TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ark State

Default Re: Ark State

My wife's mom died from cancer in 2017. Won't get into it much but it was bad....my wife worked all week here, drove three hours there and back on the weekends to take care of her, first round of chemo hospitalized her and wife slept in a chair in her room for ten days, she coded blue once during and was revived, ate out of a PICC line the last several months of her life, got a little better, didn't make it through the second rounds of treatment and "trial" treatment enrollment. Then her dad started having what we can only assume was stress related dementia afterward.... saw her sitting limbless around the house all the time, would get up and get dressed in the middle of the night to go pick up someone from the airport or walk down the street to see friends (neighbors from 25 years ago in Cleveland, OH), etc. We moved him up here last year and he's still got issues.

Anyways, news out of Harvard yesterday said their scientists have isolated a flavonoid in cannabis that attacks and kills pancreatic cancer cells, second deadliest form of cancer in the US and typically doesn't respond to treatment. They were surprised that it even went outside the treatment area and killed cells metastasised elsewhere so they're thinking it will treat other forms. They also figured out how to artificially synthesize it. Hoping to start human clinical trials next year.

2. Default Re: Ark State

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    My wife's mom died from cancer in 2017. Won't get into it much but it was bad....my wife worked all week here, drove three hours there and back on the weekends to take care of her, first round of chemo hospitalized her and wife slept in a chair in her room for ten days, she coded blue once during and was revived, ate out of a PICC line the last several months of her life, got a little better, didn't make it through the second rounds of treatment and "trial" treatment enrollment. Then her dad started having what we can only assume was stress related dementia afterward.... saw her sitting limbless around the house all the time, would get up and get dressed in the middle of the night to go pick up someone from the airport or walk down the street to see friends (neighbors from 25 years ago in Cleveland, OH), etc. We moved him up here last year and he's still got issues.

Anyways, news out of Harvard yesterday said their scientists have isolated a flavonoid in cannabis that attacks and kills pancreatic cancer cells, second deadliest form of cancer in the US and typically doesn't respond to treatment. They were surprised that it even went outside the treatment area and killed cells metastasised elsewhere so they're thinking it will treat other forms. They also figured out how to artificially synthesize it. Hoping to start human clinical trials next year.
    That's all tough stuff.....

Hopefully advances will happen soon.

Might try and talk your wife into some kind of grief therapy. A guy at work lost his daughter. He said she was on a college volleyball team, very good shape and just died in her sleep one night from some kind of crazy heart issue. This fella said it was very hard, but the best thing he did was join a grief therapy group. He said they give folks the right tools to deal with these horrible events. He said you are gonna deal with it one way or another, and they provide healthy, positive ways to do so. Many people try and improvise, and that usually ends poorly. (This guy's story is pretty inspirational.... He now coaches girl's Lacrosse in HS, and I guess that team has kind of replaced his daughter in a way. He is very proud of that team and has gotten a bunch of kids to the next level on scholarships.) I think it's important to reach out after tragic events like that. Seen too many people deal with stuff the wrong way.

Prayers for all. These sorts of tragedies sure can test a soul.

Reading all of this is a real mixed bag for me, as my wife is currently in treatment for breast cancer. Much of what’s been said is very scary, but on the other hand it increases my gratitude that her struggle hasn’t been as difficult as some of what I’ve been seeing described. She finished all of the chemo she had scheduled two weeks ago today and will begin six weeks of radiation at some point in the near future. It’s been far from a walk in the park (side effects did do a number on her) but she has maintained strong faith and a terrific attitude. Prognosis is good. I’m very proud of her and deeply thankful that we are able to look forward to brighter days. Anyway, I can somewhat empathize with Coach Anderson, but can’t imagine being in his current situation. Prayers for him and all of his wife’s friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by loyaleagle View Post
    Reading all of this is a real mixed bag for me, as my wife is currently in treatment for breast cancer. Much of what’s been said is very scary, but on the other hand it increases my gratitude that her struggle hasn’t been as difficult as some of what I’ve been seeing described. She finished all of the chemo she had scheduled two weeks ago today and will begin six weeks of radiation at some point in the near future. It’s been far from a walk in the park (side effects did do a number on her) but she has maintained strong faith and a terrific attitude. Prognosis is good. I’m very proud of her and deeply thankful that we are able to look forward to brighter days. Anyway, I can somewhat empathize with Coach Anderson, but can’t imagine being in his current situation. Prayers for him and all of his wife’s friends and family.
    Prayers for your family too!

My mom went in for her yearly exam a couple years ago and told them "I don't know why I keep getting these, y'all never find anything."....and you know what happened. They found a spot so small it couldn't be felt. Got it out and did radiation, and some anti-cancer drug afterward that made her so arthritic she almost couldn't use her hands. She asked them how much the drug was supposed to reduce the chance of it coming back and they said about 20% and she said "Well I guess I'll just trust the good Lord not to let it come back" and stopped taking it. Been fine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post

I lost my younger brother this past February to a very aggressive bout of pancreatic cancer. He went through a Whipple procedure (probably the most invasive surgery you could have) and didn't have a good prognosis afterward, but was able to live another 14 months before things spread to his spine and lungs. I'm happy to hear that medical science is working on breakthroughs, and hopeful that soon very few if anyone will need to go through this. My thoughts and prayers are with the Anderson family, and to all families fighting there way through cancer.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

Quote Originally Posted by loyaleagle View Post
    Good to hear from you, loyaleagle, and here’s hoping and praying for a full and complete recovery. I know Mrs. loyaleagle has a great caretaker in you!
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

I was just thinking how amazing it’d be for Blake Anderson, if his team could find a way to beat UGA today. After losing his wife to cancer, that’d be a tremendous boost to his spirit!

Huge shoutout to UGA for their pink out in honor of Andersen’s late wife. Life and love are bigger than football.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Huge shoutout to UGA for their pink out in honor of Andersen’s late wife. Life and love are bigger than football.
    Amen, bro!

Last edited by eagle95; 14th September 2019 at 11:43 AM.

On a lighter note, huge shoutout to the group of shirtless UGA students on the front row that painted themselves pink. Made me feel a lot better about my 44 year old body and not so bad about sitting here with a pile of Starbursts unwrapping them faster than I'm chewing them.