TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting

Default Re: Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    and Edwin Jackson, and most of the OL as well.
    You could even toss Matt Breida into that group during his redshirt year in 2014.
    Artist Formerly Known as ditka4prez

http://www.forgotten5.com

JJ, Eubanks, Ironhead, Edwin were all great football players and tackling machines. Better than anything we've had since we moved up and got all these stars IMO.

3. Default Re: Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Think what you will.

Just keep adding conditions if you wish. Because no one could ever go back and read what I actually wrote.

(And yes. I do stand by “regularly” and “turned.” You to find some guys from back on the day. Ask them. That’s about the only way you’re gonna find out who was offered what in 1987.)

Some folks just need to go full Luke Bryan.

(BTW.... Where did Tracy Ham come from? He wasn’t offered any P5 schools? I find that hard to imagine.)
    Tracy was recruited by Florida, FSU and Wisconsin as defensive back. He wanted to play offense so georgia southern is where he came.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sun...story,amp.html

No one added conditions. You have to compare apples to apples. Shai was never offered a scholarship by a P5 to play QB. Tracy wasn't either.

Do you listen to Inside Eagle Nation?

Go back to the preseason and listen to the Behind the Bios.

The guy they interviewed said he was offered UGA and chose GS.

That guy probably isn't lying.

I think people underestimate the level of excitement around the program in the late 80s. It was a big deal. (We were definitely getting more press than a place like UCF or even MTSU and Marshall. I mean, it is an incredible story. Imagine being a HS kid and having a man like Erk show up and offer you. (How did he ever snag Tracy Ham-for example?) Was he not on anyone's radar?? People act like Erk just sniffed out athletes no one had ever heard of. That's untrue.

Some people would rather be a part of something new than something stale.

The late 80s and most of the 90s weren't awesome for UGA. It was not a top-shelf program.

I'd recommend talking to some former players. Start with the guy on that podcast. Find him on FB, he'll tell you. He wasn't the only one.
    There’s some embellishment going on in this revisionist history. I started at GSC in the fall of 88. Prior to deciding to go there, I had no idea we won NC’s in 85 or 86. Then when we won in 89 / 90, we would get maybe a minute on Sportscenter. We were not really getting that much national coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    Tracy was recruited by Florida, FSU and Wisconsin as defensive back. He wanted to play offense so georgia southern is where he came.

No one added conditions. You have to compare apples to apples. Shai was never offered a scholarship by a P5 to play QB. Tracy wasn't either.
    That’s my understanding. Tracy was “recruited” by those programs, just as Shai was “recruited” by Clemson.

“Recruited” is an extremely vague term. It doesn’t always—or even usually—mean that a player held a committable offer as a HS senior.
    Last edited by pete4256; 5th October 2019 at 10:37 AM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

6. Default Re: Recruiting

They only guy that I can remember that stuck with us when uga came calling was Daryl Hopkins. Coach Russell made mention of it on many occasions. This idea that it was different back in Coach Russell's time is just not correct. Pretty much the same with GT.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    They only guy that I can remember that stuck with us when uga came calling was Daryl Hopkins. Coach Russell made mention of it on many occasions. This idea that it was different back in Coach Russell's time is just not correct. Pretty much the same with GT.
    My question about how the landscape has changed is this: did GSC face the same kind of competition for state-of-Georgia players from “distant” P5s and dozens of G5s that it does now?

Obviously, we weren’t ever going to head-to-head with SEC and ACC teams, but were we losing players to WVU, Minnesota, and Kansas St. back then?

These days, Georgia is crawling with recruiters from those teams, as well as from Tulane, USM, USF, UCF, FAU, WKU, et al.

Clearly, some of those teams didn’t exist in the 1980s. But what about Tulane, UAB, USM back then?

Indy, you’re one of the few posters who might have a sense of recruiting now vs then. Thoughts?
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post

I believe that Charles Bostick was in the same situation. Offers from P5s for defensive back but not QB. Came here because he wanted to play QB

9. Default Re: Recruiting

Read the thread again.

I made a simple statement and people added 5 or more conditions to try and make their original responses look less silly.
    I have and you still haven't named one player that we flipped. We have NEVER flipped players regularly nor am i aware of any that we flipped. And yes, i would say maybe he embellished a little bit. Flipped in recruiting generally refers to someone who is committed to a school and another school convinces him to change his commitment.

Former GSU commit, Tae Crowder with a scoop and score for UGA over Tenn. smh