TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Walk on punter

1. Default Re: Walk on punter

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    Yeah. Our punt formation was the single most stressful situation all season long. Especially in the last two months of the season.
    Exactly. Hoping for more space for our punter to kick from this year.

2. Default Re: Walk on punter

Quote Originally Posted by cybereagle View Post
    Exactly. Hoping for more space for our punter to kick from this year.
    Space is not so relevant when it takes longer to get that ball in the air than to make a round trip to the men's room.

Default Re: Walk on punter

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Space is not so relevant when it takes longer to get that ball in the air than to make a round trip to the men's room.
    Well the amount of time it took to get his punts off wasn't helped by the depth at which he was punting from. I'm still not sure why he was as shallow as he was.

4. Default Re: Walk on punter

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Well the amount of time it took to get his punts off wasn't helped by the depth at which he was punting from. I'm still not sure why he was as shallow as he was.
    Maybe long snap accuracy issues? I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEoghan View Post
    Maybe long snap accuracy issues? I dunno.
    The couple of times that Bass punted, he was deeper.

Typically your LS is a walkon, you could rotate guys until you found one that was able to get the snap off consistently if you needed to.

6. Default Re: Walk on punter

Typically your LS is a walkon, you could rotate guys until you found one that was able to get the snap off consistently if you needed to.
    I don't think accuracy was the thing.....

It was the mechanics of the kick. Just fiddled around with the ball for ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I don't think accuracy was the thing.....

It was the mechanics of the kick. Just fiddled around with the ball for ever.
    He was talking about accuracy of the snap getting back to the punter.

I don’t know about depth, but there always seemed to be an extra step in the windup there that both took more time and closed the distance. I just knew we were gonna kick it into our protection’s backside at some point.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

9. Default Re: Walk on punter

He was talking about accuracy of the snap getting back to the punter.
    I get that.

But I don’t think that was the main problem.

I haven’t put a timer to it, but I bet most kicks were almost 4 seconds from catch to air.

That’s way too long. No matter the distance, any halfway decent defense can be all over the kicker in that time.

Coach Lunsford has coached ST play for years and knows the “how and why” and what mistakes were happening and plausible fixes.

“If” we could sit down with him and speak candidly to what we see as fans, that perspective would surely help us understand things better.

In PK and Punting, the difference in ok/good/great can literally be determined by split seconds. One extra step, misstep, or poorly angled snap can make or break you.