TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LSU to being selling beer stadium wide this Saturday

Default LSU to being selling beer stadium wide this Saturday

I think they picked a good game to start!

$8 to $9 per beer.

There appears to also be an area with a $5 cover charge where you can enter to buy mixed drinks in the Stadium.

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...iderail-latest

Default Re: LSU to being selling beer stadium wide this Saturday

It's interesting to see how many folks on this board are so focused on substance use as a component of attending an event.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    It's interesting to see how many folks on this board are so focused on substance use as a component of attending an event.
    This just in: Multiple sports fans reportedly planning to enjoy beer at at least one of this weekend’s scheduled college football games. No word yet on how widespread this activity may be. We’ll bring live updates as details emerge.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

As someone who has most definitely abused alcohol and then learned how to drink responsibly - consumption does not equal abuse.
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

I didn't say anything about substance abuse. Just noticing multiple threads here and Belt board discussing the availability of alcohol during the game as an exciting prospect.

We get it, Cliff. You don’t drink alcohol.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

I certainly respect Cliff’s opinion. Let’s not confuse Get After That Alchohol with Get After Their Arses! GATA. Let’s get it on in the Bayou.

8. Default Re: LSU to being selling beer stadium wide this Saturday

I’m focused on the fact that we are just stepping over a LOT of money for no reason.

(And “yes.” It is possible to have a beer or two without abusing alcohol.)

Plus, we need to provide every incentive to attend. If other schools in GA sell it, we damned sure should as well.

Don’t want a beer? Guess what. Don’t buy one.

This topic keeps popping up here and on social media. Here is our most recent thread https://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthre...hlight=alcohol .

The estimates I have seen regarding revenue is around $200-225k per year, which is less than 1% of our athletic budget. That is hardly a strong reason for selling alcohol to the general public in Paulson, but I do recognize that is $200k more than we collect now. I question whether it would be worth it as it would introduce new issues to handle.

This is not scientific but look around the stadium at the first game. I venture to guess around 40% or more of our fan base is under the age of 21 at a minimum. How would you control underage drinking when a 21 y/o student buys beers for his underage fraternity brothers? We could not give out circular cardboard academic logos at a game without seeing them turned into impromptu frisbees, so now we are giving alcohol to these same fans? LOL

I drive back after most games, so I don’t drink before/during/after the games. The last thing I want is to have some overly excited fan spill their beer on me during the game as I do not wish to smell like a brewery the rest of the night. Will Paulson need to have some family friendly sections so those who do not wish to drink or be around those who are drinking can do so? This is already being done in part of the club level (beer garden). How big of a headache will that be to manage? Will allowing alcohol sales drive some current fans away from the game day experience?

Speaking of the beer garden and other areas where beer is complimentary with that level of donation. Would having alcohol sales to the general public diminish the perceived value of those areas? Would that mean some people who now pay $1200 to buy tickets in the beer garden now choose to pay $300 to sit elsewhere and pay for the beer? How would that impact our donor levels and revenue from those donations?
    What is the increased liability on the program and increased security costs? I can see not just increased stadium security but potentially more issues after the game as well. People who have a chance to sober up during the game now instead will continue to drink during the game.

The bottom line is a very good and detailed study needs to be made of all of the pros and cons to having alcohol sales in Paulson before anything is done. This includes the cost, the revenue, security, game day experience for everyone, and other areas to ensure we are not shooting ourselves in the proverbial foot just to “keep up with the Joneses”. Just because we can does not mean we should (or should not).

10. Default Re: LSU to being selling beer stadium wide this Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by gwinnetteagle88 View Post
    This topic keeps popping up here and on social media. Here is our most recent thread https://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthre...hlight=alcohol .

The estimates I have seen regarding revenue is around $200-225k per year, which is less than 1% of our athletic budget. That is hardly a strong reason for selling alcohol to the general public in Paulson, but I do recognize that is $200k more than we collect now. I question whether it would be worth it as it would introduce new issues to handle.

This is not scientific but look around the stadium at the first game. I venture to guess around 40% or more of our fan base is under the age of 21 at a minimum. How would you control underage drinking when a 21 y/o student buys beers for his underage fraternity brothers? We could not give out circular cardboard academic logos at a game without seeing them turned into impromptu frisbees, so now we are giving alcohol to these same fans? LOL

I drive back after most games, so I don’t drink before/during/after the games. The last thing I want is to have some overly excited fan spill their beer on me during the game as I do not wish to smell like a brewery the rest of the night. Will Paulson need to have some family friendly sections so those who do not wish to drink or be around those who are drinking can do so? This is already being done in part of the club level (beer garden). How big of a headache will that be to manage? Will allowing alcohol sales drive some current fans away from the game day experience?

Speaking of the beer garden and other areas where beer is complimentary with that level of donation. Would having alcohol sales to the general public diminish the perceived value of those areas? Would that mean some people who now pay $1200 to buy tickets in the beer garden now choose to pay $300 to sit elsewhere and pay for the beer? How would that impact our donor levels and revenue from those donations?
    What is the increased liability on the program and increased security costs? I can see not just increased stadium security but potentially more issues after the game as well. People who have a chance to sober up during the game now instead will continue to drink during the game.

The bottom line is a very good and detailed study needs to be made of all of the pros and cons to having alcohol sales in Paulson before anything is done. This includes the cost, the revenue, security, game day experience for everyone, and other areas to ensure we are not shooting ourselves in the proverbial foot just to “keep up with the Joneses”. Just because we can does not mean we should (or should not).
    Simple solution. Only sell beer on the press box side of the stadium. Make beer sales one beer per customer per time to limit beers being passed to persons under 21. Have security monitor people walking from the press box side to the student side and check IDs of anyone carrying beer to further avoid beer from entering the student section. Those wishing to sit in a family friendlier area can simply purchase their season tickets on the no-alcohol side of the stadium in the second level. Meanwhile having concessions with beer - or better yet a few breweries setting up windows - on the press-box side will offer a nice incentive to those fans who wish to have a beer during the game to purchase season tickets for that side of the stadium.