TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: This game should put to bed the notion...

Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

198-205 offensive yard production(which ever one it was), is pretty poor, that certainly has to improve and this offense HAS to get more consistent.

2. Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

We also have to remember that we are on Coach #3 Since moving to FBS. Our recruiting was certainly impacted by this which creates depth issues. Our defense was gassed coming down the stretch and our d coordinator didnít help us out with the calls on their last TD drive. Penalties, no offense in the 2nd half and turnovers cost us the game. I am sick to my stomach about the loss but we were in the game with a backup QB (who is a future star). There is much work to do and all of our goals are in front of us - the belt and a bowl game. GATA

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    I keep running this thought through my head. NC St. GT, UGA, Ole Miss, Minnesota. Where would the program be right now if we had won a few of those?
    On the flip side, what if Floridaís final drive ends in a TD and we lose that game just like Minnesota? Half pointed it out on another thread but itís incredible to think that we have taken 5 P5 teams to the wire over the past 6 years and that 4 out of those 5 didnít go our way- and thatís across multiple head coaches, coaching staffs, players. We can all think of a few plays that could have gone differently in every single one of those games where we could have been 5-0 but thatís not how it happened.

What if we don't do what we did in the '85 NC? Maybe we're playing Valdosta and West GA in D2 today. We can what if all day long, but when we have these games served up to us on a silver platter we need to take advantage. Winning these games could've truly taken us from good to great in FBS and set us on a path like we had in FCS but we've squandered every opportunity. I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water, but it's frustrating as hell knowing where we could be right now.

Stanley Goodspeed: Iíll do my best.
    John Mason: Your ďbestĒ! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.

5. Default Re: This game should put to bed the notion...

Quote Originally Posted by Army Eagle View Post
    What if we don't do what we did in the '85 NC? Maybe we're playing Valdosta and West GA in D2 today. We can what if all day long, but when we have these games served up to us on a silver platter we need to take advantage. Winning these games could've truly taken us from good to great in FBS and set us on a path like we had in FCS but we've squandered every opportunity. I'm not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water, but it's frustrating as hell knowing where we could be right now.
    It will happen eventually.

Damned well should have happened yesterday.

That loss was poor coaching. Straight up. And I want to see us FIX that part. There is no excuse for the too many people on the field, the guy on the sideline, or any of the anemic playcalling.

These players absolutely played their hearts out. Coaches did not come prepared. That too many players stuff TWICE is inexcusable! Whomever had the job of getting that stuff done properly needs to be shown the door.

We need to stop hearing platitudes and slogans and start seeing action. And it starts with the coaches looking in the mirror and being very honest about exactly how they handed this one away.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    198-205 offensive yard production(which ever one it was), is pretty poor, that certainly has to improve and this offense HAS to get more consistent.
    garns 4, if we're gonna continue to run our O scheme out of a shotgun or pistol formation a receiver that catches passes for positive yardage against linebacker or safety coverage is mandatory, imho. Call that receiver whatever you want, a TE, an H back, a slot, a wing back, a half back, an A back, a B back, a full back, whatever.

We've needed this element ever since we came out from under center when Coach Monken left. I can't believe how it hasn't been addressed even with this coaching staff. Plays have to be in the playbook. Personnel has to be recruited. Quarterbacks that get rid of the ball on time throwing receivers open. Receivers that beat coverage and go catch the ball. This should have been started under Fritz. Evidently it wasn't. Summers must not have known enough about offensive football to demand that it was taken care of. This staff has got to take care of it now or we're gonna continue to have to play against red zone defensive schemes every offensive play we run and I can't expect to see good things coming the rest of the season for our offensive production.

Ya gotta be able to run the ball effectively to beat good defensive teams, but ya gotta be able to hurt those defenses with the pass to loosen things up for the run game to work. All of our really good O units of the past hurt defenses with the pass. And we scored a lot of touchdowns with those O units as evidenced by those banners we're able to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by GIEAGLE View Post
    garns 4, if we're gonna continue to run our O scheme out of a shotgun or pistol formation a receiver that catches passes for positive yardage against linebacker or safety coverage is mandatory, imho. Call that receiver whatever you want, a TE, an H back, a slot, a wing back, a half back, an A back, a B back, a full back, whatever.

We've needed this element ever since we came out from under center when Coach Monken left. I can't believe how it hasn't been addressed even with this coaching staff. Plays have to be in the playbook. Personnel has to be recruited. Quarterbacks that get rid of the ball on time throwing receivers open. Receivers that beat coverage and go catch the ball. This should have been started under Fritz. Evidently it wasn't. Summers must not have known enough about offensive football to demand that it was taken care of. This staff has got to take care of it now or we're gonna continue to have to play against red zone defensive schemes every offensive play we run and I can't expect to see good things coming the rest of the season for our offensive production.

Ya gotta be able to run the ball effectively to beat good defensive teams, but ya gotta be able to hurt those defenses with the pass to loosen things up for the run game to work. All of our really good O units of the past hurt defenses with the pass. And we scored a lot of touchdowns with those O units as evidenced by those banners we're able to fly.
    I went back and watched the NC state game on YouTube (thank klak) and we threw lots of quick short 5 to 7 yard passes early and this might have softened the defense but who knows. But they were 7 yard turn arounds and it was quick and got the job done. We run a bazillion iz plays then punt start of every game no matter what.
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

It should put the notion to bed, but I'm sure the same type of 42-7 predictions will be coming next year against Ole Miss.
    NO, you must combine the triple option ground attack with a QB that can hit 55% of his passes with backs that can catch a ball. If a triple option team can make 130-150 yards + on 15 passes that treat would open up the rushing game to the point that GSU should be able to rush the ball for 380 yards per game and allow us to score 38+ per game. The triple option is still the most potent ground game devised.

We have done that before. the big problem is getting an option QB that can do that. The recovers dont have to be A+ if the QB has the touch.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    It honestly is pretty incredible that we have played 5 one score games against P5ís opponents in the past 6 years and we are 1-4. All 4 losses we have had the lead or been tied with under 2 minutes to play.
    PARTY ON HALF!
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

I keep running this thought through my head. NC St. GT, UGA, Ole Miss, Minnesota. Where would the program be right now if we had won a few of those?
    We would be one of the most feared G5 teams in the nation. But that is already the case, look at who we are able to schedule and you will see it. There are not many Minnesota games left out there for us, we need to win the ones we can. Getting close against a lower P5 can't be good enough, because we are not quite to the level of knocking off those top P5 teams yet.

I am more frustrated by all the close misses than I should be I guess, but I have seen the Braves and Falcons and Hawks and Georgia and Tech all get close and fail so many times I do not want us to EVER get used to losing those games. All of those teams got used to it, and it was hard to get out of that, some never have.

When you look at the athletes Minnesota had and compare them to our guys there is not that much difference. Yeah one guy might be a little better, but that was not the case with LSU. They were better across the board. Several of our current players would start for the Gophers if they were to swap teams. Other than Bass no one on our team would start for LSU and even Bass would have a hard time knocking off the Tigers kicker.

That is where the coaching comes in, many of us got spoiled with Erk and Paul, because if you were playing either of those guys you knew they could beat you with theirs, but they might beat theirs with yours, that is not the case right now with the Eagles coaching staff.

My point in all this is should we look back on those close games and be proud of our guys, sure we should, it is human nature. But in many of these games this is no longer David vs Goliath, this is not even Boise State vs Oklahoma, these games that are winnable need to be won, because that is how you lure better players to come to your school. Yesterday Minnesota had 12 guys from Georgia on their team. Every team we have played in the last 30 years has had guys from Georgia and Florida on the team. We are not going to lure players away from Georgia, Florida, Florida State and Miami, but we need to get to the point where we are their next choice after those schools.
    The only way to do that is to win some of these games. Winning the Sunbelt 10 straight years and winning 8 of 10 bowl games might get us one or two of those guys in 10 years, but you start knocking off some of those bigger schools they start looking at you.

We have come a long way, no doubt, but that can't be good enough. You get better by winning those kinds of games, and to win those games you have to play hard, you have to make plays, and you can't have stupid mistakes, but then you have to be able to make a plan to set your guys up to make one or two plays on both sides of the ball that make a difference in the game.

Saturday we got the effort from the players. We have gotten the effort from the players multiple times dating back to the East Carolina games, but with one exception we have never done enough at all levels to put us over the hump. The coaches had a bad day yesterday, and have honestly had a bad year so far. It is time to fix these problems because there are at least two other teams in the Sunbelt that are better than Minnesota. We could still have a good year, we are close, but just as easily we could end up with 3 to 5 wins and wonder what happened to another year.

We need to get these mistakes fixed now, because at this point our mulligans are over, and a 3 to 5 win season would need to be met with some major changes.