TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walk on punter

1. Default Walk on punter

Kevin Jones has joined the team as a walk on. He is a really good punter and played safety at Harlem High, also played baseball. Good kid, good athlete. I think he has a chance to be a 3 year starting punter.
    Last edited by BIGBIRD73; 21st August 2019 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Spelling

Default Re: Walk on punter

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBIRD73 View Post
    Kevin Jones has joined the team as a walk on. He is a really good punter and played safety at Harlem High, also played baseball. Good kid, good athlete. I think he has a chance to be a 3 year starting punter.
    … Ranked 5 stars and the No. 3 punter in the nation by prokicker.com … A high school All-American at punter by prokicker.com 2019 …

3. Default Re: Walk on punter

Quote Originally Posted by eagle95 View Post
    … Ranked 5 stars and the No. 3 punter in the nation by prokicker.com … A high school All-American at punter by prokicker.com 2019 …
    What?!?!? Well, Hail yeah! Great news.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    What?!?!? Well, Hail yeah! Great news.
    Yeah, that about made me spit out my drink.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

5. Default Re: Walk on punter

Quote Originally Posted by eagle95 View Post
    So what’s his story? Why is he a walk on?

hopefully this helps our punting timing. We had some blocks and a lot of near blocks last season.

Nice get...great hang time and distance, plus he kept his cool on a couple of errant snaps. Also laid a lick or two at safety and ST. Diamonds in the rough...

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

7. Default Re: Walk on punter

Excellent news!

WOW!

(This may solve the biggest issue we have..... We all know defenses are seeing what we saw.)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    So what’s his story? Why is he a walk on?

hopefully this helps our punting timing. We had some blocks and a lot of near blocks last season.
    *Let me first say great get and wish him the best......
    Because no offense to him, but you have to consider the source. He had 19 punts last year with one inside the 20. You won't really find the actual top ranked kickers in the country on prokicker. They put a bunch of sites on during the year where anyone can go kick and you can go to as many as you want. They only keep your top scores and use some grading system to automatically score you and post on their site. GS recently had a 4.5 star prokicker #4 long snapper in the nation graduate that saw the field about five times in four years. Luke Cherry several years ago was also a prokicker "alumn". There are more I'm sure.
    *I was a kicker in high school and attended a couple Ray Guy camps. Got a picture with him and Pat Dye.

That said, absolutely no reason not to be excited about him. Just wanted to give a little insight based on Drew's question.

9. Default Re: Walk on punter

https://www.augustachronicle.com/new...southern-allen

Posted Feb 6, 2019 at 5:43 PM
    Updated Feb 6, 2019 at 5:43 PM

Harlem’s typical red, black and white school colors were briefly replaced with silver, gold and blue on Wednesday afternoon as three key players for the school’s football team made commitments to Georgia Southern and Allen University.

Running back A.J. Brown, who was named The Augusta Chronicle’s Georgia Player of the Year and first team All-State, said he chose Georgia Southern after a long process of thinking about schools and talking it over with his parents. The proximity to home was a big factor.

He rushed for nearly 4,000 yards and scored 40 touchdowns in two years, according to head coach Todd Booker. Brown credits the Harlem program for his success.

“It’s just helped me a lot through the season to make me good,” he said.

Punter Kevin Jones will join Brown at Georgia Southern. The two-year starter served as defensive back but led the state with a 49.3 yard average as a punter which earned him a spot on the first feam All-State and the Ray Guy Award from the Augusta Sports Council.

Now Jones is focusing on earning a spot as a starter for the Eagles in the fall and looking forward to the tradition of his future school.

“I just felt like it was the place for me,” he said. “I fit in real well down there and enjoy what they’ve got going on.”

Coach “These guys are in this position now because of what they did in the classroom,” he said. “They put themselves in this position because of hard work and good grades.”

https://gseagles.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3975
    "I believe political correctness is one of the most dangerous movements facing America." Erk Russell

Wow - great get for us!

Always a plus.

A punter is like an Insurance policy - you hope you never need it, but when you do - you better have a good one!

Sounds like we've got a good/great one here! Welcome Kevin!