TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Georgia Southern vs Maine Preview

1. Default Re: Georgia Southern vs Maine Preview

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    That includes 9 games against Power 5 teams, 2 against App State on a short week, a WMU Access Bowl team, and Navy.

The other two are Tyson Summers' game at Ark St where we got 5 turnovers and lost, and the loss to SBC champs Troy in Coach Lunsford's first game as an interim.

It's not as well as you'd like to do given the schedule, but the context matters.
    Yeah, itís not a promising stat, but itís primarily driven by being a member of the SBC.

2. Default Re: Georgia Southern vs Maine Preview

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    To be fair, everyone was in full panic mode.

That game was baaaad.
    Not everyone was in full panic. Pretty sure there was a few of us that understood what happened

3. Default Re: Georgia Southern vs Maine Preview

To some extent.

But we don’t prepare well for road games. We really don’t.

Tx State was a squeaker that we should have won by miles. Lost to (really horrible) Gag team on the road multiple times.

Road games are a problem. We almost fell apart at the Camellia bowl after absolutely owning most of the game.
    Texas st defense was pretty good last season and that was on a short week. You should learn to give credit to other teams sometimes. Teams are going to get up for us always just because of our history.

4. Default Re: Georgia Southern vs Maine Preview

I heard a lot of the "stop acting like the sky is falling" talk during the first few games of the Summers era. Turns out those people were sipping the koolaid. I didn't expect to beat LSU but I also didn't expect to look completely helpless either. That was like watching a middle school team play the Green Bay Packers. We should never get boat raced like that in every phase of the game. I just don't see us winning many games if we can't look like we have a clue what we're doing. We had FCS teams scrap with FBS championship contenders. After 5 years in this subdivision, there's no more excuses about rosters and recruiting. We got housed because we weren't ready and we weren't any good. Hopefully we can turn it around but it's going to take an awful lot from the players and coaches to have a winning record if the effort we showed last week is what we're bringing for the rest of the season.

Default Re: Georgia Southern vs Maine Preview

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    I heard a lot of the "stop acting like the sky is falling" talk during the first few games of the Summers era. Turns out those people were sipping the koolaid. I didn't expect to beat LSU but I also didn't expect to look completely helpless either. That was like watching a middle school team play the Green Bay Packers. We should never get boat raced like that in every phase of the game. I just don't see us winning many games if we can't look like we have a clue what we're doing. We had FCS teams scrap with FBS championship contenders. After 5 years in this subdivision, there's no more excuses about rosters and recruiting. We got housed because we weren't ready and we weren't any good. Hopefully we can turn it around but it's going to take an awful lot from the players and coaches to have a winning record if the effort we showed last week is what we're bringing for the rest of the season.
    We got housed by a much weaker WVU team and still won our bowl over the MAC champs.

Calm down.

To some extent.

But we donít prepare well for road games. We really donít.

Tx State was a squeaker that we should have won by miles. Lost to (really horrible) Gag team on the road multiple times.

Road games are a problem. We almost fell apart at the Camellia bowl after absolutely owning most of the game.
    Small correction, but we have only lost to gagst on the road once, not multiple times.
    Chris Booth
    Class of '09
    Hail Southern and nobody else!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    Hey SP:

You know the App State team that beat us in Boone the year we had the "tin horn game" at Alabama? They lost 66-13 at Virginia Tech to start the season. It was 52-0 just a few minutes into the third quarter. Probably not coincidentally that was the year after JMU beat Virginia Tech to start the season.

Last year Ark State played Alabama and the score was 40-0 at the half, they lost 57-7. UL-L played that same team and the score was 49-0 at half time.

None of those were games where the losing team had basically no film to go off of and the Alabama games weren't season openers. I agree we should expect to compete better against top-10 teams than we did and we should be better than Ark State and ULL last season but one hideous game does not mean it's 2016 again. Just sit back and chill and watch how things unfold over the next couple of games.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 6th September 2019 at 08:24 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    Not everyone was in full panic. Pretty sure there was a few of us that understood what happened
    Yep 100%
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    We got housed by a much weaker WVU team and still won our bowl over the MAC champs.

Calm down.
    That team had breida and a few other studs to turn the season around and was missing our starting qb ellison for the 1st 2 games.ast year had a lot going for us,great home schedule, an amazing turnover ratio, a qb that did not throw 1 interception (whaaaaaaat). None of those will happen this year so it comes down to coaching and we will see what happens. I just know if I see 2 or 3 first series where it'sthe fb hand off up the middle 15 times in a row I might lose it. And please noone say ever again we did that with the flex,that was 5 yards closer and I know then we set up the dive. No setting up now. Run it outside damn it...
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

10. Default Re: Georgia Southern vs Maine Preview

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    That team had breida and a few other studs to turn the season around and was missing our starting qb ellison for the 1st 2 games.ast year had a lot going for us,great home schedule, an amazing turnover ratio, a qb that did not throw 1 interception (whaaaaaaat). None of those will happen this year so it comes down to coaching and we will see what happens. I just know if I see 2 or 3 first series where it'sthe fb hand off up the middle 15 times in a row I might lose it. And please noone say ever again we did that with the flex,that was 5 yards closer and I know then we set up the dive. No setting up now. Run it outside damn it...
    That dive for the first series strategy is so retarded.

Even if Debeese thinks he will see some weaknesses in their defense, he is only fooling himself. EVERYONE knows what he is planning on that series. Especially the opposing staff-which is motivated to mislead him.