TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Score + Attendance Prediction Thread

Default Re: Louisiana Score + Attendance Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    What's the alternative to "assignment football"? Every defender just ad libbing it and doing whatever they feel is right at a particular time?

Or is it "11 angry men running to the ball"?
    Everybody always has an 'assignment' on defense against any offense - at least at the start of the play. But most times, once the play develops, everyone's assignment generally becomes "take a proper pursuit angle and tackle the guy with the ball".
    I think the emphasis on calling the defense of the TO 'assignment football' is based on coaching the defenders to stay with their initial assignment beyond the limits of football instinct -- even when it feels like that assignment is pulling them out of the play, and to trust the guys with the other assignments to make the play. If your assignment is the pitch man, it's counter intuitive to force yourself to run -- away in some cases, from the QB who's 6 feet away from you who actually has the ball. For a large part of the play, instead of "tackle the guy with the ball" it's "forget who has the ball and tackle your assignment". That's a hard adjustment to make. An analogue would be to require a cornerback to hold tight coverage 80+ yards downfield or to continue pass coverage once a QB has scrambled 10 yards downfield.

I know you know all this, but I think that's why they beat that terminology to death.
    Sincerely,
    Irwin M. Fletcher

P.S.: Have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Everybody always has an 'assignment' on defense against any offense - at least at the start of the play. But most times, once the play develops, everyone's assignment generally becomes "take a proper pursuit angle and tackle the guy with the ball".
    I think the emphasis on calling the defense of the TO 'assignment football' is based on coaching the defenders to stay with their initial assignment beyond the limits of football instinct -- even when it feels like that assignment is pulling them out of the play, and to trust the guys with the other assignments to make the play. If your assignment is the pitch man, it's counter intuitive to force yourself to run -- away in some cases, from the QB who's 6 feet away from you who actually has the ball. For a large part of the play, instead of "tackle the guy with the ball" it's "forget who has the ball and tackle your assignment". That's a hard adjustment to make. An analogue would be to require a cornerback to hold tight coverage 80+ yards downfield or to continue pass coverage once a QB has scrambled 10 yards downfield.

I know you know all this, but I think that's why they beat that terminology to death.
    Right, but I don't know what about an option offense could cause a defender to go into "stop what you're doing and go after the guy with the ball" mode prematurely.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

**Looks directly at the camera like a deer in the headlights** "Certainly, you want to play your brand of football. You sit there and want to make them make mistakes, while playing mistake free ball. Certainly you want to be able to shut down the run and make them one dimensional in the throw game. Then you can be physical and have 11 men attacking the football. If we do that and score more points than them, we certainly have a chance to sit there and come out with a win at the end of the day."
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Indeed, pete, and don't forget that these triple option teams really like to chew up the clock. But pete, don't teams that depend on this type of offense have a hard time when they find themselves in 3rd-and-long type situations, or when they need to score points quickly, like playing from behind late in the game? That's what my notes say here . . .

At any rate, I'm sure Georgia State would prefer to avoid either of those scenarios this afternoon. We'll see how that works out for the Golden Eagles at Paulson Field beginning in just a few moments.
    You’re absolutely right, GATAlac. It’s not a come-from-behind offense.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

5. Default Re: Louisiana Score + Attendance Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    It can be.

if Werts and Kennedy play.
    He didn’t mean that literally. Hopefully neither did you.

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    **Looks directly at the camera like a deer in the headlights** "Certainly, you want to play your brand of football. You sit there and want to make them make mistakes, while playing mistake free ball. Certainly you want to be able to shut down the run and make them one dimensional in the throw game. Then you can be physical and have 11 men attacking the football. If we do that and score more points than them, we certainly have a chance to sit there and come out with a win at the end of the day."
    Is this what PTSD feels like

7. Default Re: Louisiana Score + Attendance Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Is this what PTSD feels like
    Post Tyson Summers Disorder?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    If you had used the word box count I would probably have started shaking.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEYES View Post
    I think it will be all about the points
    IF we can eek out even 1 more than them, then I like our chances
    Us 24
    Them 23

Ba$$ does it again!

#KickingBa$$

** Also, my wife and brother-in-law bought tickets + my Uncle (season ticket holder) is bringing his son who recently graduated from basic training from the Naval station at Great Lakes. Just to show how dedicated Eagle Nation is, my Uncle drove yesterday from Kingsland, GA to Charleston, SC to pick him up and will drive to Statesboro to bring him to the game and then drive back to Charleston after the game and then drive back to Kingsland tomorrow!

#DedicatedEagle

I was looking at the thread Talon started on their board a few minutes ago. I hope we blow them out of the water. They might have the most arrogant fans in the conference.