TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: After the game thoughts

1. Default Re: After the game thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Because games against college football's 5 or 6 playoff contenders are outliers. When you have a dataset of 3 games, that outlier weighs heavily.

vs LSU: 1.96 ypp
    vs Maine: 7.51 ypp
    vs Minn: 4.71 ypp

In 2018 we had 6 games over 7 yards per play. Clemson was 2.69.
    Yeah, I kind of get it for 2019, for now, due to the sample size, but not so much for a full 2018 season. I mean, pulling out stats against Clemson and measuring ourselves against everyone else, including 10 or so other programs that played Clemson (or Alabama, Oklahoma, etc.) hardly seems like a fair comparison.

2. Default Re: After the game thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post
    Step 1: Count to 12
    Oh they made it to 12 a couple of times. It’s 11 that they need to get right.

Default Re: After the game thoughts

Whatever the case what we're seeing are glimpses of potential. Reminds me of CTS's first year or Hatchers first three years. Count me in the nervous column. This offense is waay too vanilla and undisciplined or maybe too tight. Linemen seem to be nearsighted with little vision down field. Why is the question. Are we that slow? Is the perimeter just not attainable with the current roster? I'm confident Debesse has more than this. I'll be shocked if we don't see significant change in conference play and crushed if we don't. They're number one priority is to win the conference not every game. Right? Holding on to hope that this is the case.
    Last edited by EaglesFlyFBS; 15th September 2019 at 06:35 PM.

4. Default Re: After the game thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Yeah, I kind of get it for 2019, for now, due to the sample size, but not so much for a full 2018 season. I mean, pulling out stats against Clemson and measuring ourselves against everyone else, including 10 or so other programs that played Clemson (or Alabama, Oklahoma, etc.) hardly seems like a fair comparison.
    Agreed. So 2018 finished ranked #53 after ranking #122 the previous year.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Everyone gets that. That's why it becomes increasingly frustrating to not get over the top in these games. The point is that we have fans who buy into this nonsense that we're going to get blown out against P5 teams because of some false perception that we don't belong on the field with them.
    I dont think our fans think we cant compete with p5s. For me, I feel a lot of you have gotten blinded by the 201r and 2015 season and think this shotgun offense is the second coming. It is not and the majority of the g5s run it and that means most defenses see it and can defend it. Through 2013 I truly believed we would beat anyone and that included bama in 2011. Now, I hadno idea if we would beat Maine last week or if we will beat ull. I knew that unless we fumbled 3 or 4 times we would win, now all I know is Bass will make his kicks.
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by gsusae View Post
    I was at the Quicklane Bowl and watched how Minnesota walked up and down the field against Tech. I hate we lost because our rivals have won some over P5 teams but don’t over analyze the loss. Yes we do have things to work on but I think we have a great run ahead of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    While I agree with you that we can have a great run ahead and win the sunbelt, it's still us winning the shi$iest conference. Yes we will take it bc that is the conference we are in right now but we as lifelong fans are tired of losing these p5 games.
    Because the Gophers beat GT badly they thought they knew how to stop any Option team. They had very large offensive and defensive lines. As far as loosing to P5 teams our first 2 years under Fritz we took GT, NC and Georgia to the brink. AS far as 2016-17 you have to let those years go. Please remember playing top 10 FBS teams will push most lower ranked P5 teams to their limit. I think Clemson and LSU would have beaten the Gophers as badly as they beat GSU. You have to remember that this is the second year come back after 2016 -17.

GSU now has 2 weeks to refine the offensive and defensive play. I think we have a good chance of winning 8 Sun Belt games!
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    Because the Gophers beat GT badly they thought they knew how to stop any Option team. They had very large offensive and defensive lines. As far as loosing to P5 teams our first 2 years under Fritz we took GT, NC and Georgia to the brink. AS far as 2016-17 you have to let those years go. Please remember playing top 10 FBS teams will push most lower ranked P5 teams to their limit. I think Clemson and LSU would have beaten the Gophers as badly as they beat GSU. You have to remember that this is the second year come back after 2016 -17.

GSU now has 2 weeks to refine the offensive and defensive play. I think we have a good chance of winning 8 Sun Belt games!
    GATA. We will know how we stand as far as the Sunbelt two weeks from today.

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post

I agree with you talon and I do feel we can win the sunbelt. We are about to go on a run....I hope
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeye View Post
    Exactly! I was as upset as any GS fan when we lost. I believe we should have won and I am sick of just coming close in these games. But it is refreshing to have a head coach that believes and says the same thing....he just said that a recently about being tired of “coming close”. For those feeling like Minn was trying give us the game, you are discounting the athletic abilities, desire, and yes, the coaching of our players. It takes all of those components to make the plays they made to be in the position they were in. To feel that we are just being “given” these opportunities is just furthering one of the long lingering problems this fan base has.....some ingrained feeling that we have to play over our heads in these games to complete or that the P5 has to have an off game or overlook us. I mean how many more times do you have to see us compete against these teams to believe we are “there” with competing against at least mid level P5? You are just playing into the NCAA and P5 conferences hands by continuing this narrative. The gap has narrowed and will continue to do so with most of the teams (excluding 8 - 10 like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc...).
    So how about starting to act and speak like we belong in these games and on the largest stage of college football because that’s where we are and if we don’t believe it as GS fans, who will?
    +1

10. Default Re: After the game thoughts

^^^^ probably the best post I’ve seen