TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opening The Playbook

Default Opening The Playbook

Wasn't the focus this past season opening up the playbook?

Can anybody who watches maybe more closely what if anything we have done any different? I haven't seen any speed sweeps, I haven't really seen any kind of misdirection. The only motion we do is moving a WR to a RB, setting, and then snapping the ball, so I don't count that as motion style plays.

Have we added any new wrinkles this year?

I do get that our o-line is weak, and we have to run the IZ, but what in terms of play design are we actually doing different?

Default Re: Opening The Playbook

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post

Can anybody who watches maybe more closely what if anything we have done any different? I haven't seen any speed sweeps, I haven't really seen any kind of misdirection. The only motion we do is moving a WR to a RB, setting, and then snapping the ball, so I don't count that as motion style plays.

I do get that our o-line is weak, and we have to run the IZ, but what in terms of play design are we actually doing different?
    I guess no one else caught that on the first drive alone, we ran a new formation with a personnel package we've never run before. We also ran a play out of the flex that we haven't run before.

We do different stuff quite a bit actually.

The problem is that we are still inconsistent in blocking, and when we do get good blocks we're still either missing blocks or backs aren't picking the right gap. We aren't putting the pieces together all at the same time. And when we go to pass the ball, we still have a QB that doesn't make the throw unless the WR is completely open.

The biggest change I'd like to see pretty much immediately is to get rid of huddling. It's non value added and it needs to go. The Cajuns absolutely murdered us on the first drive by making formation shifts that caused our defense to be extremely mismatched. And they did it by moving between snaps quickly. The rules are there in favor of things like that one the offensive side of the ball, but we're huddling up like this is the 80s. I understood why we did it last year, and I thought it was a good thing, but we need to get away from it. We can still drain the clock, but we need everyone getting calls from the sideline and we need to have more time to make adjustments if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I guess no one else caught that on the first drive alone, we ran a new formation with a personnel package we've never run before. We also ran a play out of the flex that we haven't run before.

We do different stuff quite a bit actually.

The problem is that we are still inconsistent in blocking, and when we do get good blocks we're still either missing blocks or backs aren't picking the right gap. We aren't putting the pieces together all at the same time. And when we go to pass the ball, we still have a QB that doesn't make the throw unless the WR is completely open.

The biggest change I'd like to see pretty much immediately is to get rid of huddling. It's non value added and it needs to go. The Cajuns absolutely murdered us on the first drive by making formation shifts that caused our defense to be extremely mismatched. And they did it by moving between snaps quickly. The rules are there in favor of things like that one the offensive side of the ball, but we're huddling up like this is the 80s. I understood why we did it last year, and I thought it was a good thing, but we need to get away from it. We can still drain the clock, but we need everyone getting calls from the sideline and we need to have more time to make adjustments if needed.
    I saw the flex play, but didn't really notice some of the other wrinkles. That's why I asked. This wasn't meant as a bashing type of thread, and as mentioned, I know that blocking is our number 1 issue, regardless of what plays or formations we run.

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post

We are doing something different from last year.

We're being more simplistic this season than last season.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Whats crazy is that we completed maybe 2 passes the entire game prior to our 5 consecutive passes on our last drive.

6. Default Re: Opening The Playbook

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    We are doing something different from last year.

We're being more simplistic this season than last season.
    Yep.

7. Default Re: Opening The Playbook

Quote Originally Posted by acm85 View Post
    Whats crazy is that we completed maybe 2 passes the entire game prior to our 5 consecutive passes on our last drive.
    Any OC with any sense would capitalize on that at least two series per game. Those passes we beautiful, nasty, precisely what we need to do more frequently. I’d much rather see us risk an interception or two that just get stuffed and punt over and over. Take some shots, do some stuff with misdirection, give defenses something to think about

Theres nothing wrong with marching down the field quickly. It’s like it’s some kind of war crime to some folks.

It seems to me that we are running basically the same play out of several different formations.

I think we need to focus on proper execution of core base plays before we talk about opening up the playbook.

10. Default Re: Opening The Playbook

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    It seems to me that we are running basically the same play out of several different formations.
    We run two or three plays out of those formations, but it’s hard to tell, because usually the defense is jumping all over our QB before he can take 5 steps