TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Debesse and this team...

1. Default Can Debesse and this team...

Get back to our offensive production of 2014-15? 350ypg on the ground and 50 plus rushing tds?

1st time poster, long time viewer here

Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle2k13 View Post
    Get back to our offensive production of 2014-15? 350ypg on the ground and 50 plus rushing tds?

1st time poster, long time viewer here
    STFU Noob and welcome.

To answer your question, yes... if that's the way they decide to go. However, Debesse's history adds in more passing than what you saw in 14/15 so you actually may see more of those yards and TD's through the air. The biggest question in my mind is the O-line and RB corps. I'm fairly confident in the OL which will help our young RB group. I do not think LSU or Maine will be indicative of our actual production this year. I'll be excited to see how we perform against Minnesota.
    Quote Originally Posted by StanMolsonMan View Post
    Because.... We're idiots.

I think we can score lots of points in our victories. Much of that depends on whether we try to do that, or play more conservatively, as in 2018.

I’ll take whatever wins the most ballgames.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

If you have any anxieties about either side of the ball then come to the Fan Fest next Saturday if you're able. I think you will feel better.

One thing DeBesse talked about in the Spring wrap-up interview was understanding the "why" part of the offense. A lot of guys that you think aren't going to be any better than they are because they're too old are in fact going to get better not just because we had a scheme change but because I suspect a lot of what the guys that arrived after 2015 didn't learn much useful football-wise until last year.

If Werts stays healthy and injuries don't cripple the offense I think this offense will be a 7.0+ YPP offense.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 9th August 2019 at 03:02 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

5. Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    STFU Noob and welcome.

To answer your question, yes... if that's the way they decide to go. However, Debesse's history adds in more passing than what you saw in 14/15 so you actually may see more of those yards and TD's through the air. The biggest question in my mind is the O-line and RB corps. I'm fairly confident in the OL which will help our young RB group. I do not think LSU or Maine will be indicative of our actual production this year. I'll be excited to see how we perform against Minnesota.
    Which Debesse are you referring to? SHSU or New Mexico? SHSU threw 18 times a game for 151 ypg in their best season with him. NM threw 13 times a game for 106 ypg in their best year with him. Our best year in FBS in 14, we threw 13 times a game for 107 ypg. As i said in another post, 12 attempts per game is the most i think we will see.

Remember Fritz pretty much threw the ball all over the place until Debesse arrived.

Also, SHSU top two receivers that year were also their leading rushers. That was not the case NM.

I’m not going to say we can’t improve but the reality is how many starters on this 2019 team would have started over the 2014 and 2015 guys?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

7. Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    If you have any anxieties about either side of the ball then come to the Fan Fest next Saturday if you're able. I think you will feel better.

One thing DeBesse talked about in the Spring wrap-up interview was understanding the "why" part of the offense. A lot of guys that you think aren't going to be any better than they are because they're too old are in fact going to get better not just because we had a scheme change but because I suspect a lot of what the guys that arrived after 2015 didn't learn much useful football-wise until last year.

If Werts stays healthy and injuries don't cripple the offense I think this offense will be a 7.0+ YPP offense.
    I don't see the 7.0 YPP solely because of the LSU game. Take the Clemson game out last year and we jump from 5.91 to 6.14 YPP. Not to mention Appy's defense is pretty dang good as is Troy's. We got screwed in this conference alignment crap.

8. Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I’m not going to say we can’t improve but the reality is how many starters on this 2019 team would have started over the 2014 and 2015 guys?
    I don’t want to bash anyone on those teams, but I think this group should be much MUCH better on defense in general, and Werts is probably equal to Ellison.

RBs are a question mark, but a minor one I think. We have a lot of great options there.

Special teams, much better-no question. We have a super kicker, and we have been good on kickoff returns.

Overall, I think this team will be much better.

Hmm . . .

Longoria
    Keaton
    Culbreth
    Magana
    Northrop
    Byrd
    Boynton

Those were all starters in multiple games in 2015.

And I might take Shai over Ellison-with-the-yips. I know I’d take him over Upshaw as a full-time starter.

Obviously, Breida is better than anyone we’ve currently got, but I would probably take our current backs over the 2015 guys behind Breida.

So, no, I don’t think we were better at every position in 2015.

I expect to be at least as good—and probably better—everywhere except RB1, C, and TE.
    Last edited by pete4256; 9th August 2019 at 04:33 PM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

10. Default Re: Can Debesse and this team...

I won't they would've started but i believe WK3 and LW would've for sure seen a lot of playing time. LW would've played over LA Ramsby and WK3 would be doing the same as he's doing now.