TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 17181920 LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

Default Re: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    There is a big difference in a fluke, and something being rare. Is it rare that we block a FG? Yes. Is it rare that we run it back for a TD? Yes. It doesn't automatically make those plays a fluke, though. A fluke by definition is something happening by chance or coincidence or accident. Neither of those two plays were accident or coincidence. Man-Man, Ellis, and Byrd all made a spectacular play and caused those things to happen. If their center snaps the ball over the QBs head, QB falls down, and then Byrd (having done nothing else) picks it up and runs for a TD, then I might agree with you that it was a fluke. He was just their by chance and picked it up in that scenario. Causing something to happen is much different than just happening to be there when it does.

If anything, their 1st TD was more of a fluke than either of our two plays. It was an "accident" or a "coincidence" that our two safeties collided and were knocked out of the play by no fault of MN. Their WR didn't doing anything special to get away from them, he simply caught the ball and kept running because we fell down.
    The actions to cause the turnovers are something that's repeatable.

The bounce of the ball into the hands of both Byrd and Brinson, and the fact that Brinson was able to cut across the field behind everyone and get through clean, is what's not repeatable. That would make them more flukish.

And our safeties really didn't collide into each other. The deep safety was in bad position/missed the tackle and the WR was gone. He wasn't going to be caught by the guy underneath. It's the same kind of stuff that happened at ULM last year. That was just a bad play for us and a good play for them.

There is a big difference in a fluke, and something being rare. Is it rare that we block a FG? Yes. Is it rare that we run it back for a TD? Yes. It doesn't automatically make those plays a fluke, though. A fluke by definition is something happening by chance or coincidence or accident. Neither of those two plays were accident or coincidence. Man-Man, Ellis, and Byrd all made a spectacular play and caused those things to happen. If their center snaps the ball over the QBs head, QB falls down, and then Byrd (having done nothing else) picks it up and runs for a TD, then I might agree with you that it was a fluke. He was just their by chance and picked it up in that scenario. Causing something to happen is much different than just happening to be there when it does.

If anything, their 1st TD was more of a fluke than either of our two plays. It was an "accident" or a "coincidence" that our two safeties collided and were knocked out of the play by no fault of MN. Their WR didn't doing anything special to get away from them, he simply caught the ball and kept running because we fell down.
    I’d describe ANY blocked kick like that one as a bit of a fluke because at best you’re taking an almost blind slap at the ball and hoping your hand happens to be in the path of the ball. And I’d characterize ANYTHING that happens after the block as ‘flukey’ because there’s no controlling where the ball goes or how it bounces. I’m pretty sure they don’t practice ‘hand placement for FG blocks’ technique other than ‘try to get in there as deep as you can, time your jump, and hope for the best’ and certainly not anything as specific as ‘when you block it, make sure to deflect it to one of our guys, but only in the air, and only to the most athletic guy on the field’. Show me a team that blocks 4-5 field goals a year from the edge and I’ll agree that their next block is not a fluke. Ditto with forced fumbles. A team can be superior at forcing fumbles, but not ‘intentionally forcing fumbles so that they bounce to our man in open field’ superior.

A sack is not a fluke. A forced fumble is not a fluke. Whatever the ball does afterwards may indeed be ‘flukey’.

A blocked FG by an interior lineman is usually a bit of a fluke in my opinion, but having it randomly land in Brinson’s hands is certainly a fluke.

Conversely, executing a pass play and having us fail miserably at defending it is not a fluke in my opinion. Unless the ball was tipped twice in the process-THAT would be a fluke.

Something you’re unlikely to intentionally replicate in a hundred tries is what I consider a fluke.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    The actions to cause the turnovers are something that's repeatable.

The bounce of the ball into the hands of both Byrd and Brinson, and the fact that Brinson was able to cut across the field behind everyone and get through clean, is what's not repeatable. That would make them more flukish.

And our safeties really didn't collide into each other. The deep safety was in bad position/missed the tackle and the WR was gone. He wasn't going to be caught by the guy underneath. It's the same kind of stuff that happened at ULM last year. That was just a bad play for us and a good play for them.
    If picking up a loose ball clean is not repeatable as you call it, how did we do it TWICE IN ONE GAME?

Look, we're arguing semantics at this point. The issue that I have had all along is that calling something a fluke discounts what our players did to make those great plays. It's not like it was a Hail Mary that dropped through the outstretched hands of half a dozen players to fall into the belly of a receiver on his back in the endzone like the Flutie play. That was a fluke. A forced fumble, scoop and score and a blocked FG, scoop and score with that many cut backs and through that many opposing players are exceptional plays by our defense/special teams and should not be negated because a few of our fans are pissed off that we lost. We did enough bad things in that game to point at. We should not be negating the good plays just to make ourselves feel worse. I don't get their point of saying things like "we're lucky they didn't beat us by 50".

As an amazing bald genius once said, FIDO!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

I would be inclined to call both of them "flukes," whatever that means. BUT you also have to attribute those plays partly to our talent. How many of us thought Bama's FG block and score in 2011 was a fluke? None of us. We just saw ourselves get blown up on that play by "superior talent."

There aren't too many non-elite programs who have a guy like Brinson picking up blocked FGs and returning them. His talent with the ball in his hands is unreal. He's had multiple INTs and (maybe) fumble recoveries on which I've seen him do similar things, as well as leaping would-be tacklers.

True story: when he picked up that ball Saturday, my immediate thought was, "That's Brinson! He might score!" This was before he made all those moves.

Anyway, we're good enough to make our share of those plays. Too bad they weren't enough Saturday.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

If picking up a loose ball clean is not repeatable as you call it, how did we do it TWICE IN ONE GAME?

Look, we're arguing semantics at this point. The issue that I have had all along is that calling something a fluke discounts what our players did to make those great plays. It's not like it was a Hail Mary that dropped through the outstretched hands of half a dozen players to fall into the belly of a receiver on his back in the endzone like the Flutie play. That was a fluke. A forced fumble, scoop and score and a blocked FG, scoop and score with that many cut backs and through that many opposing players are exceptional plays by our defense/special teams and should not be negated because a few of our fans are pissed off that we lost. We did enough bad things in that game to point at. We should not be negating the good plays just to make ourselves feel worse. I don't get their point of saying things like "we're lucky they didn't beat us by 50".

As an amazing bald genius once said, FIDO!
    Because recovered fumbles are 50/50 at best. Recovered fumbles run back for touchdowns are even less likely. The fact that two of them occurred in the same game is highly unlikely.

Scoop and scores by their nature are fluky. It's what we pointed out to stAte fans in 2016 when they prided themselves on their defense that was either going to get a turnover/score on a turnover or just let you score quick. It's not a sustainable way to operate on defense, because it's unreliable.

Yes, what we did to create the fumbles is repeatable. But what happened after the fumbles is not. You can't rely on the ball to bounce the same way each time. Just like we can't rely on having 7 fumbles in a game and only losing one of them. Eventually law of averages will bite you.

With our "insane" TO margin last year, we were still only +7 over what our expected margin was, so we weren't too far out of bounds. That would have still put us at +15 which is still really good and better than what we've done in most years. That means that we were indeed somewhat lucky last year.

I understand that the reason we were in position to win the game was because of those 2 plays. It definitely wasn't because of the offense which only ran 12 plays and generated 14 yards in the second half. We can't rely on 2 defensive scores like what happened against Minnesota though. In fact, how many times has that even occurred in our history? That should tell you how much of a fluke it is. However, 5 sacks and 11 TFLs is not a fluke. If we do that every game for the rest of the year teams are gonna have a hard time scoring on us and we'll generate more turnovers. If we get more defensive scores, then that's great. It just makes it that much easier to win.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I would be inclined to call both of them "flukes," whatever that means. BUT you also have to attribute those plays partly to our talent. How many of us thought Bama's FG block and score in 2011 was a fluke? None of us. We just saw ourselves get blown up on that play by "superior talent."

There aren't too many non-elite programs who have a guy like Brinson picking up blocked FGs and returning them. His talent with the ball in his hands is unreal. He's had multiple INTs and (maybe) fumble recoveries on which I've seen him do similar things, as well as leaping would-be tacklers.

True story: when he picked up that ball Saturday, my immediate thought was, "That's Brinson! He might score!" This was before he made all those moves.

Anyway, we're good enough to make our share of those plays. Too bad they weren't enough Saturday.
    Wait, I thought it "randomly" fell in his hands? Right Gatalac?
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Wait, I thought it "randomly" fell in his hands? Right Gatalac?
    I'd rather be lucky than good. And the harder I work, the luckier I get.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

I'd rather be lucky than good. And the harder I work, the luckier I get.
    Preach on Brother!

I think it definitely holds that the more pressure you bring, the more sacks you’ll get, ergo the better chance to force fumbles in the pocket > more opportunities to recover fumbles > more chances to scoop and score. Also, the better athletes you have on the field, the better chance to do something dramatic if the ball does happen to bounce into your hands.

I think you can be ‘good’ at bringing pressure and getting sacks, perhaps even causing fumbles, but I don’t know if anyone is prepared to suggest that a team can be ‘good’ at turning a pass play into 6 points the other way in the manner above. Likewise, I’ve never heard a team described as being ‘good’ at blocking field goals and taking them to the house.

Regardless, both of those guys made heads up, hustling plays when the opportunity presented itself.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I think it definitely holds that the more pressure you bring, the more sacks you’ll get, ergo the better chance to force fumbles in the pocket > more opportunities to recover fumbles > more chances to scoop and score. Also, the better athletes you have on the field, the better chance to do something dramatic if the ball does happen to bounce into your hands.

I think you can be ‘good’ at bringing pressure and getting sacks, perhaps even causing fumbles, but I don’t know if anyone is prepared to suggest that a team can be ‘good’ at turning a pass play into 6 points the other way in the manner above. Likewise, I’ve never heard a team described as being ‘good’ at blocking field goals and taking them to the house.

Regardless, both of those guys made heads up, hustling plays when the opportunity presented itself.
    This exactly. They did what they were supposed to do and made great things happen. But we were lucky that the result came out the way it did. That's why people preach process, not results.

Even if they get tackled short of scores in both cases they were still really great heads up plays and everyone did exactly what they're supposed to do.