TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Shai’s Growth as a Leader

  1. Default Re: Shai’s Growth as a Leader

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Ditto.

    First couple of games were a little shaky, but after that it was ‘Katie, bar the door!”
    What was shaky? Statistically speaking he was our best player. First four games 623 yds rushing and passing and 9 TD's. That doesn't sound shaky at all. He was a leader from the start last year. This is his team.

  2. Default Re: Shai’s Growth as a Leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    What was shaky? Statistically speaking he was our best player. First four games 623 yds rushing and passing and 9 TD's. That doesn't sound shaky at all. He was a leader from the start last year. This is his team.
    The first couple didn’t look great.

    He was trying to do too much by himself still.

    Stiff started working better after the first couple. Those first games were rough. But consider what we came off of.

  3. #13

    Default Re: Shai’s Growth as a Leader

    I’m proud to have him on our team. The young man was classy throughout the nightmare situation.

  4. Default Re: Shai’s Growth as a Leader

    Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    The first couple didn’t look great.

    He was trying to do too much by himself still.

    Stiff started working better after the first couple. Those first games were rough. But consider what we came off of.
    Have you ever played football or coached? You keep trying to say he didn't look great but i gave you stats to dispute it. The offensive line struggled with new scheme and blocking period. He was adjusting to a new system as well. Take out Clemson and it goes to 593 yds in three games. What else do you want? Of course its going to take time to make decisions on pitches and gives at game speed. Some of you guys on here baffle me.

  5. Default Re: Shai’s Growth as a Leader

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    Have you ever played football or coached? You keep trying to say he didn't look great but i gave you stats to dispute it. The offensive line struggled with new scheme and blocking period. He was adjusting to a new system as well. Take out Clemson and it goes to 593 yds in three games. What else do you want? Of course its going to take time to make decisions on pitches and gives at game speed. Some of you guys on here baffle me.
    You keep pointing out his individual stats in a thread about his growth as a leader. I think everyone was impressed with his leadership abilities from day 1. It was obvious, however, I agree that he had room to improve on in-game decisions and pitching the football.

  6. #16

    Default Re: Shai’s Growth as a Leader

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    You keep pointing out his individual stats in a thread about his growth as a leader. I think everyone was impressed with his leadership abilities from day 1. It was obvious, however, I agree that he had room to improve on game time decisions and pitching the football.
    You make a great point. He must have had the traits early on... great leaders first know how to follow; and he followed the previous coach, trusting in the play call, but hesitating on the pitch.

    Kudos to Lunsford for getting the mentality right. Shai has bought into the program 100% and with the right input from CL, he is blooming.
    Last edited by LavenderEagle; 10th August 2019 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammar

  7. #17

    Default Re: Shai’s Growth as a Leader

    Shai is always careful with the ball. He’s not one to take a risk when pitching the ball. In 2017 with the struggles of the offensive line there’s just no way he was going to pitch as much because almost always there was already somebody coming for the pitchman. Back when I was a member of the nest, Pete (I think) went through several games and saw how many times Werts should have pitched when he kept it and it was not this vast amount people acted like it was.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lake Oconee & Savannah
    Posts
    1,431

    Default Re: Shai’s Growth as a Leader

    I'm proud of Shai Wertz and I'm proud he is a Georgia Southern Eagle. He showed great restraint and maturity in this most recent situation. Far more restraint than I would have shown when I was his age. I'd probably still be in jail and I am 50 + years older than him. He is the "do right" that Erk talked about. Yes, he shouldn't have been speeding, but who hasn't at his age (including me).
    "You should always expect to get back less than you put in. Thus, if you put nothing in, you should expect to get less than nothing back"

  9. Default Re: Shai’s Growth as a Leader

    I’ve beeb a supporter of Shai from the beginning. Think of all the adversity this kid has had to overcome. Multiple head coaches, multiple offensive philosophies. Trying to lead a team through a winless season, then his house burning down, now the Saluda Circus was trying to hold him down, it just shows how resilient he is as a player and a person.

    I remember the kind of things some of you were saying about him during the 2017 season. I’m just glad he was able to prove those wrong. I knew he had a high ceiling as an option QB and I can’t wait to see how much he’s matured playing wise. If he makes as big a leap this year as he did last season, it’ll be time to open the record books.

  10. Default Re: Shai’s Growth as a Leader

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    You keep pointing out his individual stats in a thread about his growth as a leader. I think everyone was impressed with his leadership abilities from day 1. It was obvious, however, I agree that he had room to improve on in-game decisions and pitching the football.
    I stated that last part in my own post. I posted stats because jcountry said it looked shaky. I don't understand what looked shaky. He was being a leader on the field. He was making plays with his arm and feet all while still learning the offense. He was being smart with the football and not turning it over.

Similar Threads

  1. Another Stat Leader
    By Venaros in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 31st October 2015, 10:04 PM
  2. Rushing leader..GSU...
    By Benched in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 5th October 2015, 09:03 AM
  3. Growth Potential is GREAT
    By ROCKtheSUNBELT in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16th April 2013, 02:03 PM
  4. Our Growth potential and Why I think it is BIG!
    By Touchdown in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 8th April 2013, 01:16 PM
  5. No Leader
    By half-n-half in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 19th January 2009, 10:20 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •