TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: After the game thoughts

1. Default Re: After the game thoughts

The kids came to play but undoubtedly a depressing outcome from a fan perspective. Looking back on the way this game ended (along with NC State, GT and UGA) it is emotionally exhausting and depressing. I mean, how many other G5’s have been that close, that many times and choked?

A Minnesota fan came to our board and “congratulated” us and said “good things are coming for us.” I hate to hear that from the opposition, he meant well but IMO that should only happen after win, not a “moral victory,” but unfortunately that’s the position we’ve put program in- we (sometimes) put up a good fight.

It is difficult for me to be down on our defense after yesterday’s gutsy performance, but man we just cannot let anybody convert on 3rd&29 or let a non-dual threat QB rush for a 1st on 3rd&15 in such a close game. We need to progress as a program to figuring out how to get the win against the Minnesota’s, not the Maine’s (that should be automatic).

Default Re: After the game thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    The kids came to play but undoubtedly a depressing outcome from a fan perspective. Looking back on the way this game ended (along with NC State, GT and UGA) it is emotionally exhausting and depressing. I mean, how many other G5’s have been that close, that many times and choked?

A Minnesota fan came to our board and “congratulated” us and said “good things are coming for us.” I hate to hear that from the opposition, he meant well but IMO that should only happen after win, not a “moral victory,” but unfortunately that’s the position we’ve put program in- we (sometimes) put up a good fight.

It is difficult for me to be down on our defense after yesterday’s gutsy performance, but man we just cannot let anybody convert on 3rd&29 or let a non-dual threat QB rush for a 1st on 3rd&15 in such a close game. We need to progress as a program to figuring out how to get the win against the Minnesota’s, not the Maine’s (that should be automatic).
    yep, +1. Another "would have, could have" P5 games. I'm still pulling for everyone but this one was highly frustrating. Again, we HAD them.

Our offense is averaging just under 16 points per game. That’s unacceptable.

So, Minnesota gave us that game per many in this board. Had nothing to do with gutsy plays by Byrd or Wright on the sack and scoop or by Ellis and Brinson and a host of blockers like Duncan on the pancake to pave the way. When you discount what our kids took as a gift from UM you become a critic instead of a fan. Part of our poor offense in the second half goes on our defense not getting off the field. When there is only 3 possessions in the 3rd quarter and the other team had 2 of them there won’t be any offense. And, when there is a blocked FG for a score and a defensive scoop and score there won’t be any offense. Eagle fans can you come back to reality. Heck yea we had the game won but their guys stepped up and made plays from a deep hole. The catch at the end was very athletic and shows why that kid is one of the best in the Big10. I’m impressed with our D at every position but one and the coaches need to find a player there or our pass d will continue to get exploited. Our offense looked better and Werts and WK3 will make a difference. 2 weeks will be fun. UL is good, but so are we!

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    So, Minnesota gave us that game per many in this board. Had nothing to do with gutsy plays by Byrd or Wright on the sack and scoop or by Ellis and Brinson and a host of blockers like Duncan on the pancake to pave the way. When you discount what our kids took as a gift from UM you become a critic instead of a fan. Part of our poor offense in the second half goes on our defense not getting off the field. When there is only 3 possessions in the 3rd quarter and the other team had 2 of them there won’t be any offense. And, when there is a blocked FG for a score and a defensive scoop and score there won’t be any offense. Eagle fans can you come back to reality. Heck yea we had the game won but their guys stepped up and made plays from a deep hole. The catch at the end was very athletic and shows why that kid is one of the best in the Big10. I’m impressed with our D at every position but one and the coaches need to find a player there or our pass d will continue to get exploited. Our offense looked better and Werts and WK3 will make a difference. 2 weeks will be fun. UL is good, but so are we!
    +1, at times the kids looked good but Minn. last game winning TD drive with NO timeouts, going the length of the field to beat us, I'm sorry that was a very bitter pill to swallow. We will see in two weeks if there is improvement in defensive secondary tackling and more offensive production. Sky aint falling just cloudy.

6. Default Re: After the game thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    Exactly! I was as upset as any GS fan when we lost. I believe we should have won and I am sick of just coming close in these games. But it is refreshing to have a head coach that believes and says the same thing....he just said that a recently about being tired of “coming close”. For those feeling like Minn was trying give us the game, you are discounting the athletic abilities, desire, and yes, the coaching of our players. It takes all of those components to make the plays they made to be in the position they were in. To feel that we are just being “given” these opportunities is just furthering one of the long lingering problems this fan base has.....some ingrained feeling that we have to play over our heads in these games to complete or that the P5 has to have an off game or overlook us. I mean how many more times do you have to see us compete against these teams to believe we are “there” with competing against at least mid level P5? You are just playing into the NCAA and P5 conferences hands by continuing this narrative. The gap has narrowed and will continue to do so with most of the teams (excluding 8 - 10 like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc...).
    So how about starting to act and speak like we belong in these games and on the largest stage of college football because that’s where we are and if we don’t believe it as GS fans, who will?

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    Exactly! I was as upset as any GS fan when we lost. I believe we should have won and I am sick of just coming close in these games. But it is refreshing to have a head coach that believes and says the same thing....he just said that a recently about being tired of “coming close”. For those feeling like Minn was trying give us the game, you are discounting the athletic abilities, desire, and yes, the coaching of our players. It takes all of those components to make the plays they made to be in the position they were in. To feel that we are just being “given” these opportunities is just furthering one of the long lingering problems this fan base has.....some ingrained feeling that we have to play over our heads in these games to complete or that the P5 has to have an off game or overlook us. I mean how many more times do you have to see us compete against these teams to believe we are “there” with competing against at least mid level P5? You are just playing into the NCAA and P5 conferences hands by continuing this narrative. The gap has narrowed and will continue to do so with most of the teams (excluding 8 - 10 like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc...).
    So how about starting to act and speak like we belong in these games and on the largest stage of college football because that’s where we are and if we don’t believe it as GS fans, who will?
    We don't need to compete. We need to WIN! There is no participation trophy for competing. The gap isn't closing until we start winning these games. You want to be in the "peer" conversation, then we need to win these games like Boise State and UCF do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    We don't need to compete. We need to WIN! There is no participation trophy for competing. The gap isn't closing until we start winning these games. You want to be in the "peer" conversation, then we need to win these games like Boise State and UCF do.
    Step 1: Count to 12
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

Everyone gets that. That's why it becomes increasingly frustrating to not get over the top in these games. The point is that we have fans who buy into this nonsense that we're going to get blown out against P5 teams because of some false perception that we don't belong on the field with them.

10. Default Re: After the game thoughts

Damned straight!