TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

1. Default Re: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Nah.

GS runs MUCH more triple option under Lunsford/DeBesse than we did under Fritz/Ruse.

The basis of GSís option game is now the same Inside Zone Read that everybody runs, but we very often have a pitch player on the read side of the IZRómaybe even on a majority of those plays.

Thatís why youíll see us using a lot more two-RB formations now than we used under Fritz, who liked using 11 personnel, with one RB and one TE/H-Back.

I always considered Wade Lang to be the architect of that split-back shotgun formation, btw. I donít remember seeing it before Wofford ran it.

Like I said, the main difference between what we run now and the shotgun IZR stuff that everyone else uses is that we use a LOT of different formations and typically add a pitch man, making a full-fledged triple option-style offense. We also use our TE/H-Back to ďcruiseĒ the alley kinda like a veer TE or a flex A-Back, which hardly anyone else does. Oh, and obviously we run it 80+% of the time, which hardly anyone else does.

I can understand wanting to pass more, though, as being a pure option team means that your offense almost always reacts to the defensive front. It would be nice to occasionally line up and do what you WANT to do on offense (as opposed to what the defense gives you), especially in close/late situations.

But I think the option will continue to serve us well, as long as we can execute it. GS loves to recruit speed and toughness, and those two things should play VERY well in our current system.

I donít want to talk about Hobbs, but I donít have any problem discussing Breitenstein. I loved watching that guy play.
    EB's getting his number retired in a week or so. Running the option at GSU is actually perfect for a G5 program because it's niche. Triple/read option principles are pervasive at the D1 level. They way I like to think of it is that it was the spread before the spread was popular. In football, you use deception, power, and spacing and the triple option did all of those things. This wasn't always true though. Part of the reason why App beat Michigan ~10 years ago is because most of FBS ran a lot of power, but not a lot of spacing and deception. App's spread was one of the first to use the spacing/deception but also with some passing. They out-thought defensive coaches. But since then, defensive coaches everywhere have adjusted and the same principles that are good for defending spread-running looks are also good for the option in general.

So the option is really good when playing against mid-tier and below talent/quality defenses (and the occasional good/talented team) but when it runs into above average defenses it will struggle more than it used to because the game is more predicated on spacing/deception than it was at say, 2000 when Paul Johnson won his national title at GSU. As a result, you can look at the stats of teams that run the option playing quality defenses (say Wofford/Kennesaw State, the Citadel, and even Georgia Southern briefly in the playoffs since roughly 2010) and the stats are nothing compared to what Georgia Southern used to produce (just look at how often each team has scored 30, they only get that high if they're playing a team not known for defense).

It's not because coaches are less smart at calling plays or players are less athletic, it's because the game has evolved in such a way that everyone uses the concepts that make the option successful and defenses have prepared for it. That's why no team in their right mind nowadays (and no "option" OC at D1 except maybe the Citadel) runs exclusively wing-t looks and doesn't at least try to pass. What inhales vigorously about a lot of these option offenses isn't that they run the option, it's that they can't do much else when they to. That's why Wofford's trying to pass more (growing pains and all), especially since we are comparatively more athletic than we used to be.

But this is a good system for a G5 team like Georgia Southern because the goal (right now) isn't to win a national title. You're not going to be facing the top tier talent and coaching of the FBS 90% of the time and when you play a bowl game, the opposing talent will probably be equal to or less than what you have (unless you're playing a NY6 someday). So running a strong-option offense is smart because it makes you special for recruiting and it is successful against the teams you will be playing. I imagine if GSU was still at the FCS level, they would run an offense like James Madison, if anyone's been paying attention to them

This is relevant to this thread because from what I saw against SDSU, Minnesota didn't strike me as a good team, but a team that out-athleted the Jacks. They needed a defensive play late to get on top. I think there's potential for an upset here because I don't think they'll be ready for the deception component. If GSU came out and played better against LSU/Maine I would have picked the Eagles.

Default Re: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

MikeSanders - Wait...what? But we only have an administrator not a coach. How can we possibly win?

This may be out of context, but what I think you're saying is that you really want is a great Flex Option coach and staff to take over! ;-)

Bwha, ha, ha,ha
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

GS 23 - Minn 20
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

4. Default Re: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    MikeSanders - Wait...what? But we only have an administrator not a coach. How can we possibly win?

This may be out of context, but what I think you're saying is that you really want is a great Flex Option coach and staff to take over! ;-)

Bwha, ha, ha,ha
    Coach/administrator doesn't matter.

Some great coaches aren't great football minds.... They just outsource that work to people who are.

CL needs to be smart enough to leave playcalling to someone else. Don't pull any more "surprise onside kicks." That was a really bad call.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Coach/administrator doesn't matter.

Some great coaches aren't great football minds.... They just outsource that work to people who are.

CL needs to be smart enough to leave playcalling to someone else. Don't pull any more "surprise onside kicks." That was a really bad call.
    +1. Vince Dooly comes to mind.

My guaranteed, lead pipe lock:

TALON won't be able to wear pants today because of the excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post

Lead pipe lock? More like lead pipe *you know*.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post

That was terrible.......
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

9. Default Re: Minnesota Score Prediction Thread

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    +1. Vince Dooly comes to mind.
    Exactly who I was thinking of.

Say what? Sadly you GSU fans that thought that GSU would lose this game by 21 - 40 points should be ashamed!
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed