TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 1990

1. Default Re: 1990

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    EAGLEPA - PLEASE, DO TELL! Rhetorical answer

Please understand that I am not bashing Coach Stowers. He was a great guy. He followed ERK. Not many could live up to that standard.

Do you remember the 1989 playoff game against Montana? I was at that crappy weather game. It rained, light hail, wind, light snow and very cold.

Stowers talked Erk into throwing the bomb for a TD at the end of the 2nd. THAT CHANGED THE GAME.
    I think it may have been warmer in Montana than it was in Statesboro that day. I was still sick at the national championship game the next Saturday. It was very cold and crisp that day as I recall. Beautiful day in Eagle history.

Default Re: 1990

EAGLEPA - PLEASE, DO TELL! Rhetorical answer

Please understand that I am not bashing Coach Stowers. He was a great guy. He followed ERK. Not many could live up to that standard.

Do you remember the 1989 playoff game against Montana? I was at that crappy weather game. It rained, light hail, wind, light snow and very cold.

Stowers talked Erk into throwing the bomb for a TD at the end of the 2nd. THAT CHANGED THE GAME.
    I like Stowers too, but that was actually Jay who talked Erk into that instead of running the clock out there.
    Last edited by OneMoreTime; 3rd October 2019 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    UNM.

I’ll give you $10 if anyone can tell me which former Falcons receiver was recruited by Griffith to play QB at UNM.
    The OC at the University that drew up the basic flex was much further south. I'll tell you that it was developed in the mid 70s.

Now whats your clue for me?
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
    I likes Stowers too, but that was actually Jay who talked Erk into that instead of running the clock out there.
    Now I maybe wrong, but as remember there was a few seconds left in the 2nd quarter. The game was tight and instead of running out the clock GSCs offense scores with a bomb.
    You are probably right about Jay.

How old are you to remember such things or do you read "Just One More Time" over and over and watch the video all the time? ;-)
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

The OC at the University that drew up the basic flex was much further south. I'll tell you that it was developed in the mid 70s.

Oops. I misread your question.

From what I understand, Griffith’s big thing was adding the run and shoot elements to the option stuff we were running. I’m not sure what formation he was using at GS.

IIRC, PJ began 1985 using a lot of I, which is reflected in Ricky Harris’s breaking the 1,000-yard mark. I’m not sure how often Herman Barron played TE vs slot when we were in the I.

Did GS also use the I under Griffith?

Anyway, several “wishbone” coaches/teams were using “flexbone” on most plays by ‘87 or so, including Ken Hatfield at Arkansas and Fisher DeBerry at Air Force.

At some point, a lot of Wing T teams began using “double wing” formations, which are superficially similar.

I have no idea whether anyone else integrated the Run and Shoot concepts that Griffith and PJ used at GS.

As far someone using the “flexbone” in the ‘70s, I have no idea. I assume it was a wishbone team, though.

I guess I should consult Wikipedia.

I’m very interested in how GS’s mid-1980s offense differed from the “flexbone” approaches used by Hatfield and DeBerry. I assume those differences lay mostly the Run and Shoot components, but I don’t know that for sure.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Someone on the Internet gives the credit to wishbone-innovator Emory Bellard, who called it the “wingbone.”

Obviously, teams were running Wing T out of double wing formations before that, though.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Note: I just found some highlights for the 1984 season. Most of them are scoring plays, so the main formation was the Power I with Gerald Harris as the tailback.

Seriously, though, we seemed to be using kind of a “spread I” a lot, as well as a straight Run and Shoot-style formation.

It wasn’t recognizable as “flexbone,” but we were definitely running a lot of option along with Run and Shoot passing plays.

Just from that handful of plays, it seems the concepts came first and the double-slot “flexbone” formation came later.

I would love to know more.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Now I maybe wrong, but as remember there was a few seconds left in the 2nd quarter. The game was tight and instead of running out the clock GSCs offense scores with a bomb.
    You are probably right about Jay.

How old are you to remember such things or do you read "Just One More Time" over and over and watch the video all the time? ;-)
    I was a student back then, and one of the video coordinators beginning with the Stowers era....so I got to work, travel with and hear lots of stories from the coaches and their families over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Note: I just found some highlights for the 1984 season. Most of them are scoring plays, so the main formation was the Power I with Gerald Harris as the tailback.

Seriously, though, we seemed to be using kind of a “spread I” a lot, as well as a straight Run and Shoot-style formation.

It wasn’t recognizable as “flexbone,” but we were definitely running a lot of option along with Run and Shoot passing plays.

Just from that handful of plays, it seems the concepts came first and the double-slot “flexbone” formation came later.

I would love to know more.
    I can only contribute that the double wing/flexbone formation is also the base formation of the run and shoot.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I can only contribute that the double wing/flexbone formation is also the base formation of the run and shoot.
    Sorta. The RB is further back, and the slots are legit slot receivers as opposed to “slot/wing backs,” aren’t they?

You get motion going between the QB and the RB, in any case.

If I understand correctly, we DID use the flex to accomplish Run and Shoot goals, namely the four verticals stuff that included WR option routes. I think we used some of the R&S half-rollout by the QB, too.

The flexbone allowed us to be a great veer team that could also beat people with R&S concepts. As time went on, the four verticals element of the playbook become more of a constraint rather than a staple component. And we couldn’t execute it consistently after about 1990.

Again, I’d love to hear folks who were older than me back in the mid ‘80s (I was nine in 1985 and remember the R&S mostly from the NFL) chime in to provide more information and correct my misconceptions.
    Thanks, Rastabot!