TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

View Poll Results: Who will lead the team in rushing for 2019?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shai Werts

13 23.64%
  • JD King

35 63.64%
  • Wes Kennedy

2 3.64%
  • Logan Wright

4 7.27%
  • Matt Laroche

1 1.82%
  • Someone else

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

Default Re: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Can somebody illuminate for me what you see as the difference in the roles and prototype for RB1 vs RB2 positions? I ask because the consensus seems to have two players cut from very different cloths at your projected #’s 1 and 2 for each position. King and Wright (at 220+) seem to me to be completely different prototypes than Kennedy and LaRoche (at <180), but folks are inclined to interchange them at will.
    Kennedy is used differently because he's not really the guy that's going to get disguised as the cruiser in multiback sets. He's pretty much either there to get a handoff or a pitch. Logan Wright does both running inside and is part of how we can hide our blocking scheme and confuse the look a defense gets. If King can do the same, then you can have two guys on the field that you can't 100% rely on to know what their responsibility is on a play (speaking from a defensive perspective). Also you have some really strong runners out there at the same time.

It's never a bad thing to have different skillsets at RB though, we did the same with Breida/Ramsby. They weren't interchangeable per se but they didn't change the fundamentals of the offense either.

All that said, #1/#2 RB to is just numbers. We're gonna cycle through RBs in the backfield with all the stuff we do. The only position where that won't happen is QB and OL to some degree.

Can somebody illuminate for me what you see as the difference in the roles and prototype for RB1 vs RB2 positions? I ask because the consensus seems to have two players cut from very different cloths at your projected #’s 1 and 2 for each position. King and Wright (at 220+) seem to me to be completely different prototypes than Kennedy and LaRoche (at <180), but folks are inclined to interchange them at will.
    There is no difference. Ideally, both backs would be equally good running inside and outside.

RB1 and RB2 is just a handy way of saying that we play a lot of two-back sets. Think of the halfbacks in the veer and the wishbone.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Won't include Miller on the line:

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Kennedy is used differently because he's not really the guy that's going to get disguised as the cruiser in multiback sets. He's pretty much either there to get a handoff or a pitch. Logan Wright does both running inside and is part of how we can hide our blocking scheme and confuse the look a defense gets. If King can do the same, then you can have two guys on the field that you can't 100% rely on to know what their responsibility is on a play (speaking from a defensive perspective). Also you have some really strong runners out there at the same time.

It's never a bad thing to have different skillsets at RB though, we did the same with Breida/Ramsby. They weren't interchangeable per se but they didn't change the fundamentals of the offense either.

All that said, #1/#2 RB to is just numbers. We're gonna cycle through RBs in the backfield with all the stuff we do. The only position where that won't happen is QB and OL to some degree.
    “Cruiser” exclusively refers to the TE. We will put him back there in the stacked I look.

The rest is just what one would call “tendency.” If we ask one of the two RBs in a 21 formation to lead block, then its just a skillset thing that it will be Wright more frequently than LaRoche. We’ll run the IZ track with Kennedy and pitch to Wright just enough to keep defenses (more) honest.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post

Durn.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

6. Default Re: Guess the two-deep at offense, leading rusher for 2019

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post

That's an absolutely huge loss.

****. Just once, I'd like to not lose a projected starting offensive lineman for the whole season before the season starts.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    There is no difference. Ideally, both backs would be equally good running inside and outside.

RB1 and RB2 is just a handy way of saying that we play a lot of two-back sets. Think of the halfbacks in the veer and the wishbone.
    If that’s the case, I just think it’s interesting that we’ve got a pair of really big backs and a pair of pretty small backs, and we’re ostensibly asking them to do the same things when they’d appear to be suited respectively for distinctive roles. Your halfbacks ideally tended to be mirror images of each other flanking a bigger, stronger, slower fullback. We are so ‘multiple’ now that I’m not sure what the analogue would be. Which of our formations lend themselves to various combinations of fullback and halfback types?

(serious question, and one I’d think is right up your alley, Pete)
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

If that’s the case, I just think it’s interesting that we’ve got a pair of really big backs and a pair of pretty small backs, and we’re ostensibly asking them to do the same things when they’d appear to be suited respectively for distinctive roles. Your halfbacks ideally tended to be mirror images of each other flanking a bigger, stronger, slower fullback. We are so ‘multiple’ now that I’m not sure what the analogue would be. Which of our formations lend themselves to various combinations of fullback and halfback types?

Ideally, we WOULD have mirror images flanking each other: two Jericks, two Breidas, two Wesley Fields, etc.

Then, you could do anything you wanted without showing any “tendencies” based on personnel.

Speed is the most important attribute for a RB in this offense, but running IZ is the most important skill.

Part of what we’ll always see is DeBesse adapting to his personnel. For instance, we saw Logan Wright on the field much more as the season went on.

Part of that is that he proved himself a capable IZ runner.

The other thing is that having him on the field enable us to run a lot of good plays with him leading Werts to the edge. I’m not sure it was technically a “load” scheme (ask Buzz), but it was functionally a lot like some of the stuff we did with Jerick and Swope in 2012 (UCA, for instance).

I don’t see why we couldn’t run those same plays with LaRoche cut blocking, though.

Anyway, there’s no real difference with RB1 and RB2 in our two-back sets. You’re seeing bigs and fasts lineup because everyone assumes our top four look like this:

1 King
    2 Kennedy
    3 Wright
    4 LaRoche

Written as a split-back two-deep, it just comes out as

RB1 King, Wright
    RB2 Kennedy, LaRoche

That’s just a coincidence. Think of it as

A1: Ernest Thompson, JJ Wilcox
    A2: Mark Myers, Zzream Walden
    Thanks, Rastabot!

Oh, here’s a thought:

Didn’t Bo Jackson and Lionel James (5’6” 171lbs) start beside each other at halfback in the wishbone at Auburn?
    Thanks, Rastabot!