TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FBS Expectations

Default Re: FBS Expectations

The FCS landscape hasn't changed from 10 years ago other than losing a couple teams to FBS but those spots have been backfilled with teams coming up from D2 like North Alabama, LIU and Merrimack.

What's changed the most is our depth compared to where we were 10 years ago. We have legitimate 2 or 3 deep at most positions because of our ability to have 20 more scholarships annually.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    2011 and 2012 are not what I'd call the "glory years" of FCS football, which is why I don't grade Monken's coaching job here as highly as some do.

But I will say Maine could probably beat a dozen G5 teams and we beat them after self-destructing on several red zone attempts. It's really promising and concerning at the same time. This season could possibly take a turn for some really good places or really bad ones.
    Maine is certainly not worse than some of the NMSU and Idaho teams we’ve played since joining the SBC.

We haven’t exactly rolled those teams every time we play.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Our ultimate goal, as should EVERY team or individual that plays any sport, should be to go undefeated. Strive for perfection and continually reinvent yourself for that purpose.

Why play the game if you don’t expect to win every single time?

Reasonable expectations and steps or goals should be placed out there to help “move positively towards” the ultimate goal. Since we’ve had much success in Football over the years, our goals will be a bit higher than the UNCC and GaSt of the world.

Some of the goals below seem unrealistic to some, and that’s ok, but why play the game if you don’t want to take the steps necessary to win the whole f**** thing?!

You gotta start somewhere and thankfully we’ve come a LONG WAY since our early days with Erk!

Every Year Goals:

* 7+ victories minimum
    * Conference Championship Contender
    * Bowl Game Winner

Next Level Goals:

* Annual Access Bowl Contender
    * Access Bowl Winner

Ultimate Goal:

* Annual Playoff Contender
    * National Championship Winner
    Last edited by eagle95; 9th September 2019 at 10:58 AM.

4. Default Re: FBS Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by buddyroe View Post
    It doesn't really matter because we're going to play the rest of the season regardless and we will find out soon enough how good we are, but #6 in FCS these days is a far cry from the #6 in FCS 10 years ago.
    I don't know how you can reasonably say that... the cream of the crop in FCS is still beating some FBS P5 teams... Yes, it's not AS STRONG. But it's not like everyone else fell off a cliff. There have only been 6 transitions to FBS since 2014 including ours. Those are: Charlotte, Old Dominion, Liberty, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, and App State...
    Jordan Wilson
    @ GSU from 2005-2008
    KSU c/o 2012 Computer Science

5. Default Re: FBS Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by gsueagle18 View Post
    Nothing new here, our culture is to never be satisfied with mediocrity.
    Agreed - I don't think that's the point of the post. It's just a chance to step back and say "Okay, we've come this far - which is great. Time to take the next step."
    Jordan Wilson
    @ GSU from 2005-2008
    KSU c/o 2012 Computer Science

6. Default Re: FBS Expectations

I've got the same awful feeling in my gut that I had after the Albany game in 2009 and the South Alabama game in 2016. I can see that this team is unprepared in every phase of the game and I'm waiting for the shoe to drop. We aren't anywhere near as good as I expected and will struggle to have a winning season unless we make drastic improvements very quickly.

As far as expectations, I refuse to give up on our original goals of being the best in the G5 and one day jockeying for a place in a major conference like the ACC. I'm not going to be satisfied with eeking out wins over teams like Maine. We started this thing with the plan that we were going to set the world on fire. The first two seasons were a good step in that direction and then we let the wheels come off. After the disaster of 2016 and 2017, I fear some people are going to be forever happy with mediocrity. Writing off 50 point losses to P5 teams and squeakers against FCS teams as par for the course is not the mentality we should have. We are Georgia Southern, dang it. We're supposed to win.
    A successful program requires quality coaches. Help us keep ours.
    https://give.gseagles.com/campaign/m...llenge/c170354

Goal for each game: Win the damn game!
    Goals for each season: Win the Conference, Win the Bowl Game
    Ultimate Goals: Finish each season ranked in the top 25. Access Bowl Contender (going some years)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    I've got the same awful feeling in my gut that I had after the Albany game in 2009.
    I had nowhere near the same feeling. Albany in 2009 and Northeastern the year before were legitimate squeakers in which the visiting team gave us as much as we could handle.

Against Maine, we farted around enough to keep from blowing them out. They did diddley squat on offense for the middle 30-35 minutes of the game, while we botched scoring opportunity after scoring opportunity. They loaded up on the middle and dared us to beat them with our green QB.

It reminded me much more of the 2014 NMSU game or the 2015 Idaho game.

Anybody who went in looking for style points against Maine was foolish, IMO.

26 is more than 18, and I’ll take that every time.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I had nowhere near the same feeling. Albany in 2009 and Northeastern the year before were legitimate squeakers in which the visiting team gave us as much as we could handle.

Against Maine, we farted around enough to keep from blowing them out. They did diddley squat on offense for the middle 30-35 minutes of the game, while we botched scoring opportunity after scoring opportunity. They loaded up on the middle and dared us to beat them with our green QB.

It reminded me much more of the 2014 NMSU game or the 2015 Idaho game.

Anybody who went in looking for style points against Maine was foolish, IMO.

26 is more than 18, and I’ll take that every time.
    After watching the game last night, I'm not AS concerned as I was when I saw the final score. 2 errant fumbles within the 10-15 yard line, and DA tripping over himself left at least 10-14 points off the board. But as you said, Maine didn't have the offensive fire power to overcome our defense and make us pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NCEagleMan05 View Post
    Found it interesting reading thru some of the stuff said about Maine and our expectations - Maine was ranked #6 in FCS coming into the game on Saturday. Six years ago - we would have been happy and thankful about winning against a top 10 FCS team without our starting QB...

This thread isn't supposed to call anyone out, but take a look at some of the quotes after the game:

Again, I want to be clear - this isn't supposed to call anyone out - but instead to realize where we have come from, and also hopefully help people realize that we have come a very long ways. Our expectations are higher now - and that's a good thing. This highlights that our program has already taken the next step.

What's the next step after this? Consistency. We have to be consistently good at this level, not occasionally good. Go Eagles.
    You took my quote out of context, I was just replying to someone. I didnt expect much different on offense other than the bad snaps, that I didnt see. But I expected a close game bc in reality we are no better than when we were in fcs and the play calling has been pretty bland so far under debesse. That game under summers was much worse feeling bc we were loaded offensively, this game is what I expected. Again, only 2 TDs in the last 10 qtrs.
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982