TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Old conference mates......

Default Re: Old conference mates......

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Oddly, I like PJ... a lot, he is my favorite GS HC, but defining his tenure at GT as 'great' is simply ridiculous.

I say 'oddly' because I do not care for Fritz or Monken, at all. They willingly left our program because they wanted to, before they finished the job. Bitter? Yeah probably, I admit it, but I reserve that right as an alumni. If/when I pull for their success it is only because they have success at GS on their resume, and not selfishly because I like or dislike their offensive scheme (IMO that's just a special kind of stupid). I am a huge fan of PJ, I realize he also willingly left, but from my perspective he did his time and certainly finished the job. So, don't act like you know me.

Yeah, I pointed out his successful 2014, and GT has some limitations, but they also won a NC in the modern era. PJ did well there, but I'll never think he did 'great.'
    How would you characterize his tenure at Navy?
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Tim Landis, who took the flex to Bucknell and hired Thomson, was previously head coach at Davidson College and at St. Mary’s (California).

I have no idea where he picked it up, but there are (or were) a good number of non-PJ versions of the flexbone. Tons of former wishbone coaches adopted the flex in the ‘80s, from Fisher DeBerry and Ken Hatfield to Mike Ayers.

The current Citadel offense looks more like PJ’s “spread option” than most of the wishbone derivatives, though.
    JU coach Ian Shields was the OC at Cal-Poly and Army under Rich Ellerson. JU’s OC is former Army QB Trent Steelman, if y’all remember him.

Coincidentally, Shields replaced Mike Houston at Lenoir-Rhine for a couple of years before Jacksonville hired him.
    Pete knows his flexbone history.

On a side note, pete, have you watched any of Furman under Clay Hendrix? What does his offense look like?
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

3. Default Re: Old conference mates......

I really hope we are not getting complacent after a 3rd place finish in the SBC and a walk-off FG against EMU.
    Something happened in the off-season. I sure hope that ain’t it.

I was expecting us to come out firing on most cylinders, playing at least as clean as last season. And boy howdy we did not see that.

4. Default Re: Old conference mates......

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    How would you characterize his tenure at Navy?
    Very good to great, he took a program that had like 2-3 winning seasons in 20 years and completely flipped it. IIRC, even ranked one year.

Very good to great, he took a program that had like 2-3 winning seasons in 20 years and completely flipped it. IIRC, even ranked one year.
    And won the CIC trophy for the first time for Navy in how many years? And won several times if I am not mistaken.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Pete knows his flexbone history.

On a side note, pete, have you watched any of Furman under Clay Hendrix? What does his offense look like?
    Yeah, me and Google know a good bit between the two of us.

I watched Furman his first season. They were bouncing between the flex and the I quite a bit.

I don’t know whether they’ve built on that and become more multiple as he’s gotten further into his tenure there.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

I really hope we are not getting complacent after a 3rd place finish in the SBC and a walk-off FG against EMU.
    We're still talking about 18-22 year olds. It's easy to get swept up in the 10 wins and think they know what they're doing.

And by complacent, it can be just not putting the same attention to detail they did the previous year to get where they were. You can still be good, but you'll make more mistakes. I also don't mean something like loafing around not doing anything....the line between average, good, and great can be very narrow.

It’s quite likely that the team bought into the “GTG” mantra a bit too readily in the off-season, accepting it as a foregone conclusion rather than as a goal. However, the sloppiness we’ve seen thus far can definitely be corrected. I’m not saying it will be, but it can be.

I’ve seen plenty of good seasons (2002, 2005, 2012 come to mind) start sloppy as the team took a few games to find its identity and start executing more sharply.

There’s no point in getting worked up just yet. Wait until you see us with our starting QB against a conference team or three first.

Mostly, I’m surprised by how many posters are pessimistic about our chances of getting better in 2019. We’re all seeing the same things, so I’m guessing these nattering nabobs of negativity think Lunsford is too “nice” to clean up execution issues?
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

9. Default Re: Old conference mates......

It’s quite likely that the team bought into the “GTG” mantra a bit too readily in the off-season, accepting it as a foregone conclusion rather than as a goal. However, the sloppiness we’ve seen thus far can definitely be corrected. I’m not saying it will be, but it can be.

I’ve seen plenty of good seasons (2002, 2005, 2012 come to mind) start sloppy as the team took a few games to find its identity and start executing more sharply.

There’s no point in getting worked up just yet. Wait until you see us with our starting QB against a conference team or three first.

Mostly, I’m surprised by how many posters are pessimistic about our chances of getting better in 2019. We’re all seeing the same things, so I’m guessing these nattering nabobs of negativity think Lunsford is too “nice” to clean up execution issues?
    This sure is a perfectly timed BYE for us... I am hopeful in seeing a different (improved) team vs ULL.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    My bad....I got confused from when I watched them play Merchant Marine a couple years ago. Merchant Marine still runs it with Mike Toop I believe.
    No you’re right in that they did run it, I just know they switched bc the weight restrictions were killing the linemen, and as we all know you have to have a strong O line to have any success in the option.

Also, you watching the CG play the MM shows your true devotion to football...and also makes me question your sanity .
    Chris Booth
    Class of '09
    Hail Southern and nobody else!