TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Old conference mates......

Default Re: Old conference mates......

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Fritz I don't care for really. Monken I respect and wish him success. He wasnt just chasing money or even a higher profile job, he was chasing the opportunity to serve his country the best way he could because of his family's ties to the military. I can't be mad at him for that. I do wish he had seen us through the transition and kept us on a path with the Flex, but apparently that wasn't in the cards due to other factors.
    Uh, he got made an offer we couldn't counter so he would have been dumb to stay.

Yes the other stuff is true too, but if we could have offered a comparable salary, it's possible he would have stayed. Army likely would have countered with a higher offer, but we couldn't get in a bidding war.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Uh, he got made an offer we couldn't counter so he would have been dumb to stay.

Yes the other stuff is true too, but if we could have offered a comparable salary, it's possible he would have stayed. Army likely would have countered with a higher offer, but we couldn't get in a bidding war.
    I guess my point isn't that he left us just to chase money ala Fritz, but he had a once in a lifetime opportunity to coach at a service academy and restore some honor to their program.

I doubt he leaves for FIU or WKU or some other G5 just due to money. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

Another reason Willie left beyond the huge pay raise was to coach in a conference with more competition. AAC vs SB, no brainer. Along with the chance to restore Tulane to some respectability. Monken, like IVE said from day one, will retire at Army and imo, Willie will retire at Tulane.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    His option? What is PJ’s lineage to Lenoir-Rhyne branch of the option?
    Please Explain with more detail.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    Please Explain with more detail.
    Brent Thompson, the Citadel coach, came there from D-II Lenoir-Rhyne with Mike Houston. He does not appear to have any direct ties to the PJ coaching tree, although his scheme appears to be heavily influenced by it.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Brent Thompson, the Citadel coach, came there from D-II Lenoir-Rhyne with Mike Houston. He does not appear to have any direct ties to the PJ coaching tree, although his scheme appears to be heavily influenced by it.
    Found it.

In 2008, Thompson was an offensive assistant at Bucknell under OC Harold Nichols, who served as OC for Tim Stowers at Rhode Island from 2000-2007.

The OC at Bucknell in 2006-2007 was Ashley Ingram, who coached at Rhode Island under Stowers and now coaches interior OL at Navy.
    Zach Towery
    Bachelor of Music 2009
    Master of Music 2012
    Reidsville, GA

Quote Originally Posted by spdrumline View Post
    Found it.

In 2008, Thompson was an offensive assistant at Bucknell under OC Harold Nichols, who served as OC for Tim Stowers at Rhode Island from 2000-2007.

The OC at Bucknell in 2006-2007 was Ashley Ingram, who coached at Rhode Island under Stowers and now coaches interior OL at Navy.
    I thought I remembered a while back uncovering a tenuous Stowers connection, but I couldn't find it this time around. In fact, I thought I saw different names at Bucknell during that time frame. What you've described is how I remembered it. It's a pain looking up old info on small programs!

Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I thought I remembered a while back uncovering a tenuous Stowers connection, but I couldn't find it this time around. In fact, I thought I saw different names at Bucknell during that time frame. What you've described is how I remembered it. It's a pain looking up old info on small programs!

I think we forget that Stowers hid away in the northeast for a while too.

Ah--I made the mistake of stopping with Landis's first staff at Bucknell. Looks like he kept adding acorns from Stowers' tree.

Nichols was Presbyterian's HC the last time we played them.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Ah--I made the mistake of stopping with Landis's first staff at Bucknell. Looks like he kept adding acorns from Stowers' tree.

Nichols was Presbyterian's HC the last time we played them.
    Yep, great guy.
    My old position coach at Southern.

Spoke with him after that game. I remember a pretty great backwards skip pass they ran (I think that same year) against I believe Wake Forest? Made the ESPN highlight reals, Sports Center if I remember correctly.

He was also the QB for the Blue Hose back in the day.