TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: This site and people on here

Default Re: This site and people on here

This LSU team is a beast no doubt. They may be the best team we have opened against. Just looking at our schedule since our jump to FBS in 2014 we have opened the season against a P5 opponent 4 times (NC State-2014, WV-2015, Auburn-2017, and LSU-2019) and have been crushed 3 out of the 4. It has been stated on this board in many threads that the longer an opponent has to prepare against an option attack the better they perform. The one anomaly for us was 2014 vs NC State and that was the first game after we moved from the Flex to the shotgun, so they may not have been as prepared for what we threw at them that game (we passed for 192 yards and rushed for 246). Once the ACC teams saw CPJ's attack a few times they were able to adjust. We saw the same thing during our time in the Southern Conference as several schools ran something similar.

Consider that we have been more competitive against the P5 opponents when they had less time prepare (GT - 2014 and 2016, Ole Miss-2016, UGA-2015). The exceptions to that statement are Clemson - 2018 (NC Champs) and Indiana - 2017 (Summers 0-6 start). My point is although we should have high expectations (we are GS) we should not read too much into the results from LSU's beat down.

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    This LSU team is a beast no doubt. They may be the best team we have opened against. Just looking at our schedule since our jump to FBS in 2014 we have opened the season against a P5 opponent 4 times (NC State-2014, WV-2015, Auburn-2017, and LSU-2019) and have been crushed 3 out of the 4. It has been stated on this board in many threads that the longer an opponent has to prepare against an option attack the better they perform. The one anomaly for us was 2014 vs NC State and that was the first game after we moved from the Flex to the shotgun, so they may not have been as prepared for what we threw at them that game (we passed for 192 yards and rushed for 246). Once the ACC teams saw CPJ's attack a few times they were able to adjust. We saw the same thing during our time in the Southern Conference as several schools ran something similar.

Consider that we have been more competitive against the P5 opponents when they had less time prepare (GT - 2014 and 2016, Ole Miss-2016, UGA-2015). The exceptions to that statement are Clemson - 2018 (NC Champs) and Indiana - 2017 (Summers 0-6 start). My point is although we should have high expectations (we are GS) we should not read too much into the results from LSU's beat down.
    Our own head coach admitted he didn't do enough to get them ready. That's what you need to read into this.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Our own head coach admitted he didn't do enough to get them ready. That's what you need to read into this.
    Of course he said that. A good coach never throws his team under the bus and ALWAYS takes blame for a loss. What else could he say? " Hey guys they are just that much better than us and we never stood a chance"? That would be great for morale. Or how about "our running backs just need to break more tackles"? That was a gem from the last head coach. As a coach you take blame for the losses and give the players credit for the wins. That is how you get these young men ready to run through a brick wall for you.

That is because that is what a good coach says after a loss.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    Of course he said that. A good coach never throws his team under the bus and ALWAYS takes blame for a loss. What else could he say? " Hey guys they are just that much better than us and we never stood a chance"? That would be great for morale. Or how about "our running backs just need to break more tackles"? That was a gem from the last head coach. As a coach you take blame for the losses and give the players credit for the wins. That is how you get these young men ready to run through a brick wall for you.
    Or maybe it is true and he's not doing that to take the heat off the players as much as the HC and Staff just didn't do a good job!
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    I will say 62-10 in 5 years with us. Pj didnt kick butt every year at tech but he is one of te ha all time winningest coaches. Army lost in ot to Oklahoma last year. Army would not have lost 52-3 to lsu, they might not have scored but controlling the clock and keeping the other teams offense off the field is the best defense. And I remember all games gsu has been in and yes there have been some where the offense wasn't clicking or the defense had our number etc. But then the next 6 games we go ape sh×t on defenses. Hope our offense evolves but to me it's boring and predictable.

In the first to years of being a club team Erk had a winning record with walk on players as a club team
    1982 - 7-3-1
    1983 6-5

While Erk used the triple option from the I formation until he changed to the Flex Option in 1985 he still did great the first year he was in 1aa in 1984 with an 8-3 record

While in 1aa Erk had an 82% win record

!985 - 1999

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erk_Russell

Mike Sewak was still 35-14, 714%, after 4 years going to the playoffs 3 times. I understand that that did not meet GSU standards with the losses in the playoffs. Still not a bad record at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Sewak

HC Paul Johnson 65-10 65 winning record @ 86%

offensive coordinator in 1985... helped the offense set numerous records, posting a combined 26-4 record from 1985-86 and won the first two I-AA National Championships in program history... in that span coached four All-Americans... became the Eagles head coach in 1997... won two more National Championships (1999, 2000) and led team to 1997 playoff and 1998 title game appearance... advanced to semifinals in 2001... in five years as head coach posted a *(62-10 record)*(.861 winning percentage)... won five straight Southern Conference championships... tied or broke (individual and GSU) 379 team, Southern Conference, playoff or Paulson Stadium records... also ranked among the Top 10 nationally in 21 statistical categories in that span... produced 31 All-Americans, including 1999 Walter Payton Award winner Adrian Peterson... two-time SoCon Coach of the Year... 1998 Eddie Robinson Award winner as I-AA National Coach of the Year... went on to be the head coach at Navy for six years, posting a 45-29 record... led the Midshipmen to a bowl game the last five years... currently the head coach at Georgia Tech... led the Yellow Jackets to double digit wins and competed for an ACC title in his second season (2009)... 2004 Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year... 2007 finalist for Liberty Mutual National Coach of the Year... 2003 finalist as National Coach of the Year... two-time AFCA I-AA National Coach of the Year (1999-2000)... three-time AFCA Region II Coach of the Year.

Paul Johnson's GSU and other schools Head Coaching record using the Flex Option

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_J...ootball_coach)

Jeff Monken Win record 38-14, 704 %

Total record at bottom of Page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi...agles_football

Of course all these coaches also had good defenses.
    Paul Jonsons probably had the best all around players In GSU history

Didn't mean to leave out HC Fritz, staff and players Win record 17-7, 708%

THe coaches above took GSU to the top Quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    In the first to years of being a club team Erk had a winning record with walk on players as a club team
    1982 - 7-3-1
    1983 6-5

While Erk used the triple option from the I formation until he changed to the Flex Option in 1985 he still did great the first year he was in 1aa in 1984 with an 8-3 record

While in 1aa Erk had an 82% win record

!985 - 1999

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erk_Russell

Mike Sewak was still 35-14, 714%, after 4 years going to the playoffs 3 times. I understand that that did not meet GSU standards with the losses in the playoffs. Still not a bad record at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Sewak

HC Paul Johnson 65-10 65 winning record @ 86%

offensive coordinator in 1985... helped the offense set numerous records, posting a combined 26-4 record from 1985-86 and won the first two I-AA National Championships in program history... in that span coached four All-Americans... became the Eagles head coach in 1997... won two more National Championships (1999, 2000) and led team to 1997 playoff and 1998 title game appearance... advanced to semifinals in 2001... in five years as head coach posted a *(62-10 record)*(.861 winning percentage)... won five straight Southern Conference championships... tied or broke (individual and GSU) 379 team, Southern Conference, playoff or Paulson Stadium records... also ranked among the Top 10 nationally in 21 statistical categories in that span... produced 31 All-Americans, including 1999 Walter Payton Award winner Adrian Peterson... two-time SoCon Coach of the Year... 1998 Eddie Robinson Award winner as I-AA National Coach of the Year... went on to be the head coach at Navy for six years, posting a 45-29 record... led the Midshipmen to a bowl game the last five years... currently the head coach at Georgia Tech... led the Yellow Jackets to double digit wins and competed for an ACC title in his second season (2009)... 2004 Bobby Dodd National Coach of the Year... 2007 finalist for Liberty Mutual National Coach of the Year... 2003 finalist as National Coach of the Year... two-time AFCA I-AA National Coach of the Year (1999-2000)... three-time AFCA Region II Coach of the Year.

Paul Johnson's GSU and other schools Head Coaching record using the Flex Option

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_J...ootball_coach)

Jeff Monken Win record 38-14, 704 %

Total record at bottom of Page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi...agles_football

Of course all these coaches also had good defenses.
    Paul Jonsons probably had the best all around players In GSU history
    Great stuff!!! I so want our current offense to do well and players to shine and we get back to being the fastest team on the field etc. I the way home from the LSU game I had my 14 year old watch our game against bama in2011 and he kept asking, why change? He said if we did that with a slower qb (shaw) and less scholarships as against a team that won the championship and gave up 6 points a game why change it. I was asked the same thing at the Payton award banquet by many many many 1aa coaches, 1aa athletic directors, and fans when we fired sewak and van goober was going away from the flex. Why? Loved the identity it gave us and noone wanted to schedule us, now these big p5s dont care at all. Evensaban said when they scheduled us we had hatcher and ran something different or he would not have agreed.
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

If Clemson doesn't commit 3 turnovers in the first half, they beat us just as bad, if not worse than LSU. Clemson put up 600 yards of total offense and LSU put up 470. We put up 140 yards of offense against Clemson, with a huge chunk of that coming on a trick play. We put up 90 against LSU.

Can we please stop with this whole "Well we played great against Clemson last year!" schtick? No we didn't. Vildor made 1 great play for an interception and they gifted us 2 fumbles. Outside of they, we were still dominated in every facet of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by gasouthern01 View Post
    Great stuff!!! I so want our current offense to do well and players to shine and we get back to being the fastest team on the field etc. I the way home from the LSU game I had my 14 year old watch our game against bama in2011 and he kept asking, why change? He said if we did that with a slower qb (shaw) and less scholarships as against a team that won the championship and gave up 6 points a game why change it. I was asked the same thing at the Payton award banquet by many many many 1aa coaches, 1aa athletic directors, and fans when we fired sewak and van goober was going away from the flex. Why? Loved the identity it gave us and noone wanted to schedule us, now these big p5s dont care at all. Evensaban said when they scheduled us we had hatcher and ran something different or he would not have agreed.

Nobody was asking why we changed in 2014 when we led the nation in rushing and went undefeated in conference play in our first year of FBS football. Or in 2015 when we won a bowl game in our first year of eligibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.