TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 91

Thread: This game should put to bed the notion...

  1. #71

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    Let's not kid ourselves. Without two once in a season plays that game is a 3 TD loss.

    The defense was absolutely gassed by the time they gave up 3rd and 29 (which was the deciding sequence in the loss), and with little wonder. GS ran 42 offensive plays the entire game. Minnesota ran 47 offensive plays in the second half. GS had just 5 yards rushing in the second half and -12 rushing in the 4th quarter. GS was outgained and out possessed by almost 2-1 margins.

    Minnesota is likely a .500 or slightly less team in the Big 10, not some juggernaut. To fail to get 200 yards total offense against a team like that is an abject failure, regardless of the QB situation. As a matter of perspective, Northwestern State passed for over 200 yards against LSU Saturday night.

    On a brighter note, the SunBelt doesn't look so good itself, so all is hardly lost, but that was a bad loss Saturday just like the LSU game was a bad loss (for failing to compete). My gut tells me that the team last year greatly benefitted from a historic turnover margin and some really good breaks, like App losing their QB on the 3rd play of the game, winning the Ark State game on a reverse in the final 30 seconds, and kicking a FG on the last play to win the bowl game. Perhaps there is some regression this year. Gotta remember where this program was 2 years ago and assess the talent level accordingly.

    Regardless, that is over and time to FIDO.
    In other words, if you take away their major mistakes without taking away ours, we wouldn't have competed.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

    Regarding football Scheduling.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    8,995

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    First of all, chill.

    Second of all, Ole Miss next year is ABSOLUTELY winnable. We should have won that game in 2016 as well if we didn't have one of the worst HC hires in history. Arkansas is a winnable game. Even Wisconsin and Nebraska are. It's obvious you're not paying attention to our future schedules.

    Third of all, the defense played a damn good game. Yes there were missed tackles that need to be addressed. 5 sacks and 11 TFLs is a performance we don't typically see. Yes the coverage decision on 3rd down was a bad one, but it doesn't mean the defensive staff are idiots. We had 2 miracle plays go in our favor to take the lead, so the sword cuts both ways if you want to go down that road.

    Fourth, offensive playcalling has not fallen off a cliff. It's actually really good. I rewatched the first drive last night and counted at least one missed/poor block by the OL in each play. The TD on the play after the INT wasn't blocked necessarily well either, but Wright was able to squeeze through the line and break some tackles. We can't count on that happening all the time. Our OL performance is a function of the dysfunction induced into our roster from bad hiring decisions in Dec 2015 and propagating forward. OL problems are not something you fix in one year, or really even two. It's going to take time to fix the problems we have.

    Lunsford gets it. Fortunately for us he's also able to measure his responses in public unlike some people out here.

    Yes we're all upset. Yes there are problems. Yes there are mistakes being made that need to be corrected. However people also need to calm the hell down. Ranting and raving really accomplishes nothing but getting everyone spun up.
    Don't forget that there were about 4 times that I remember a shoe-string, dive at our feet tackle that MN made that had they not made them would have all been big gainers. I'm not playing a "what if" game, just saying we are a lot closer than some of you will admit.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    8,995

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    Let's not kid ourselves. Without two once in a season plays that game is a 3 TD loss.

    The defense was absolutely gassed by the time they gave up 3rd and 29 (which was the deciding sequence in the loss), and with little wonder. GS ran 42 offensive plays the entire game. Minnesota ran 47 offensive plays in the second half. GS had just 5 yards rushing in the second half and -12 rushing in the 4th quarter. GS was outgained and out possessed by almost 2-1 margins.

    Minnesota is likely a .500 or slightly less team in the Big 10, not some juggernaut. To fail to get 200 yards total offense against a team like that is an abject failure, regardless of the QB situation. As a matter of perspective, Northwestern State passed for over 200 yards against LSU Saturday night.

    On a brighter note, the SunBelt doesn't look so good itself, so all is hardly lost, but that was a bad loss Saturday just like the LSU game was a bad loss (for failing to compete). My gut tells me that the team last year greatly benefitted from a historic turnover margin and some really good breaks, like App losing their QB on the 3rd play of the game, winning the Ark State game on a reverse in the final 30 seconds, and kicking a FG on the last play to win the bowl game. Perhaps there is some regression this year. Gotta remember where this program was 2 years ago and assess the talent level accordingly.

    Regardless, that is over and time to FIDO.
    They also had a couple lucky big plays that went their way as well. Don't forget their first TD was a 70 whatever yard slant where our two safeties basically tripped over each other as the WR ran between them. We also had, something crazy like three offensive plays in the 3rd quarter? Or whatever it was.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

  4. #74

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Don't forget that there were about 4 times that I remember a shoe-string, dive at our feet tackle that MN made that had they not made them would have all been big gainers. I'm not playing a "what if" game, just saying we are a lot closer than some of you will admit.
    Exactly. The post by eaglewraith + what you mentioned is why I think, after a bye week, we will be ready and able to beat Louisiana.

  5. #75

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    or the coach after that, or the following one or maybe the one after .......someday we will be the second G5 program to achieve perfection like UCF.
    And, then, if that happens, you lose your coach. Guaranteed.

  6. Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglemark View Post
    Exactly. The post by eaglewraith + what you mentioned is why I think, after a bye week, we will be ready and able to beat Louisiana.
    Does anyone know whether Kennedy will be back?

    I don’t know whether that suspension was really 4 games or 4 weeks.

  7. #77

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Does anyone know whether Kennedy will be back?

    I don’t know whether that suspension was really 4 games or 4 weeks.
    Denied. He’ll miss the ULL game.

  8. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    27,940

    Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Does anyone know whether Kennedy will be back?

    I don’t know whether that suspension was really 4 games or 4 weeks.
    NCAA always counts games, weeks don't matter.

    It's the same reason why a targeting suspension in a bowl game carries over to the next season.


  9. Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    About the only issue I have with play calling is a lack of any up tempo stuff. Several times against Minnesota, I felt like we could have gotten back to the line and run a play immediately and been able to take advantage of them... even if we simply ran the same play again. I understand we want to control the clock and limit the other team's offensive possessions... but you also have to take advantage when you can and quick snapping can help.
    Thats an excellent point.

    I think having a solid up tempo capability would be good.

    (Although we have tried it a few times and It always seemed to go poorly.)

  10. Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    NCAA always counts games, weeks don't matter.

    It's the same reason why a targeting suspension in a bowl game carries over to the next season.
    Damn.

    I sure miss that guy.

    He is just so good at so many things.

    I hope we get him whatever academic help he needs. I hope no one gets academically suspended again. I have always had a tough time understanding how that happens. Staff should be tracking these guys and getting them whatever support they need long before this ever is an issue.

Similar Threads

  1. Testing the notion of "turnover luck"
    By BillyBob in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st July 2019, 01:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •