TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 181920

Thread: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

Default Re: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    We can't rely on 2 defensive scores like what happened against Minnesota though. In fact, how many times has that even occurred in our history?
    I'll answer my own question since the only thing that's happening now is petty passive aggressive responses elsewhere.

Out of data for 475 games, we've had 3 non-offensive TDs in in 3 games and 2 non-offensive TDs in 8 games. That's 11 out of 475 games, or 2.3%.

My bigger focus is on the havok created by the defense in terms of sacks, TFLs, and turnovers. If we keep doing that, we'll see a lot of good things happen for us, even if we don't have another scoop and score this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post

Only idiots that have never played the game say this stuff. Because they simply don’t understand. “We gave it to you!!!!!”
    Just curious... did you play in HS or college?

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Wait, I thought it "randomly" fell in his hands? Right Gatalac?
    Naw, man. It played out just like we drew it up!
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

4. Default Re: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

I'll answer my own question since the only thing that's happening now is petty passive aggressive responses elsewhere.

Out of data for 475 games, we've had 3 non-offensive TDs in in 3 games and 2 non-offensive TDs in 8 games. That's 11 out of 475 games, or 2.3%.

My bigger focus is on the havok created by the defense in terms of sacks, TFLs, and turnovers. If we keep doing that, we'll see a lot of good things happen for us, even if we don't have another scoop and score this year.
    The defense is playing great most of the time now.....

I just don’t understand the strategy we used on the final Minn drive... why didn’t we keep doing the same stuff? A prevent defense? Seriously?

Absolutely handed them the last drive.

should have killed them at several points on that drive. and of course, the 12 men on the field again.

Very frustrating loss.

Because recovered fumbles are 50/50 at best. Recovered fumbles run back for touchdowns are even less likely. The fact that two of them occurred in the same game is highly unlikely.

Scoop and scores by their nature are fluky. It's what we pointed out to stAte fans in 2016 when they prided themselves on their defense that was either going to get a turnover/score on a turnover or just let you score quick. It's not a sustainable way to operate on defense, because it's unreliable.

Yes, what we did to create the fumbles is repeatable. But what happened after the fumbles is not. You can't rely on the ball to bounce the same way each time. Just like we can't rely on having 7 fumbles in a game and only losing one of them. Eventually law of averages will bite you.

With our "insane" TO margin last year, we were still only +7 over what our expected margin was, so we weren't too far out of bounds. That would have still put us at +15 which is still really good and better than what we've done in most years. That means that we were indeed somewhat lucky last year.

I understand that the reason we were in position to win the game was because of those 2 plays. It definitely wasn't because of the offense which only ran 12 plays and generated 14 yards in the second half. We can't rely on 2 defensive scores like what happened against Minnesota though. In fact, how many times has that even occurred in our history? That should tell you how much of a fluke it is. However, 5 sacks and 11 TFLs is not a fluke. If we do that every game for the rest of the year teams are gonna have a hard time scoring on us and we'll generate more turnovers. If we get more defensive scores, then that's great. It just makes it that much easier to win.
    A couple things: I never once said any of these things should be relied on a part of some defensive scheme or magical way of game planning. I never once said we should expect them to happen. I never once said that they weren't rare or that they happen all the time. I am simply arguing that they are not accidental, coincidence, chance, or luck. That is by definition, what a fluke is. I'll say it again, just because something is rare does not make it a fluke. We put ourselves in position to make a play, made that play, and then were able to take it all the way to the endzone for 6 points. To call it lucky or a fluke deminishes the extraordinary talent and effort that they put in to make those plays happen.

Were AP's The Run and The Son of the Run flukes? You can't rely on runs like that to happen all the time. You can't rely on them to happen to save you late in a game. They are rare and don't happen very often. Or were they unbelievable individual acts of extraordinary talent in which AP ran through, over, and around every defensive player on the field and made All-Americans look like they were a 5th grade pop warner team? How about his record for consecutive 100 yards games? Was that a fluke? You can't rely on them to happen, it's never happened before or since so it's got to be rare. Was he lucky? Was it accidental? Was it just a coincidence?
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Big coming-out party for Quinn Williams.*

I haven't gone back and re-watched the whole game; generally speaking, does anyone have a sense how much he played Dog OLB in one of our standard formations vs stand-up edge rusher in our "special" passing downs formation?

*We still should move him to TE. So Walt tells me, anyway.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

7. Default Re: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    A couple things: I never once said any of these things should be relied on a part of some defensive scheme or magical way of game planning. I never once said we should expect them to happen. I never once said that they weren't rare or that they happen all the time. I am simply arguing that they are not accidental, coincidence, chance, or luck. That is by definition, what a fluke is. I'll say it again, just because something is rare does not make it a fluke. We put ourselves in position to make a play, made that play, and then were able to take it all the way to the endzone for 6 points. To call it lucky or a fluke deminishes the extraordinary talent and effort that they put in to make those plays happen.

Were AP's The Run and The Son of the Run flukes? You can't rely on runs like that to happen all the time. You can't rely on them to happen to save you late in a game. They are rare and don't happen very often. Or were they unbelievable individual acts of extraordinary talent in which AP ran through, over, and around every defensive player on the field and made All-Americans look like they were a 5th grade pop warner team? How about his record for consecutive 100 yards games? Was that a fluke? You can't rely on them to happen, it's never happened before or since so it's got to be rare. Was he lucky? Was it accidental? Was it just a coincidence?
    You sure do love to argue about meaningless crap. Just let it go.