TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 56

Thread: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Evans, GA
    Posts
    18,106

    Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

    Quote Originally Posted by Gsuwinsudont View Post
    Well they didn’t follow proper procedure so.....
    Then why did he say that to start with?

  2. #32

    Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Then why did he say that to start with?
    Maybe he didnít have the full picture yet when he said it? Maybe he gave them them the benefit of the doubt but changed his mind later. Seems fair to me.

  3. Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Then why did he say that to start with?
    Unlike many on this board he didnít jump to conclusions. Itís not a good habit to have in his profession.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Evans, GA
    Posts
    18,106

    Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

    Quote Originally Posted by Gsuwinsudont View Post
    Maybe he didn’t have the full picture yet when he said it? Maybe he gave them them the benefit of the doubt but changed his mind later. Seems fair to me.
    He said it after the charges were dropped. I'm sure he saw the same footage as everyone else. In fact, he went so far as to say they did nothing wrong in collecting evidence.

  5. #35

    Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

    What happened to Shai Werts?

  6. #36

    Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    He said it after the charges were dropped. I'm sure he saw the same footage as everyone else. In fact, he went so far as to say they did nothing wrong in collecting evidence.
    You and I both arenít sure what he saw and when. We also donít know what his client asked him to say or not say and when. To say otherwise is false. I get what your ultimate point here is but not sure why youíre bothered. Ultimately Shaiís Lawyer is on the right side of this and those ďofficersĒ were not. Case closed. Itís ok to call a spade a spade.
    Last edited by Gsuwinsudont; 15th August 2019 at 09:33 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Evans, GA
    Posts
    18,106

    Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

    Quote Originally Posted by Gsuwinsudont View Post
    You and I both arenít sure what he saw and when. We also donít know what his client asked him to say or not say and when. To say otherwise is false. I get what your ultimate point here is but not sure why youíre bothered. Ultimately Shaiís Lawyer is on the right side of this and those ďofficersĒ were not. Case closed. Itís ok to call a spade a spade.
    Yes, the case should be closed but it's clearly not. I'm bothered because people like Bill Torpy are using this situation to try to make a political point when he has no idea what was going through these cops' minds.

  8. #38

    Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Eagle View Post
    There is link to the full body cam footage ( or at least 30 mins). ..........
    Do you happen to have that link? I've only seen small segments.

    I think the big question regarding potential illegal search, is whether or not "dipping off" combined with not stopping right away is actual legal probable cause.
    I don't know the answer to that. I understand why Werts did those things and have no problem with his actions (other than speeding ).
    I do think the officer got emotional after those two things and seemed to have a desire to find anything possible to hold against Shai.
    I do not believe that race had anything to do with that, I think he was upset probably before he even knew Wert's race.

    Now whether or not race was involved with a tendency to believe drugs were involved might be a different story but it would be hard to prove. Was the search done with absolutely zero probable cause? IDK, one could certainly argue that dipping off and delaying stopping are similar to actions taken by those who are trying to buy time to hide something, get rid of evidence or delay apprehension.

    Obviously Wert's is as clean as a whistle other than speeding and I'm sure thankful for that.
    I like to see us all strive to take emotion out of the picture (as the officer should have done) when we are evaluating what occurred.

  9. #39

    Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

    In passing: There was an interesting segment on one of the Sav. TV stations last night that began with the opening of the new crime lab in Pooler. The segment then discussed the number of backlogged cases in Georgia because of lack of capacity at state crime labs to process evidence. I remain amazed at the speed of evidence processing in Shai's case. I truly expected the sample testing to drag out for 30 days or more in South Carolina.

  10. #40

    Default Re: Werts' attorney tells WJCL that all charges have been dropped

    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerado View Post
    Do you happen to have that link? I've only seen small segments.

    I think the big question regarding potential illegal search, is whether or not "dipping off" combined with not stopping right away is actual legal probable cause.
    I don't know the answer to that. I understand why Werts did those things and have no problem with his actions (other than speeding ).
    I do think the officer got emotional after those two things and seemed to have a desire to find anything possible to hold against Shai.
    I do not believe that race had anything to do with that, I think he was upset probably before he even knew Wert's race.

    Now whether or not race was involved with a tendency to believe drugs were involved might be a different story but it would be hard to prove. Was the search done with absolutely zero probable cause? IDK, one could certainly argue that dipping off and delaying stopping are similar to actions taken by those who are trying to buy time to hide something, get rid of evidence or delay apprehension.

    Obviously Wert's is as clean as a whistle other than speeding and I'm sure thankful for that.
    I like to see us all strive to take emotion out of the picture (as the officer should have done) when we are evaluating what occurred.
    Talked with my police officer neighbor a couple days ago about some of this. Here's almost exact quotes from him:

    Concerning the "dipping off": "If you don't have your lights and/or siren on, **** you. You're not attempting to stop anyone."

    Concerning testing the hood: "There's no reason to test it if you didn't see it get thrown on there. If it's in a baggie, in a pocket, hidden in the car, if the person is acting weird etc. then yeah but there was no cause here."

    Concerning the 911 call and trying to get to town: "That's what WE want you to do too. We're not crazy about approaching someone in the dark or an unsafe area either."

    Concerning the "it's pink" test results (which I think has been generally agreed given the postings by an officer here and test guidelines were a ****ed up negative not a false positive): "The kits are pretty reliable IF you know what you're doing and IF you're testing something that you're already pretty sure is drugs....if you don't know what the **** you're doing than you shouldn't even be using them."

    BTW, his force is located in a town of 2600 people. Just your average small town cop.

Similar Threads

  1. MANBEAR THE PIG DROPPED THE ROCK
    By sills123 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28th May 2011, 06:26 PM
  2. Why Coastal dropped us from schedule....
    By SunBeltNightmare in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 23rd February 2011, 10:04 AM
  3. Unofficial source tells me...
    By eagle2002 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 24th November 2009, 10:13 PM
  4. Has the available talent to GSU dropped off?
    By GATA ERK in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 9th November 2009, 11:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •