TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 1990

Default Re: 1990

I was a Sophomore at GSU, one year removed from GSC. It was a rough start to the year, record-wise but could’ve been 3-1 instead of 1-3 if we only scored 12 more points.

The only problem I see with relating that season with this one was we were coming off of winning a Natty back in 1990. Even though we won 10 last season, we were a “razors edge” away from being a 7 win team. That’s why the ball is oblong with pointed ends. Sometimes the ball bounces your way and sometimes it doesn’t!

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    I know who Ben Griffith is but I thought his name was Griffin. Got to read my ERK book again!

I also found out, with long research, who really designed what we now call the Flex or Spread Triple Option.

You'll never guess what team he was OC for. ;-)

I'll give you $10 if any of you know!
    WHAT??????????
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed
    The T-Option is the powerful ground game ever devised & the FLEX is the best way to run it.
    If I want your opinion & don't like it I'll tell you what it should be.

Does anyone remember the SFA running back (#34 I think). He played with the Bills for along time. He scored in the 3rd quarter where the Howitzer sat Saturday and after he scored he jumped over the chain link fence and stared at some of us students that were sitting there in the grass. I thought we were in big trouble after that.

I know who Ben Griffith is but I thought his name was Griffin. Got to read my ERK book again!

I also found out, with long research, who really designed what we now call the Flex or Spread Triple Option.

You'll never guess what team he was OC for. ;-)

I'll give you $10 if any of you know!
    UNM.

I’ll give you $10 if anyone can tell me which former Falcons receiver was recruited by Griffith to play QB at UNM.
    Last edited by pete4256; 3rd October 2019 at 07:00 AM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    UNM.

I’ll give you $10 if anyone can tell me which former Falcons receiver was recruited by Griffith to play QB at UNM.
    Terance Mathis

I’ve always been told by people within the program during the Stowers era that he was extremely intelligent and had a high football IQ but lacked that “it” factor that Erk had for motivating players. We did have great special teams under stowers. It seemed like we were always blocking field goals. Of course, I might have selective memory.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    Terance Mathis
    I will give you your $10 once Eskimojoe settles all his gambling debts.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

8. Default Re: 1990

Quote Originally Posted by Wingspan View Post
    Does anyone remember the SFA running back (#34 I think). He played with the Bills for along time. He scored in the 3rd quarter where the Howitzer sat Saturday and after he scored he jumped over the chain link fence and stared at some of us students that were sitting there in the grass. I thought we were in big trouble after that.
    I seem to recall that was #37 Larry Centers. It was easy to tell he was something special running or catching the ball out of the backfield.

Quote Originally Posted by TiftEagle View Post
    I seem to recall that was #37 Larry Centers. It was easy to tell he was something special running or catching the ball out of the backfield.
    Yep. He had 800+ catches in the NFL, mostly playing FB for the Cardinals.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

10. Default Re: 1990

EAGLEPA - PLEASE, DO TELL! Rhetorical answer

Please understand that I am not bashing Coach Stowers. He was a great guy. He followed ERK. Not many could live up to that standard.

Do you remember the 1989 playoff game against Montana? I was at that crappy weather game. It rained, light hail, wind, light snow and very cold.

Stowers talked Erk into throwing the bomb for a TD at the end of the 2nd. THAT CHANGED THE GAME.
    I think it may have been warmer in Montana than it was in Statesboro that day. I was still sick at the national championship game the next Saturday. It was very cold and crisp that day as I recall. Beautiful day in Eagle history.