TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

Quote Originally Posted by Gsuwinsudont View Post
    You and I both aren’t sure what he saw and when. We also don’t know what his client asked him to say or not say and when. To say otherwise is false. I get what your ultimate point here is but not sure why you’re bothered. Ultimately Shai’s Lawyer is on the right side of this and those “officers” were not. Case closed. It’s ok to call a spade a spade.
    Yes, the case should be closed but it's clearly not. I'm bothered because people like Bill Torpy are using this situation to try to make a political point when he has no idea what was going through these cops' minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Eagle View Post
    There is link to the full body cam footage ( or at least 30 mins). ..........
    Do you happen to have that link? I've only seen small segments.

I think the big question regarding potential illegal search, is whether or not "dipping off" combined with not stopping right away is actual legal probable cause.
    I don't know the answer to that. I understand why Werts did those things and have no problem with his actions (other than speeding ).
    I do think the officer got emotional after those two things and seemed to have a desire to find anything possible to hold against Shai.
    I do not believe that race had anything to do with that, I think he was upset probably before he even knew Wert's race.

Now whether or not race was involved with a tendency to believe drugs were involved might be a different story but it would be hard to prove. Was the search done with absolutely zero probable cause? IDK, one could certainly argue that dipping off and delaying stopping are similar to actions taken by those who are trying to buy time to hide something, get rid of evidence or delay apprehension.

Obviously Wert's is as clean as a whistle other than speeding and I'm sure thankful for that.
    I like to see us all strive to take emotion out of the picture (as the officer should have done) when we are evaluating what occurred.

In passing: There was an interesting segment on one of the Sav. TV stations last night that began with the opening of the new crime lab in Pooler. The segment then discussed the number of backlogged cases in Georgia because of lack of capacity at state crime labs to process evidence. I remain amazed at the speed of evidence processing in Shai's case. I truly expected the sample testing to drag out for 30 days or more in South Carolina.

4. Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerado View Post

I think the big question regarding potential illegal search, is whether or not "dipping off" combined with not stopping right away is actual legal probable cause.
    I don't know the answer to that. I understand why Werts did those things and have no problem with his actions (other than speeding ).
    I do think the officer got emotional after those two things and seemed to have a desire to find anything possible to hold against Shai.
    I do not believe that race had anything to do with that, I think he was upset probably before he even knew Wert's race.

Now whether or not race was involved with a tendency to believe drugs were involved might be a different story but it would be hard to prove. Was the search done with absolutely zero probable cause? IDK, one could certainly argue that dipping off and delaying stopping are similar to actions taken by those who are trying to buy time to hide something, get rid of evidence or delay apprehension.

Obviously Wert's is as clean as a whistle other than speeding and I'm sure thankful for that.
    I like to see us all strive to take emotion out of the picture (as the officer should have done) when we are evaluating what occurred.
    I don’t think “dipping off” was probable cause for a search of the car. Sometimes, you can use the arrest itself as probable cause. But I think in this case, that would be faulty as well.

The cops jumped to conclusions about what that substance on the car was, where it came from, and what Shai was doing.

I don’t think they had PC to search anything. Even with the test kit results. No one is in “possession” of anything sticking to the outside of their car unless and until they admit putting it there. (That was Shai’s one mistake. In restrospect, he could have said nothing. Just don’t respond to any questions.). But the fact that he thought it was bird poop was reasonable, and didn’t give the cops PC to even touch it.

Other things that look bad for the cops are the fact that they made smart *** statements like “he had a football scholarship, but he’s sh** outta luck now” (paraphrasing.)

I definitely believe this was al illegal arrest, search, and that it was done maliciously. Those cops’ continuous little smartass statements do not help them.

However, I don’t think a lawsuit would be that great an idea. It might be successful, it might not. I do think at least one of those officers should be fired and banned from police work. He’s nothing but trouble, and will just get worse. That guy really needs to find another career. He’s not smart enough to understand his limits and that will eventually get him in deep trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerado View Post

Talked with my police officer neighbor a couple days ago about some of this. Here's almost exact quotes from him:

Concerning the "dipping off": "If you don't have your lights and/or siren on, **** you. You're not attempting to stop anyone."

Concerning testing the hood: "There's no reason to test it if you didn't see it get thrown on there. If it's in a baggie, in a pocket, hidden in the car, if the person is acting weird etc. then yeah but there was no cause here."

Concerning the 911 call and trying to get to town: "That's what WE want you to do too. We're not crazy about approaching someone in the dark or an unsafe area either."

Concerning the "it's pink" test results (which I think has been generally agreed given the postings by an officer here and test guidelines were a ****ed up negative not a false positive): "The kits are pretty reliable IF you know what you're doing and IF you're testing something that you're already pretty sure is drugs....if you don't know what the **** you're doing than you shouldn't even be using them."

BTW, his force is located in a town of 2600 people. Just your average small town cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Yes, the case should be closed but it's clearly not. I'm bothered because people like Bill Torpy are using this situation to try to make a political point when he has no idea what was going through these cops' minds.
    Yes he did the video proves it. I think he is showing people can jump to conclusions, even cops. Do you think if you got stopped with bird poop on the windshield it would have been tested for cocaine? Probably not. Saluda cops look silly because it was a stretch from the start. Just look at all the cops posting and quoted here who have said as much. I hope they make them pay big time, just do it after the season.
    Rick Kinney
    Class of 1980
    Irmo, SC

7. Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTide View Post
    Yes he did the video proves it. I think he is showing people can jump to conclusions, even cops. Do you think if you got stopped with bird poop on the windshield it would have been tested for cocaine? Probably not. Saluda cops look silly because it was a stretch from the start. Just look at all the cops posting and quoted here who have said as much. I hope they make them pay big time, just do it after the season.
    That would be the right strategy.

If Werts wants to take action, fine by me. But please do it in January. We sure don't need subpoenas and depositions messing up our season.

Exactly how much salary did Shai miss when he was in jail for 12 hours? How much salary did he miss while being suspended from the team like 2 days? How much class time? Missed tests? So all you got left is pain and suffering.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

9. Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Exactly how much salary did Shai miss when he was in jail for 12 hours? How much salary did he miss while being suspended from the team like 2 days? How much class time? Missed tests? So all you got left is pain and suffering.
    Pretty sure there's nothing in the bill of rights about monetary damages.

Think about that for a moment. You'll figure out why.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTide View Post
    The video proves the cops are racist? Ok. If I tried running from them, then I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to search me either.