TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FBS Expectations

Default Re: FBS Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by NCEagleMan05 View Post
    Found it interesting reading thru some of the stuff said about Maine and our expectations - Maine was ranked #6 in FCS coming into the game on Saturday. Six years ago - we would have been happy and thankful about winning against a top 10 FCS team without our starting QB...

This thread isn't supposed to call anyone out, but take a look at some of the quotes after the game:

Again, I want to be clear - this isn't supposed to call anyone out - but instead to realize where we have come from, and also hopefully help people realize that we have come a very long ways. Our expectations are higher now - and that's a good thing. This highlights that our program has already taken the next step.

What's the next step after this? Consistency. We have to be consistently good at this level, not occasionally good. Go Eagles.
    You took my quote out of context, I was just replying to someone. I didnt expect much different on offense other than the bad snaps, that I didnt see. But I expected a close game bc in reality we are no better than when we were in fcs and the play calling has been pretty bland so far under debesse. That game under summers was much worse feeling bc we were loaded offensively, this game is what I expected. Again, only 2 TDs in the last 10 qtrs.
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

While I will agree that we were a few bad snaps away from putting the game out of reach, so was Maine. If the flea flicker wasn't overthrown that was a TD and let's not forget Maine drove 70 yards in 3 plays before fumbling on the 3 yard line and turning it over. Both teams played sloppy and our inability to turn redzone attempts into 7 points almost cost us the game.
    Last edited by GSUfanforever; 9th September 2019 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    You took my quote out of context, I was just replying to someone. I didnt expect much different on offense other than the bad snaps, that I didnt see. But I expected a close game bc in reality we are no better than when we were in fcs and the play calling has been pretty bland so far under debesse. That game under summers was much worse feeling bc we were loaded offensively, this game is what I expected. Again, only 2 TDs in the last 10 qtrs.
    One thing about Saturday night was where those bad snaps took place. We were in position to score a TD on each of those. that could have been a 3/4 TD swing. Without those bad snaps, it's extremely likely we score 45. So while the play calling was "bland", we do seem to execute for the most part aside from a few mistakes that can be fixed. What I don't completely understand is why we run away from wide open field in the redzone? Maybe they simply felt we should overpower Maine and want to save that for in conference... but we had tons of uncovered space to run away from the formation on several redzone attempts.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    One thing about Saturday night was where those bad snaps took place. We were in position to score a TD on each of those. that could have been a 3/4 TD swing. Without those bad snaps, it's extremely likely we score 45. So while the play calling was "bland", we do seem to execute for the most part aside from a few mistakes that can be fixed. What I don't completely understand is why we run away from wide open field in the redzone? Maybe they simply felt we should overpower Maine and want to save that for in conference... but we had tons of uncovered space to run away from the formation on several redzone attempts.
    You're talking to the guy who thinks we ran a triple option play on every snap in the flex.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    While I will agree that we were a few bad snaps away from putting the game out of reach, so was Maine. If the flea flicker wasn't overthrown that was a TD and let's not forget Maine drove 70 yards in 3 plays before fumbling on the 3 yard line and turning it over. Both teams played sloppy and our inability to turn redzone attempts into 7 points almost cost us the game.
    I like to think those were forced errors as opposed to unforced. Bad snaps are not the result of anything but poor execution by the center. The overthrown pass could have been caused by pressure (or simply poor execution) and the fumble would have been forced by our defense doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    You're talking to the guy who thinks we ran a triple option play on every snap in the flex.
    Wait... are you saying we didn't? (smile)

Quote Originally Posted by NCEagleMan05 View Post
    Found it interesting reading thru some of the stuff said about Maine and our expectations - Maine was ranked #6 in FCS coming into the game on Saturday. Six years ago - we would have been happy and thankful about winning against a top 10 FCS team without our starting QB...

This thread isn't supposed to call anyone out, but take a look at some of the quotes after the game:

Again, I want to be clear - this isn't supposed to call anyone out - but instead to realize where we have come from, and also hopefully help people realize that we have come a very long ways. Our expectations are higher now - and that's a good thing. This highlights that our program has already taken the next step.

What's the next step after this? Consistency. We have to be consistently good at this level, not occasionally good. Go Eagles.
    This might be the best post this year. Completely agree +1

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    I like to think those were forced errors as opposed to unforced. Bad snaps are not the result of anything but poor execution by the center. The overthrown pass could have been caused by pressure (or simply poor execution) and the fumble would have been forced by our defense doing something right.
    Bad snaps weren't the only reason we were 1 for 7 scoring touchdowns once we entered the redzone on Saturday. They didn't help but they also weren't the only reason. The snaps don't really concern me as much as our inability to move the ball across the goal line instead of trotting Bass out there.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I don't believe anyone on this board thinks we should be Boise State right now. I think the people doing the most complaining have an agenda or are just dumb (or both).

Understand I'm not talking about anyone who says anything negative. I don't mind people questioning whether the coaching staff has gotten complacent and needs to start doing more scolding of players. I don't mind people questioning the depth or talent at certain positions or why we're making mistakes in year 2 with the same coaching staff. I don't mind people saying we should've competed with LSU better than we did (that's true).

But a lot of the comments in the game thread are just plain stupid, and the first and fifth post quoted in the OP are examples of that, as well as saying CBD is the worst OC we've ever had and blaming our first two games on the staff's recruiting when the only class they had on a full recruiting cycle are a bunch of true freshmen.

When you take all that prattling away, you've got concerned fans that aren't really expecting a NY6 bowl, they just wanted that we played better up to this point than we did.
    I think your wrong on the bolded part. No one that is SANE thinks we should. But there are absolutely those on this board that think we should be 12-0 and in the access bowl every year, no matter what.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    I think your wrong on the bolded part. No one that is SANE thinks we should. But there are absolutely those on this board that think we should be 12-0 and in the access bowl every year, no matter what.
    Where would we be if we didn't have 2 years of CTS?