5. Default Re: Offensive Line issues

You are spot on regarding the offensive line. If you look at the losses from last year plus injuries this year it is no wonder we are having some issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    You are spot on regarding the offensive line. If you look at the losses from last year plus injuries this year it is no wonder we are having some issues.
    Good O-Lines take time to gel, in the past those 4-8 guys were tight, theyed hang out together, work together, knew each other inside and out, they became one unit. When your constantly "mix matching" players/lineup your right, minimal cohesion which leads to inconsistent play. Correct me if I'm wrong Eagle 58. Your son knew a little about offensive line play and the importance of melding into a unit rather than an individual. For heavens sake, how many centers have we used this year for an example.

7. Default Re: Offensive Line issues

Quote Originally Posted by TCM View Post
    Agree. ULL blew us off the ball on both sides. If you want to lead the country in rushing you have to have a line that is strong and will, what I call, constantly move forward. The OL cannot be on it's heels or get pushed back.

8. Default Re: Offensive Line issues

Quote Originally Posted by Mose Bass View Post
    Agree. ULL blew us off the ball on both sides. If you want to lead the country in rushing you have to have a line that is strong and will, what I call, constantly move forward. The OL cannot be on it's heels or get pushed back.
    Coach Fritz stated that the OL he inherited was the best he ever had in his career. He knew he was not staying and didn't see the need to recruit the position and TS didn't have a clue who to recruit, so here we are. I hope this staff has some players red shirting and are really looking for good players to fit our needs. I understand we have injuries, but as we are now seeing this has to be the most critical part of the offense we attempting to run.

Just a minor correction regarding last season: while we had pretty good luck with health once the season got rolling, we were missing two projected starters in Ryan Northrup and Drew Wilson for the entire season.
    Last edited by pete4256; 1st October 2019 at 10:04 AM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    One thing I noticed looking at the participation charts for ULL is that Verneal Henshaw (the backup LT) and Jawaski Webb (backup RT) didn't play.
    Unless my eyes deceived me, Webb wasn’t dressed.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops