TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Now what?

Default Re: Now what?

I thought Tomlin played quite well. There were definitely some focus issues and mental mistakes out there.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

2. Default Re: Now what?

Quote Originally Posted by GIEAGLE View Post
    Coaching. They are doing what they're coached to do. Under coaches Sewak and Davis they were coached to come off the ball low and hard. Very aggressive. They're not being coached to do that any longer. We now operate the offensive scheme out of a shotgun or pistol formation instead of starting the play from under center hitting the los quickly. Big difference.

If we're gonna continue to operate our offensive package out of the shotgun or pistol formations we better start recruiting quarterbacks that will complete passes when they throw the ball and we better start recruiting tight ends that will catch the ball after they beat the linebackers or safeties that are supposed to cover 'em. I haven't seen that we have either so far this season.
    I agree.

O line blocking doesn’t look great.

I think Tomlin and Werts both throw very well for the kinds of passes we normally use. But we gotta work on the catching end of that equation.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I agree.

O line blocking doesn’t look great.

I think Tomlin and Werts both throw very well for the kinds of passes we normally use. But we gotta work on the catching end of that equation.
    O line blocking would look a whole lot better if the linebackers and safeties weren't up playing the run. And when throwing to an open man our quarterbacks have to be able to get rid of the ball on time and put the ball where the receiver can catch it on the run instead of having to adjust to the inaccurate ball and fall as a result, or not even have a chance to catch it.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    The team was sloppy and lazy. We had guys tying their shoes on defense while the ball was ready to be snapped. Something happened in the off season and we have a terrible team attitude right now. If these coaches don't get the players, especially the offensive line and defense, to get some fire in their belly, we're staring down the barrel of a losing season.

Explain please. I just don't see it.

Sloppy, yes. OL missing assignments, yes. Bad snaps, yes. Too many fumbles, yes. Several other things, yes. But I don't see a bad attitude.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

My thoughts exactly.

Something is very seriously amiss.

Things are a mess on so many levels. What the hell happened??

A couple weeks ago, we were talking about skull dragging Minn. Now we are wondering if we can squeak with 3 or 4 wins.

I have no idea what has changed, but some stuff most definitely has. This is more than just missing a couple players.
    Very few people said anything about skull dragging Minn., and those that were are crazy. You might be the only one wondering about 3 or 4 wins.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Dude.

We don't see some very serious improvement (and some kind of reality check with GD play calling,) we will win zero games.

This game was absolutely the sloppiest GS game I have ever personally witnessed. We fumbled on offense, defense, pretty damned sure the cheerleaders fumbled for us. (This was way worse than our last Sav State game in terms of ball control.

Tomlin was good. Playcalling was crap. Snaps were crap. Ball control was crap.

This is a LOT worse than some early season jitters. We sweated out a freaking FCS team! A team which could not touch anyone else in our conference.

Our staff better figure some stuff out. Real quick. This will be an awful season if we bring the same stuff from our first two games anywhere else.

Yes. I'm hitting the panic switch. What I saw tonight was God-awful on most levels. Especially playcalling. How many times do we get inside the 5 to run the exact same play? I mean the exact same dive to the same guy?? (Are we stuck in some kind of Stowers time machine??) YGTBSM.
    This just in.... the sky is falling!

Maine would have won with a couple more minutes.

They scored easy TD after easy TD and got turnover after turnover. We damned near handed this to them with a big cherry on top.
    "Easy TD after Easy TD" and "turnover after turnover"?!?!?!?! You do realize they scored TD's on only two drives in the entire game, right? One at the beginning of the 4th qtr and one on their last drive. We also only gave them ONE turnover.

Were we watching the same game?

Quote Originally Posted by GIEAGLE View Post
    O line blocking would look a whole lot better if the linebackers and safeties weren't up playing the run. And when throwing to an open man our quarterbacks have to be able to get rid of the ball on time and put the ball where the receiver can catch it on the run instead of having to adjust to the inaccurate ball and fall as a result, or not even have a chance to catch it.
    I rewatched the game and this was an issue. Debesse threw some early down passes to try to loosen them up, but we only connected on one of the deep shots (that I can remember). Once we got into the redzone, the pass threat lessened so the box got cramped and we were running into a 9 man box trying to block with 5-7 guys. We were moving the ball, slowly, and had the most success on the outside plays. But the 2 bad snaps really killed those efforts.

Another thing I noticed is it looks as if some of the receivers and the cruisers were having difficulty committing to a defender to block, and ultimately blocked no one. That can be corrected, because blocking the wrong person is still better than blocking no one.