TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting

1. Default Recruiting

is name of the game. Being ranked 90-110 ain't going to cut it.

Default Re: Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by gregallman View Post
    is name of the game. Being ranked 90-110 ain't going to cut it.
    As the guys we have "official" commits from are getting ranked, their evaluations are actually quite good. Our per recruit average is the highest in the conference at the moment. We're still waiting on a couple to get evaluated. We also need to pick up more OL. We should be bringing in 5 every class, OL roster management since Fritz has been pretty bad and is the root of some of our issues right now.

Also remember we don't have staff spending as much time on updates and things like that as other schools. Not speaking ill of anyone, it's just what it is. It's a lot of work to keep up with things like some of the other programs.

There's currently 9 "official" on the board...I have no doubts there's more out there as well. This staff seems to like to play a lot of things close to the vest but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    As the guys we have "official" commits from are getting ranked, their evaluations are actually quite good. Our per recruit average is the highest in the conference at the moment. We're still waiting on a couple to get evaluated. We also need to pick up more OL. We should be bringing in 5 every class, OL roster management since Fritz has been pretty bad and is the root of some of our issues right now.

Also remember we don't have staff spending as much time on updates and things like that as other schools. Not speaking ill of anyone, it's just what it is. It's a lot of work to keep up with things like some of the other programs.

There's currently 9 "official" on the board...I have no doubts there's more out there as well. This staff seems to like to play a lot of things close to the vest but whatever.
    We recruit better than any team in the conference other than Ark State if you go by 247 rankings. Of course, I don't care what 247 ratings say, and you need only look at how App is doing for an example of how that doesn't work.

Either way, I don't think we have a quality problem as much as we have a quantity one. Tyson Summers brought more than his fair share of good players but didn't manage the quantities at certain positions very well at all. Willie Fritz should get some of the blame for not managing the QB recruiting well but almost all of our depth issues are on Summers

I like what we've recruited at OL. Verneal Henshaw punches over his weight and should be a good one if he bulks up some, and Javonte McGriff is apparently already able to push back some of our top defensive linemen and if he had a different body type he'd be playing tackle a good bit this season no question. I think we're on the right track in recruiting honestly. Keep in mind our staff has had only 1 full recruiting cycle.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 30th September 2019 at 01:40 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

No way. Everything is garbage!
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    We recruit better than any team in the conference other than Ark State if you go by 247 rankings. Of course, I don't care what 247 ratings say, and you need only look at how App is doing for an example of how that doesn't work.

Either way, I don't think we have a quality problem as much as we have a quantity one. Tyson Summers brought more than his fair share of good players but didn't manage the quantities at certain positions very well at all. Willie Fritz should get some of the blame for not managing the QB recruiting well but almost all of our depth issues are on Summers

I like what we've recruited at OL. Verneal Henshaw punches over his weight and should be a good one if he bulks up some, and Javonte McGriff is apparently already able to push back some of our top defensive linemen and if he had a different body type he'd be playing tackle a good bit this season no question. I think we're on the right track in recruiting honestly. Keep in mind our staff has had only 1 full recruiting cycle.
    And the last class that was two full cycles of offensive recruiting without any changes/disruptions was Monken's 2013 class.

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    And the last class that was two full cycles of offensive recruiting without any changes/disruptions was Monken's 2013 class.

Yep.
    I had to run through the years to make sure you were right, but you were. Coaching continuity matters.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I had to run through the years to make sure you were right, but you were. Coaching continuity matters.
    This is the biggest issue. I don't think the problems are X's and O's. Play calling probably reflects assessment of execution probability

Don't forget recruiting rankings are just how good these kids are coming out of high school. Not how good they're actually going to be by their senior year. Some schools who have lower recruiting rankings that out-perform normally do an excellent job of player development. Real FBS level strength, conditioning, nutrition...that makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    This is the biggest issue. I don't think the problems are X's and O's. Play calling probably reflects assessment of execution probability
    This is a very sage bit of advice. My take is last year we were good, and got a lot of lucky breaks to get to 10 wins. I believe the coaches have fully evaluated our current roster and are still in the keep it simple mode accordingly. I dont believe any of the coaches fall into the "...dont know what they're doing..." category.
    Last edited by eagle#58; 1st October 2019 at 04:38 PM.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

Another recruit got a ranking tonight: .8438

Average of known commits so far is .8323

Only one unranked commit.

Many of these were unranked when they committed.....I think we're doing ok in terms of identifying talent ahead of the recruiting services.