TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 16171819 LastLast

Thread: This site and people on here

Default Re: This site and people on here

Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post
    I think it's because he has that Christian Laettner/Macauley Culkin look...people see that look and want to cuff him up abouts the head and shoulders a bit. Dude is just a damn good QB with a pretty calm set of nerves. He will get some comeuppance in the NFL, but I think he'll be fine.
    Lol
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Like Cam Newton did?

I seem to remember Cam setting rookie passing records, winning NFL MVP and leading the Panthers to a Super Bowl...so Burrow may be OK.

haha. no kidding. A large majority of NFL qb's would love to have the career that came has had.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Well yeah. Thatís why I said there are about 10 teams each year who have a roster capable of winning a national title. And LSU has spent the large part of the past 13 years in that bucket but they didnít have the coaching to get it done. I mean everybody has known their offensive coaching has been a joke but only producing 16 TD passes with basically the exact same roster last year...wow.

Fortunately for me Kirby Smart has picked up the ball and ran with it taking LSUís place (eyeroll)
    Hey Half, curious your take on UGA getting Newman. See a few folks who just think this is gonna put them over the top just cuz he's more mobile than Fromm. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not like Newman was getting so much pub at WF and just had a bad team around him. I personally don't recall hearing his name very much.

Btw, feel free to PM me your thoughts.... don't wanna derail the thread

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

UGA right now is in better shape than LSU ever had been between 2005-2018 in my opinion.

They're just running into some other buzzsaw programs and...Tua.

Smart will get a title unless UGA is dumb enough to get frustrated and dump him (50/50 chance they ARE that dumb).

Funny thing about the QB position in the NFL...if you look at just about every other position and the best players in the league more than likely played at a major P5 program. At quarterback that's not the case. Rodgers played at Berkeley, Brees played at Purdue, Mahomes played at Texas Tech, Prescott played at Miss State, Jackson played at Louisville, Ryan played at Boston College, you get the idea.

That happens IMO because at QB in the NFL it's more important to have elite football smarts and average arm and legs than it is to have great arms and legs and an average understanding of the game, and colleges aren't scouting QBs quite as much on football smarts, and that's probably impossible to do with high school players anyways.

From the reports I've seen scouts are gushing about Burrow's understanding of the game and that's probably why he'll be a first-rounder or even a #1 pick when his arm strength is pretty average by NFL standards.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 15th January 2020 at 12:48 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Funny thing about the QB position in the NFL...if you look at just about every other position and the best players in the league more than likely played at a major P5 program. At quarterback that's not the case. Rodgers played at Berkeley, Brees played at Purdue, Mahomes played at Texas Tech, Prescott played at Miss State, Jackson played at Louisville, Ryan played at Boston College, you get the idea.

That happens IMO because at QB in the NFL it's more important to have elite football smarts and average arm and legs than it is to have great arms and legs and an average understanding of the game, and colleges aren't scouting QBs quite as much on football smarts, and that's probably impossible to do with high school players anyways.

From the reports I've seen scouts are gushing about Burrow's understanding of the game and that's probably why he'll be a first-rounder or even a #1 pick when his arm strength is pretty average by NFL standards.
    So the only major P5 programs are SEC? Purdue over the years has produced some good NFL qb's. All the schools you mentioned are major schools. Burrow has touch on all his passes, mid range, long ball. Heck, the only thing I didn't see him throw this year was a screen pass, the dreaded bubble screen. I'm not sure what you mean by arm strength but IMO, he has all the throws. The way he throws they didn't need a screen pass. Take away his deep ball, he'll slant you to death. Bengals get him a O-line, 2-3 good wide receivers and a running back, as soon as he picks up the speed of the NFL he could become a great one. Bengals might be getting a franchise QB(better than Matty Ice or Cam)

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    So the only major P5 programs are SEC? Purdue over the years has produced some good NFL qb's. All the schools you mentioned are major schools. Burrow has touch on all his passes, mid range, long ball. Heck, the only thing I didn't see him throw this year was a screen pass, the dreaded bubble screen. I'm not sure what you mean by arm strength but IMO, he has all the throws. The way he throws they didn't need a screen pass. Take away his deep ball, he'll slant you to death. Bengals get him a O-line, 2-3 good wide receivers and a running back, as soon as he picks up the speed of the NFL he could become a great one. Bengals might be getting a franchise QB(better than Matty Ice or Cam)
    "Major programs" to me are the top 15-20 programs in college football, the ones that fill up their signing classes with ESPN100 players most or every year.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    I genuinely don't see any of this cockiness in Burrow that some are talking about. I think Burrow is incredibly humble. Always giving praise to his teammates, answers questions directly without adding any attitude to it, and never acknowledges how good 'I am'. I watched him on the Pat Mac show and he seemed a bit shy and just like a down to earth dude. He used his Heisman speech to bring awareness to his hometown in Ohio's poverty situation.
    Dont mistake cockiness for confidence. I loved his comment when asked his ring size, "10.5, we've already been fitted". I would say the entire LSU program was confident. The kid thanked everyone associated with the program for his success, equipment people, food service people etc. no, I'm with you, I don't see arrogant, I see darn good kid and football player. As far as a NFL guy laying him out, if I'm a somewhat undersized NFL CB, I'd be more worried about Burrow "laying me out", the kid ain't little and he's sneaky quick.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Right. Those are all P5 major programs.

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Well yeah. Thatís why I said there are about 10 teams each year who have a roster capable of winning a national title. And LSU has spent the large part of the past 13 years in that bucket but they didnít have the coaching to get it done. I mean everybody has known their offensive coaching has been a joke but only producing 16 TD passes with basically the exact same roster last year...wow.

Fortunately for me Kirby Smart has picked up the ball and ran with it taking LSUís place (eyeroll)
    And they're usually the same 10 out of a possible 15-20. This, of course, is because their media and market presence perpetuate their mystique and give them opportunities to spend $80 million on a locker room "upgrade". The majority of people driving the dollars to those schools have no real connection beyond their Wal-Mart shirt and the TV.

Then there are the other 220 schools who make up real D1 College Football.